A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to turn off TPM?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 08:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to turn off TPM?

hello,

i've been searching all over the forum...and haven't been able to find an answer yet..

I have an 05 A8L, and the TPM malfunction indicator's been on for a while.....dealer wants a lot of $$ for it, which I don't have.

How can I turn off TPM?? Is there a way to do it on MMI?

someone wrote to just take off a fuse...which one, and is this ok to do so?

Thanks guys!!
Old 10-26-2010, 09:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

The fuse way only has worked for a few people. It depends on the MMI, and this is a touchy subject. Huge PITA. I honestly don't think theirs a way around it. You can try pulling the fuse to see if that does it, if not might have to bite the bullet and buy a new TPMS for whatever tire is out.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TPMS Disable

If pulling the fuse works for you then go for it, my error did not go away. The proper way to do it is as follows, as I had posted before:

I was so tired of mine showing up on the dash, I tried the fuse routine and that did NOT work. I disabled the unit in the gateway, and re-coded the TPMS (65) to 0202125, which DISABLES the TPMS. Start car, no TPMS nag. If I would have known to change the sensors when I changed the tires I would have done that at the time (exactly 5 years of age on sensors). The Tire Rack has new sensors that are about $89 each.

Last edited by 05SilverA8; 10-27-2010 at 07:20 AM.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

So you were successful in disabling it then with the vag-com recoding. I have MMI v46.1 incase mine do go out in the future will this same recoding fix disable the TPMS alert.
Thanks
Old 10-31-2010, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

You can turn off the TPM in the MMI system by simply going to the TPM in settings and selecting on/off. This will disable the warning error on the dashboard which I experienced just yesterday. My dealer is going to replace all of the sensors and if needed the ecu for the TPMS system on Tuesday. This is one reason why I purchased my used 2004 A8L from a dealer in case something like this happened so I would not be left in the lurch with a huge service bill.

The dealer is correcting anything that goes wrong with the car for the first 60 days which is a New York State Lemon Law. This is essentially the same coverage as a full bumper to bumper warranty without any exclusions aside from wear items like brakes and tires.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ghibliss
You can turn off the TPM in the MMI system by simply going to the TPM in settings and selecting on/off. This will disable the warning error on the dashboard which I experienced just yesterday. My dealer is going to replace all of the sensors and if needed the ecu for the TPMS system on Tuesday. This is one reason why I purchased my used 2004 A8L from a dealer in case something like this happened so I would not be left in the lurch with a huge service bill.

The dealer is correcting anything that goes wrong with the car for the first 60 days which is a New York State Lemon Law. This is essentially the same coverage as a full bumper to bumper warranty without any exclusions aside from wear items like brakes and tires.
where in MMI is there a setting to turn off TPM? never seen it before..... now using the vagcom thingy, how do you do that? do i have to purchase additional vagcom parts for it??
Old 11-01-2010, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

MMI > Car > System(soft left key) > TPM > Enter!
Old 11-01-2010, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by williebone
MMI > Car > System(soft left key) > TPM > Enter!
Depends on the model year. Once they were mandated by NHTSA, the option to disable has been deleted. This is the problem with upgrading an older model year to newer software. The car behaves like a newer vehicle so the option to disable is gone from the user MMI screens.

Yes, the VAG-COM software can be used to disable. Problem for some is that they don't have the interface. Good luck getting a dealer to disable a mandated function!
Old 11-01-2010, 09:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

For a fact not all A8's can disable the TPMS through the MMI. It depends which version. I heard that even with disabling it through vag you still receive errors? Can anyone shine light on this?
Thanks
Old 11-02-2010, 04:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

I haven't checked, but I'm willing to bet that there is a Funtion in Vag-Com or Hidden Menu that will turn the Option On in MMI! The reason I say this is that I had the Oldest MMI Version in an 04' A8 and I Updated it myself following the Steps from this Forum. I lost a few Options, but was able to Re-Activate them either thru Vag-Com or Hidden Menu. I now have every Original Options plus more. Any takers care to Investigate it? Laters,

Quick Reply: How to turn off TPM?