A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I open an Alarm Siren

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I open an Alarm Siren

I have removed the alarm siren from my 2004 A8 D3. Is there a way to open the nit without damaging it, or is it a sealed unit?

Many thanks
Old 02-28-2015, 09:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

it is sealed, from what I have read you need to cut it open using a saw at the seam.

I need to fix mine, but donīt know when I will get around to it
Old 02-28-2015, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I just bought a new one for $217. It has rechargeable battery that dies over time and fragile piezo horn difficult to fix if it lost a contact. It also can draw power and drain car battery.
Old 03-01-2015, 01:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

I opened mine using a sharp craft knife. Very simple. However now its open I now know why mine wasn't working properly. The battery has leaked acid on the PCB and the tracks have been melted into one. Unrepairable.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I did the same with the first one, fixed the horn and it worked for some time. Than I bought a used one and it worked for some time. Now I have a new one and I am sorry I didn't go that way at the first place. I am positive that it was just waste of my time. My advise is: don't try to fix it. Buy a new one.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah, Im going to buy a new one. If I buy a used one im going to end up with the same problem.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mishar
I did the same with the first one, fixed the horn and it worked for some time. Than I bought a used one and it worked for some time. Now I have a new one and I am sorry I didn't go that way at the first place. I am positive that it was just waste of my time. My advise is: don't try to fix it. Buy a new one.
IMHO it's best advice of the day! ;-)
For free!
Old 03-01-2015, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder how difficult it would be to mod this so that the batteries would be external to the horn. Should just be positive and negative pin-outs. If it were to leak or go bad, you just disconnect the bad battery and connect a new set that could be housed in a separate box.
Old 03-01-2015, 03:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mishar
Mishar was their any product warranty? When purchasing my used alarm horn I agreed with the assumption that the alarm horn units were all produced around the same time frame. So since the batteries installed in te alarm horns have done their damage up to this date, why would a 'new unused' alarm horn NOT leak as its been sitting on a shelf the past +/- 5 years? Could you shine some light on this?
Old 03-01-2015, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by 707chris
... all produced around the same time frame.
I don't think this assumption is right. It would be too much money locked into the future production and yes, batteries would die eventually. I am not sure about parts dynamics, but it is probably based on a monthly production, including spare parts. I also know that various VW cars have the same or very similar horns. Probably D4 too. Bottom line, they are producing them as needed.

Quick Reply: How do I open an Alarm Siren