A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Huge Service

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Huge Service

Hey Guys!

My 2005 A8 has just hit 150k miles. I had the timing belt service done at about 80k and the trans flushed around 70k to the (super blue fluid, to a tune of $2k). Anyways I want to keep the car running like a top, but the valve cover gaskets are leaking now. My planned DIY include new fuel filter, plugs, and new rear rotors and pads are needed.

I was going to take it to my indy to have the whole blauparts new revised kit installed for the 150k service (timing belt, water pump, thermostat, fluid, tensioners, pulleys, serp belt, etc.) They have a new kit which actually includes valve cover gaskets, and everything needed for that. I used the blauparts kit a few years ago and had no issues whatsoever.
Link here: Audi A8 Timing Belt - Audi A8 Timing Belt Kit - D3 04-06 Enh+

I'd also like to flush the trans again and do a new filter, gasket, etc. Being that I have the blue fluid, a trans re-code isn't needed again, nor is as much fluid as last time. My question is, how many qts are needed to flush now that I already have the blue, and if I purchase the qts of fluid, as well as all the filter components from the dealer I should be able to easily take it to a reputable trans shop and have them do it for a fraction of the cost of the dealer correct?

Thanks for your help guys!
Old 12-26-2014, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts
Default Fluids, etc.

Fluid answer is anywhere from 4 ½ liters to 6 ½ liters from my multi cycle drains. Lower end when doing the back to back ones and no pan drop. Higher end when you drop the pan and let it drain really thoroughly. Sounds like you are talking pan drop and one drain cycle, thus 7L to be safe. You will get 60% to ⅔ of fluid changed w/ that.

If blue then only choice is from dealer. I get mine from audiusaparts. ZF stopped selling the LifeGuard 6+ OES flavor. On filter, that you can get from a ZF jobber and avoid the mark up if you want. Paper gasket is pricy too. If you get it from a jobber, be sure it is the Audi one and not the BMW or Jag one (fewer bolt holes in those). BTDT; the nice metal sandwich one doesn't work given too few holes, leading back to the std. paper.

Anyone can do it, especially a decent tranny shop, as long as they know the re fill process--where you first fill what you can, then have to start the motor and bring it up to spec temp while doing final top up. Then in turn, either VCDS/VAG COM (or shop equivalent) or an IR heat gun aimed at pan looking for 40C. I tested both ways in parallel on one cycle and got same answer; thus switched to simpler to use while under car IR gun. If I didn't do it myself, the ZF indy I used for my C5 A6 5 speed tranny ZF rebuild would have been an obvious choice.

BTW, if you are in there doing valve cover gaskets, you are doing plugs (and air filter) too, correct? Didn't see it on your list specifically, but kind of a no brainer given it is inherently part of the R&R.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 12-26-2014 at 09:39 AM.
Old 12-26-2014, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Did fluid change on both my ex W12 -06 and friend's 4,0TDI -05. The W12 was at 246.000km and the 4,0TDI at 192.000km. W12 had slight issues with torque converter (the RPM gauge fooling around, while at slow city cruising 20-60km/h, and TC clutch "control" activated, not while at lockup or at "no lockup"). The 4,0TDI was and is working normally.

I found that the trans fluid change made almost no difference at all, maybe at first sight a really small improvement in the TC handling on the W12, but almost no difference in shifting smoothness. We did a "full calibration run" on both (10 times 0-80km/h @100Nm torque = minimum throttle and 80-0km/h without braking, took over an hour per car).

We used LifeGuard8 fluid for both.

I still have like 6-7L of the fluid left, because we only did partial replacement of the fluids from a 20L canister.

I cannot say, that I or my fried were too pleased with what we got for like 500euros per car. Can not recommend the procedure, if the tranny is working normally. And even if the tranny is having problems at shifting or torque converter control, I would probably replace both fluid, filter,gasket AND "mechatronic".

But to answer your question, reserve 6-7L of fluid. It doesn't matter if you use the yellow (6), blue (6+) or greenish (8), they are all adequate no matter which A8Quattro D3 you have. D4 of course requires LG8, because of the 8speed tranny.

I've replaced the trans fluid several times on my Volvo S90 -98, it has an Aisin Warner 4speed auto tranny (electronically controlled, with torque converter lockup). On that tranny you can clearly notice the smoother shifts that the new fluid brings. I used to replace the mineral ATF (Dexron 3) at 50.000km intervals, but last time i put in synthetic Dexron 3G, and now I'm at 70.000km with smooth shifts, and will probably run it another 30-50.000km, as they say the synthetic trans fluid is good for 80-120.000km and mineral for 40-60.000km.

