A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to turn on inner headlights?

Old 08-03-2014, 12:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to turn on inner headlights?

Okay, so I have an 04. It has bixenons in the outer headlight projectors, and the little drl bulbs in the inner headlight, along with what would normally be the large high beam on most cars. But the high beam is the bixenon.... I know how to go through the mmi and turn the little drls on, but how do you turn on the large innermost bulbs? And what are they technically called?
Old 08-03-2014, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

They are high beam lights around the world or flash lights in US. They are on when you pull turn signal lever up to the steering wheel. To use them as a high beam you need VCDS to change setting from US to ROW.

Small bulbs are parking lights.
Old 08-03-2014, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Not legal to use as high beams in North America but who is gonna check? Vrtually all A8 owners with vcds change this setting. Makes a world of difference on the open road. Not that I know anything about this.
Old 08-03-2014, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Technically I think they're called high beam headlights...

The outer projectors should be low beam only - no double filaments in HID.

Flick on your high beam light switch and go and take a look.
Old 08-03-2014, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

A8 HID's are single filament but they have shutter directing light output as a low beam.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yeah they aren't my high beams or flash lights. Can't get them to turn on at all. Both of those are in the low beam as the shutter moving.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Steelcitymafia
Yeah they aren't my high beams or flash lights. Can't get them to turn on at all. Both of those are in the low beam as the shutter moving.
I'm also having a similar issue. Admittedly I've got a ballast pack out on the left hand side at the moment as this has taken out both my HID and my side lights... but regardless of this particular issue before I had my inner bulbs which are P21W's and those I've never seen lit in any situation. I also have the twin element high and low beam on my HID's, which I find strange as I assumed this to be a single element blub also. But the D2s bulb is in fact doing both high and low beam!

Regards

Lord Hefner
Old 08-03-2014, 11:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

on my 07 A8 the outermost convex lens houses the low and high beam HID.The inner large lens houses two nulbs, one large in the middle which is the DRL, also in the lens is a small bulb which comes on with the low beams as a marker light-not very bright.pull up facing a glass storefront at night and you can see how all the front lights work...
Old 08-03-2014, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Steelcitymafia
If they are halogen bulbs they should work as I described, unless they are burnt. I don't understand what are you saying (bold).

21W bulbs are DRL. Different years and markets have different setup.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by mishar
A8 HID's are single filament but they have shutter directing light output as a low beam.
Very clever!
Are driving lights (as in spot lights which you can wire-in using an independant switch and trigger using the high-beam relay)) legal in the US?
If so, I don't understand why the inner light would be illegal as a high-beam light.
IMHO the entire point of high-beam is to get maximum light output onto the road in front of the car as possible when other vehicles aren't around. You must get dark country roads with no lighting and wandering wildlife like we do. I've had driving lights on every car I've owned until the S8 (including my A4) to maximise light output on high-beam

Last edited by twentysevenlitres; 08-04-2014 at 03:47 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: how to turn on inner headlights?