A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to remove trunk lid trim?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to remove trunk lid trim?

I've got a passenger inboard taillight with condensation and I want to take a look at sealing it up. However, I can't figure out how to get the trim off to get at it. Obviously I'm missing some screws somewhere but not sure where. Anybody have a write up on how it comes off?

Thanks
Old 09-17-2013, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default I can't believe I didn't write this up

I've been opening this trunk trim so many times and I didn't even write up about it, I thought it was so obvious, but it wasn't.

Remove the tool box (4 screws), pop the cover out to see the screws

Remove the handle

Pop the rubber cover of the trunk latch out or if you pull the trim off, it will come out with it.

Remove 2 screws inside the right latch handle (picture above).

Now start popping out the clips along the trim, start with the top corner first until they all pop out, you can remove the lights and the trunk electric close switch plugs.

Hope this is clear enough

Cheers,

Louis

Last edited by ltooz_a6_a8_q7; 09-17-2013 at 03:09 PM.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Remove the tool kit (I think - mine is missing, grrr), then...
There's a screw in the recessed black trunk lid pull-down handle on the right side of the lid, then you pry off the glow-in-the-dark part of that release and the screw has to come out (has loctite BTW) then there are big spring clips which hold the whole lid liner on, I used half a clothespin to avoid scratching as I pried between the painted metal and the mouse fur liner (takes a bit of force, don't worry the spring clips are very stout). I first removed the bump stops but IIRC it was not necessary (they unscrew with an adjustable wrench).
I took pics but I am so busy lately haven't had time to do a DIY on here. I had the same leaky light problem as you!
-Tom
Old 09-17-2013, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aTOMic*
Remove the tool kit (I think - mine is missing, grrr), then...
There's a screw in the recessed black trunk lid pull-down handle on the right side of the lid, then you pry off the glow-in-the-dark part of that release and the screw has to come out (has loctite BTW) then there are big spring clips which hold the whole lid liner on, I used half a clothespin to avoid scratching as I pried between the painted metal and the mouse fur liner (takes a bit of force, don't worry the spring clips are very stout). I first removed the bump stops but IIRC it was not necessary (they unscrew with an adjustable wrench).
I took pics but I am so busy lately haven't had time to do a DIY on here. I had the same leaky light problem as you!
-Tom
Louis
Nice, good info thanks for posting.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks for all the help guys!!

Now if I could've figured out how to get my hand in the trunk gizards to release the wiring clip I'd have done better.

Instead I pried the whole tail light apart and unclipped from inside. Sealed the outer edge and gasket with clear silicon. Not the prettiest but you can't see from the exterior.

Ran it to a self wash place and used the high pressure hose out, seems to be holding up until I'm in the mood to spend $400 on a replacement.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by obLu
Thanks for all the help guys!!

Now if I could've figured out how to get my hand in the trunk gizards to release the wiring clip I'd have done better.

Instead I pried the whole tail light apart and unclipped from inside. Sealed the outer edge and gasket with clear silicon. Not the prettiest but you can't see from the exterior.

Ran it to a self wash place and used the high pressure hose out, seems to be holding up until I'm in the mood to spend $400 on a replacement.
Keep your eye on the eBay ads. I found a brand new LED inboard taillight for $153 delivered from Slovakia.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
I've been opening this trunk trim so many times and I didn't even write up about it, I thought it was so obvious, but it wasn't.

Remove the handle

Pop the rubber cover of the trunk latch out or if you pull the trim off, it will come out with it.

Now start popping out the clips along the trim, start with the top corner first until they all pop out, you can remove the lights and the trunk electric close switch plugs.

Cheers,

Louis
Thanks for sharing, I just discovered that white latch handle in your pic 3, and wondered what it was for. I googled it, and ur post came up.
Old 08-18-2017, 05:18 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7

Remove the handle

Cheers,

Louis
Thanks mate. I figured everything else out, but for the life of me couldn't find those screws.
thanks again, you've saved this bloke two broken handles.