And yes, remember to do the full service, plugs, ALL filters, ALSO POLLEN filter, oil filter, air-filter(s), fuel filter.

I swap engine oil+filter at mine at 20.000km interval (LongLife speced 15-30.000km here), pollen filter once a year, fuel filter is specced on euro3-> cars @ 160-180.000km (D3 = euro4), but it does not harm to swap it at 60.000km as euro2 cars have (pre 2001). Euro is a emissions level we use in Europe, (compare to your ULEV etc) Spark plugs and air-filter(s) are specced 60.000km here.

I've been SUPER maticulous with the service of my S90 volvo over the 9 years I've owned it, and i can say IT HAS BEEN WORTH IT. Swapped everything exactly By the book, and ZERO problems. Biggest problems were a failed gas-pump, and a failed ignition coil, when i replaced the plugs last time @ 315.000km. Not bad for my 200.000km of ownership!
Old 12-27-2014, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Still have the original fluid in my '04 with 232,000 miles (376,000 Km) and have no plans to change it since it is performing well.

I'm about to go on a road trip to the Cotton Bowl at Jerry's World®. That should be good for another 2500 miles.

Last edited by Mister Bally; 12-27-2014 at 05:19 AM.
Old 12-27-2014, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Guess it is lifetime

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
Still have the original fluid in my '04 with 232,000 miles (376,000 Km) and have no plans to change it since it is performing well.

I'm about to go on a road trip to the Cotton Bowl at Jerry's World®. That should be good for another 2500 miles.
When the filter and fluid was changed in mine at 70,000 it looked good. But the previous owner may have changed it also.
Not sure how many miles I will put on mine, might go 150,000. Good to know the tranny should not require service.
Old 12-27-2014, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is encouraging. I've just crested the 100k mark on my '08 A8, as well as 105K on my '08 A6, and -- given some very costly repairs of late on both -- was not looking forward to doing additional "preventative maintenance" that would incur additional extensive expenses. While I'm not on board with the totally sealed, never-needs-replacing strategy of Audi, I'm also not wanting to gratuitously toss out wads of cash if it is not necessary to keep the chariot running.

BTW, you'll love the Stadium. And I'm sure the weather here beats anything you have going up there (from a transplanted Chicagoan now living in Houston).
Old 12-27-2014, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Today is an odd day as it is warmer here (47℉) vs 40℉ in the Metroplex. I just hope to avoid heavy snow on the drive both ways. Plus, gasoline below $2.00/gallon is sweet. Maybe not so good for the refineries in Houston though....
Old 12-27-2014, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jerry's World

So if you are coming to Jerry's World for the first time you need to take the extra time to do the stadium tour. It's free from what I recall and if I remember correctly there are two versions. One abbreviated version and one that's much longer and more detailed. At least that's what I seem to recall. It is well worth the time as you get to see the locker rooms and all sorts of other cool stuff. Visit the stadium website and see what the hours are and how to go about it. The reason I don't know the details is because my son and I were playing in a father/son flag football tournament there last summer and they were offering it to us while we were already there and we didn't have to go thru any of the official normal channels.....but I know they do this from others. We played 5 games down on the field and this 45 year old man was sore in places i didn't know I had places. Enjoy your drive down and enjoy these gas prices. I filled up my wife's Escalade yesterday for $50.00 bucks at $1.60 a gallon. Unreal..... Oh, and the forecast is for really cold weather down here this coming week and into the New Years Eve/Day time frame. Sorry bout that.

Old 12-27-2014, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes it has warmed up to 45 but it is supposed to be cold and rainy next week. Enjoy your stay!

Today is an odd day as it is warmer here (47℉) vs 40℉ in the Metroplex. I just hope to avoid heavy snow on the drive both ways. Plus, gasoline below $2.00/gallon is sweet. Maybe not so good for the refineries in Houston though....
Old 12-27-2014, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I have walked around the inside of the stadium when it was still named Cowboys Stadium. It was a few years ago as the Taylor Swift concert was being set up. I walked in the employee entrance which had a row of time clocks with signage stating "Be sure to scan your id". I just walked right past them and I had free rein of the place. There must have been 30 semi trailers parked on the field with her face plastered on the sides for some makeup company ad.

I see how the temperature will be cold while I'm in town. Nothing like the last winter I suffered through in the midwest.