A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High Beam: Bi-Xenon Only to Bi-Xenon with Halogen High Beam

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 12:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default High Beam: Bi-Xenon Only to Bi-Xenon with Halogen High Beam

For anyone who has owned another car with Bi-Xenon Headlights, like a BMW, whenever the high beam is triggered and locked the bi-xenon flap opens, and the halogen high beams triggers as well. It provides quite a bit of light vs just bi-xenon alone. Now with my 2004 A8 I noticed it only triggers the bi-xenon flap. So tonight while I was bored; I decided to do a little exploring with VCDS and found that if you change the ILM Fahrer coding you can get the headlights to trigger both bi-xenon and halogen high beams, when the high beam is triggered and locked, providing more light. Here is the procedure for those of you who are interested in doing this for your own A8s, or related model.

First get VCDS running and select 09-Cent. Elect..

Then go to coding

Once in coding make sure to copy your original coding set-up, just incase anything goes wrong, and focus on the last number. It needs to be changed from, in my case, 3 to 1.

If your vehicle is a different model, or different year it is always best to refer to this pop up once you enter coding. It will tell you which number to change for a specific setting.

Once you find out which number to change, in my case it was 3 to 1, type in the new number.

Now that you have changed the number, click Do It! And if the coding is accepted it will display a: "coding accepted" pop up.

Finally when triggering the high beams in the locked position, it should trigger both the bi-xenon flap and the halogen high beam light simultaneously. Hopefully this isn't already common knowledge and will help anyone else curious about this modification. Happy coding!

I will also try and post a video without and with this coding so you may see the difference in the amount of light emitted.

Last edited by jlbell; 03-19-2016 at 01:00 AM.
The following users liked this post:
maxandtara (12-11-2019)
Old 03-19-2016, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Thanks. In other news, Kennedy was assassinated....

Yes, this is quite common knowledge. Many threads about it. Virtually everyone here in the US & Canada with the Ross-Tech cable has made this modification as well as the remote key all windows down & sunroof tilt up as well as all windows up & sunroof close via key fob coding change.

Not trying to be a jerk to you as your step-by step screen shots with markings are very handy and show you put in a nice effort to show everyone this. This might have been better to put in one of the earlier threads about this.

Last edited by Mister Bally; 03-19-2016 at 04:55 AM.
Old 03-19-2016, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Well I didn't know about it. Not that I need it as I live in the rest of the world.
In all fairness if you don't know about it you won't know to search for it.
Anyway doesn't hurt to let newer people hear about it.
I will wager a lot of people have not heard about it plus slow time at the forum.
Good write up by the way.
Old 03-19-2016, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
Thanks. In other news, Kennedy was assassinated....

Yes, this is quite common knowledge. Many threads about it. Virtually everyone here in the US & Canada with the Ross-Tech cable has made this modification as well as the remote key all windows down & sunroof tilt up as well as all windows up & sunroof close via key fob coding change.

Not trying to be a jerk to you as your step-by step screen shots with markings are very handy and show you put in a nice effort to show everyone this. This might have been better to put in one of the earlier threads about this.
I just found you old post about it after searching for 30 mins. I blame the search function, everyone seems to hate the design and its hard to find things. Plus the original thread wasn't specific as to xenon to xenon and halogen. Thats why I originally had trouble finding it on here or google. Thanks for the compliment though.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So maybe you know how to do the same option to a6 f4?
Old 12-02-2016, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I had this option in my 2005...brightest lights in a car I've ever drove.
Old 12-03-2016, 12:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Mike141
I had this option in my 2005...brightest lights in a car I've ever drove.
GREAT POST AS A NEWBIE HELPS A LOT THANKS
Old 12-03-2016, 03:15 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

So anybody have FTP lights together with bi-xenon high beam on AUDI A6 4F facelift?
Old 12-03-2016, 03:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by bobster1121
GREAT POST AS A NEWBIE HELPS A LOT THANKS
Yeah, not a newbie here and as Mister Bally said this has been covered numerous times in the past 10yrs or so. Why don't we talk about how a vehicle gets vandalized? You think there this only happens in the UK, come on, talk about a waste of space on this great site https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...m-usa-2910486/
Have a good day.
Old 12-03-2016, 04:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Mike141
Yeah, not a newbie here and as Mister Bally said this has been covered numerous times in the past 10yrs or so. Why don't we talk about how a vehicle gets vandalized? You think there this only happens in the UK, come on, talk about a waste of space on this great site https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...m-usa-2910486/
Have a good day.
Sorry but forums are for everyone and i didn't realize THE NEWBIES should know everything ? everyone starts somewhere and if you cant be bothered to help with posts then that is fine but its far easier to put people down then help then you have a real problem also people sometimes need to vent see post vandalism is that so bad ? i mean really can you hear yourself when you write these posts?.
so things get re-covered is that really so bad? could you not just chip in and help? would that be so bad? do we have to keep everything to meer technical questions and if so questions not covered before? if this is the case could you list all the topics that have been covered so i dont waste any of your time on this great site
regards bob

Quick Reply: High Beam: Bi-Xenon Only to Bi-Xenon with Halogen High Beam