A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horrible sound, but the car is off...

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
Always specify Genuine WABCO; George Westinghouse would be proud!
Damn skippy!

Originally Posted by richard-tx
It certainly sounds like the compressor has failed. I would NOT drive the car until it has been repaired or replaced. The hot plastic smell is likely from the insulation on the wires melting due to excessive current draw.
Excessive current draw would be stopped by the appropriately sized fuse. If a run-on condition is occurring then most likely there is significant heat building up in the unit. I've seen plastic inside the unit melt.
Old 01-26-2016, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by GradecEngineering

Excessive current draw would be stopped by the appropriately sized fuse. If a run-on condition is occurring then most likely there is significant heat building up in the unit. I've seen plastic inside the unit melt.
It sort of depends. If it is fused correctly and everything can handle the rated current for extended periods of time, then that is a reasonable assessment. However if the engineers did not specify 100% duty cycle on the wiring, the wires could overheat and not melt the fuse.

Additionally, It could be the relay that is causing the hot plastic smell or possibly something else.
Old 01-26-2016, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

If suspension air compressor turns out to be fried BTW, be sure to change the relay at same time. Std. Audi service practice now.

BTW, as others are hinting, make sure it is not something else. No, not the parking brake motor noise if what you hear is clearly up front. But, real world first person example. Post my strut change car starts making noises up front I can hear faintly when driving. Oh #@#$, the suspension compressor was initial reaction hearing it for the first time when parking one day at Home Depot, frankly especially w/ all the air play it gets on this board. But it would go away by the time I got home so I could't be sure.

Finally I realized to check it with AC function on and off. Yep a change in sound pattern. Another oh @#$# moment when I figured maybe the major-impossible-to-get-to W12 AC compressor if it needed more than some refrigerant or oil. Nope, not that either though at time I figured I might get charge checked/serviced in due course. I next went to pull serp belt to get at water pump--which I had intended to change anyway--when I realized the AC compressor pulley had just moved laterally and went off angle. Long story short, the pulley itself failed, first apparently at the bearing. Set up some gawd awful screeching in its later throes. Inside is a rubber clutch buffer sort of thing to protect the compressor and also buffer the motor some from load cycling. Yes, once I popped hood I knew it was toward front of motor and not over by drivers fender with compressor. But, as I said, first time I heard a new noise, my first instinct was air suspension compressor. Even once I got to knowing it was in front of motor, I thought water pump. Nope, it was the AC compressor pulley just a few inches apart from it. All can share sort of similar bad noises as they head south, as can some other things on motor.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 01-26-2016 at 10:34 AM.
Old 01-26-2016, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dealer hasn't got to the car yet, hope to know something tomorrow.

From what I've read if it is the Compressor should I expect around $2,500 parts & labor??
and are there any refurbished compressors recommended? If my plastics have melted, not sure the o-ring refurb kit would be sufficient
Old 01-26-2016, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Depends on where you are located as dealer labor rates vary wildly: $105.00/hr to $180.00/hr.

In a lower labor rate area, figure $1600.00 for a dealer to do the job.

WABCO Reman Solutions has started remanufacturing these compressors. Primarily for GM and Mercedes. Not sure if they made it to the VW/Audi service parts network in North America.
Old 01-26-2016, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

I believe that Rebuild Master Tech has a compressor and a relay for $500.00 new I believe. Not really hard to replace. Maybe an hour and a half at most
Old 01-26-2016, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

You can also buy an Arnott compressor from Amazon for $514 then find an indy to install it for way less than the dealer.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by tx170754
You can also buy an Arnott compressor from Amazon for $514 then find an indy to install it for way less than the dealer.
And similarly I have seen new WABCO's on EBay Germany in the past for a whole lot less than dealer type prices here, some of whom would ship to USA. There is also a used on on EBay right now out of a 2008 S8 for $320, shipped: Audi A8 Quattro S8 Suspension Air Compressor Wabco 4E0 616 007 E | eBay
Old 01-27-2016, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

We'll, the dealership has me swearing up a storm.

Their diagnosis is worn bushings... So apparently when the car is parked with engine off, the bushings suddenly start making noises on there own and spew fumes into the cabin.

Next time I'll just pay you guys the diagnosis fee, I get quicker and better results here in the forum.
Old 01-27-2016, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mishar
If it is not for that smell I would ask you if you are sure it is not parking brake calibrating.
The first time I heard the parking brake calibrate, I thought I was going to have to tow my car home. Scary sound.

Quick Reply: Horrible sound, but the car is off...