A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i thought the ATF was lifetime

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 08:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i thought the ATF was lifetime

on my model.
when reading I see 50/50 view on this.
Reading the 2004 maintenance schedule, I do see ATF changes.
but then more views that ATF not to be changed.

What is the verdict ?
Old 04-21-2015, 08:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Change it. Lifetime to them is as soon as the warranty is up. By 80k its looking rather dark and by 100k its black. Thats asking a lot for fluid to handle a powerful, heavy, awd car an infinite amount of miles. The fluid does break down, the fluid does oxidize, the anti foam additives, friction modifiers, ect all break down. ZF themselves say 40-60k mile changes.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts
Default Really?

Perhaps you might search a bit? Been debated a lot.

Let us know when you find the severe service spec for the tranny BTW, per ZF. Or that the 5 speeds are now "lifetime", even though they started with a regular service interval, until they decided not to retroactively and then buried the prior publication too, coincidentally about the time it became obvious it was a crap design internally. At the time Audi said lifetime and ZF didn't for the five speed. Yep, gives me the warm fuzzies that only technical expertise and experience rules. Not.

But opinions vary then and now, and there are lots of stories and quasi religious views in both directions. Again, search some even just a few pages down let alone for many years. Even in the past week I posted on some detailed ZF six speed specific internal changes that I will not repeat here yet again. Maybe also search more generally on why manufacturers are driven as an economic and marketing matter by cost of ownership analyses to stretch or declare lifetime service intervals as well. Let us know what you find.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 04-21-2015 at 08:37 PM.
Old 04-22-2015, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Prospeeder
Change it. Lifetime to them is as soon as the warranty is up. By 80k its looking rather dark and by 100k its black. Thats asking a lot for fluid to handle a powerful, heavy, awd car an infinite amount of miles. The fluid does break down, the fluid does oxidize, the anti foam additives, friction modifiers, ect all break down. ZF themselves say 40-60k mile changes.
that's what I have mostly gathered from my reading. Blauparts has a good 'how to' with photos. It is black in there demo.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Perhaps you might search a bit? Been debated a lot.

Let us know when you find the severe service spec for the tranny BTW, per ZF. Or that the 5 speeds are now "lifetime", even though they started with a regular service interval, until they decided not to retroactively and then buried the prior publication too, coincidentally about the time it became obvious it was a crap design internally. At the time Audi said lifetime and ZF didn't for the five speed. Yep, gives me the warm fuzzies that only technical expertise and experience rules. Not.

But opinions vary then and now, and there are lots of stories and quasi religious views in both directions. Again, search some even just a few pages down let alone for many years. Even in the past week I posted on some detailed ZF six speed specific internal changes that I will not repeat here yet again. Maybe also search more generally on why manufacturers are driven as an economic and marketing matter by cost of ownership analyses to stretch or declare lifetime service intervals as well. Let us know what you find.
So I did go back and read the audiworld posts on ATF.

I would say the posts ranged from:
don't fix if it ain't broke.
to remove 5L of old and put in 5L of L6
to do the full filter, gasket, and ATF oil change.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ZF North America Technical Services can be emailed for very direct answers.
In general the ATF should be changed at about 40K and every 80K after that.
For severe use you can cut the numbers about in half.
The first change is due to the amount of friction material that builds up from all the new parts.
They also said that (different than the old wives' tale) changing the fluid will not harm the transmission even if earlier changes were missed.
They are also adamant that once a transmission has started to fail, changing the fluid is not a fix.
Old 04-22-2015, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by allenst
So I did go back and read the audiworld posts on ATF.

I would say the posts ranged from:
don't fix if it ain't broke.
to remove 5L of old and put in 5L of L6
to do the full filter, gasket, and ATF oil change.
Yes i love that mindset people have. Gosh then why the hell don't you just never change the engine oil while your at it too. Its not knocking, so why maintain it.....Yea lets never change the trans fluid, just wait and wear the hell out of the transmission, it starts acting up, THEN try to do something, like change the fluid (which wont usually work since, you know, its worn out now because it wasn't maintained.) How does that make sense.
Old 04-22-2015, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Prospeeder
...Yea lets never change the trans fluid, just wait and wear the hell out of the transmission, it starts acting up, THEN try to do something, like change the fluid (which wont usually work since, you know, its worn out now because it wasn't maintained.) How does that make sense.
THEN you blame the failure on the fluid change.
Old 04-22-2015, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by N_Jay
ZF North America Technical Services can be emailed for very direct answers.
In general the ATF should be changed at about 40K and every 80K after that.
For severe use you can cut the numbers about in half.
The first change is due to the amount of friction material that builds up from all the new parts.
They also said that (different than the old wives' tale) changing the fluid will not harm the transmission even if earlier changes were missed.
They are also adamant that once a transmission has started to fail, changing the fluid is not a fix.
thats what I've e reading.
if its already slipping or there's metal in the pan
then forget changing the fluid as a solution.

ps. now I gota go find out what a 'slip' feels like and possible causes...
Old 04-22-2015, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 242 Likes on 199 Posts

You should notice the transmission slipping.

You will see the revs rise too quickly and not feel the car moving forward at the same rate.

Quick Reply: i thought the ATF was lifetime