A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi W12 Exhaust tip & bumper

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 11:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi W12 Exhaust tip & bumper

Hi,

I have just bought and 2009 Audi A8L 4.2 TDI. I really like the W12 end of the A8 and wonder whats needed to get the exhaust tips.

Do i need to replace the whole rear bumper or just the lower part (if that is removable).

Regards
Kenneth
Old 03-31-2014, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts
Default On W12 bumper--

The skin is all one piece, and I had had it off so can confirm that. The exhaust is not attached to the bumper cover in any way, but rather "floats"/protrudes into those trimmed out openings you see. That chrome trim is itself a separate--and very expensive--part/assembly on a W12 set up. Even years ago, I remember it was more than $400, per side.

I actually recall a recent eBay listing for the D3 W12 trim sets if you search to see if it is still there. You would need both the trim sets and the bumper cover, assuming you can fashion your final end tailpipes to duct into that trim. That part should be do-able from what I have seen on my W12 set up, including with the bumper cover off and stock W12 exhaust all there. The exhaust itself is kind of in the shadows buried in that trim opening, so you really have to look closely to see the functional part.

BTW, also notice on current D4 A8 and especially the refresh with the bigger motors that styling wise they are continuing this trapezoidal sort of exhaust trim look with quasi concealed actual pipes, and it seems pretty widely copied now too on other luxo iron--big Lexus, Merc's, etc.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

The whole rear bumper, the lower section with the exhaust ports is not sold separately. See link with parts diagram:

http://genuineaudiparts.com/parts/20...iagram=1361590
Old 03-31-2014, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default See my other reply; need to look further...

the trapezoidal trim should be a yet further part--series of them actually with screws and other bit parts. It screws to the cover and is fully removed for paint. It may be in the exhaust components parts listing, or somewhere else. As I said, pricy--it will double the apparent bumper cover only cost.

The chrome trim inserts that run laterally across the whole bumper cover also need to be purchased for another several hundred $; those are shown in the diagram that was attached.

Best play here would be a complete W12 donor rear bumper from a wrecked one. Since a lot of W12 totals are probably in the front or a T bone, fair chance they could be found somewhere with a thorough search. Not just eBay type stuff, but the wrecking yards/dismantlers themselves.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 03-31-2014 at 11:56 AM.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Default I have done the upgrade...

[QUOTE=NOR_KNet;24555545
I have just bought and 2009 Audi A8L 4.2 TDI. I really like the W12 end of the A8 and wonder whats needed to get the exhaust tips.

Do i need to replace the whole rear bumper or just the lower part (if that is removable).

Regards
Kenneth[/QUOTE]

I think the W12 bumper looks much better than the 4.2 rear end. So when I bought my 4.2 I converted. I bought a new W12 bumper because at that time there was not a W12 in a yard in the US as far as I could find. And new ones are not prohibitive in cost when you think about the scope of the improvement to aesthetics your making.

The exhaust tips were priced at $1000 for the pair...and I would not have done the conversion if I had to pay that kind of money for tips. What a ridiculous sum for the same type of thing that hangs on the wall at a Midas shop for probably $65; no more material or manufacturing steps to the W12 tips. The tips bolt to the backside of the bumper.

But I was fortunate to find a chap on the forum here who had fancied the S8 look and had ran dual pipes out the rectangular openings in his W12's bumper. So he sold me his tips for 100 Pounds. Every now and then there is a set on German eBay. There is a set right now, but they have been annodized black.

I had to take my car to a muffler shop and have different hangers welded on to my mufflers so that the exhaust outlet of the mufflers (you remove the stainless 4.2 tips)would center up behind the W12 tips. Then there was a bit of torching away some metal that would have rubbed against the mufflers in their new location. The fabrication cost less than $100. I also painted the aft end of my mufflers flat black.

And the mod still brings me pleasure when I see my A8 from the rear...Go for it !

Last edited by awdinut; 03-31-2014 at 04:46 PM.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default For OP, if you are in Europe and see this pronto...

here is the whole thing--cover, trim and all, currently at next to nothing and going in next half day.

Regardless, you can also see pictures of the trim from inside the bumper in this listing.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Audi-A8-4E-W1...item2a39f637f3

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 03-31-2014 at 05:42 PM.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Impressed

Wow.. Im impressed how quick i got an reply regards to my "problems".

Thanks a lot guys.

So i know it can be done, and its not cheap unless i buy used parts.

I have other plans for this car aswell.

- S8 Front bumper
- W12 Grill (remove the W12 badge and add the V8 instead)
- either paint the interior trim high gloss black or swop it for carbon fiber
- lower it abit (not much)
- buy some 21" MTM Bimoto rims
- Tune it

So when all that is done i think my wallet will not be as happy but the owner will carry the biggest smile of his life (at that time)

Regards
Kenneth
Old 04-09-2014, 05:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Anyone know if the front bumper trim (parts with chrome) of the Audi A8L can be transfer to the s8 front bumper?

And since i have the facelift A8 front, will i need to buy a new housing for my foglights when converting to S8 facelift front bumper?

Regards
Kenneth
Old 04-09-2014, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by NOR_KNet
Anyone know if the front bumper trim (parts with chrome) of the Audi A8L can be transfer to the s8 front bumper?

And since i have the facelift A8 front, will i need to buy a new housing for my foglights when converting to S8 facelift front bumper?

Regards
Kenneth
I'm pretty sure they will fit, although I bought all new ones when I changed to a S8 bumper. You will have to get new fog lights and covers. The grills are interchangeable as well. I updated mine to a 08 W12 grill and I really like the look. I get daily compliments from strangers at parking lots and gas stations.

You can get 08 square fog light kits on ebay for a good price. If you want the 07 round fogs, you will have to buy them individually from the dealer.

Last edited by TSHong; 04-09-2014 at 05:31 PM.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by TSHong
I'm pretty sure they will fit, although I bought all new ones when I changed to a S8 bumper. You will have to get new fog lights and covers. The grills are interchangeable as well. I updated mine to a 08 W12 grill and I really like the look. I get daily compliments from strangers at parking lots and gas stations.

You can get 08 square fog light kits on ebay for a good price. If you want the 07 round fogs, you will have to buy them individually from the dealer.
So i need fog light housing and grill or do i need complete fog lights? I have the square facelift fog lights on my regular A8 bumper but those will not fit?

Regards
Kenneth

Quick Reply: Audi W12 Exhaust tip & bumper