A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i thought the ATF was lifetime

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Panelhead
First, I want to apologize for the dictation in some of my posts. I surf and reply mainly from a phone. The spell and word check makes a mess of things on a regular basis. But it does fix mistakes also.
The description of the fluid as lifetime is correct. When the fluid has deteriorated enough it is the end of the transmission. Time for another tranny with better fluid.
I changed the fluid and fluid in the A8 and recently a XJR to hopefully prevent having the issues that seem to occur randomly. My indie charges 150.00 labor and I supply the parts. Got 7 liters in the XJR after it sat overnight to drain.
I hope this keeps the transmission operating like it is supposed to for 40 - 60k more miles. They both are as smooth and slick shifting as any transmission I have driven. Up and down.
My thoughts are a filter and partial fluid change may not fix a problem. But could prevent one.
It is preventative maintenance. Mr Bally is dancing by himself on this. But it is in line with his burning regular unleaded gas. It must not hurt things much, 244K miles proves that.
I enjoy working on my cars. It is my new hobby. And cheap compared to the alternatives.
doing the atf change and filter is not a tough project.
toughest part is getting in on a lift! don't think jack stands will do the trick here.

definitely something going on around 1000-2000rpm. its like I try to brake at 1000rpm and i feel it fight back and want to accelerate.

anyway, i need another scan and go from their.
Old 04-26-2015, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
I am trying to stay out of this conversation as my '04, which was built in March of '03 but placed in service in August 2003 so 12 years old depending on what the birthday is. It has 239,000 miles on the odometer. Still has the original transmission fluid. I have no intention of changing it at this time. I've always felt it best to leave well enough alone.

To the poster that said something to the effect of: "then why bother changing your motor oil"? Motor Oil absorbs a bit of fuel that gets around piston rings and it runs quite a bit hotter. I change that as recommended.

I have only heard a few "hoots" during some aggressive driving along the Pacific Coast Highway last Summer.
There is always a few out there that seems to have made crazy amount of miles not being changed. I did have a 98 A6 with 260k on it come in, and they smashed a big dent in the trans pan. The fluid was hideous, stank so bad, black, the filter was original said 1997, there were pillars of wear material hanging off the valve body. The trans shifted very lazy, which is to be expected ,because the shift program will delay and soften the shifts to keep it smooth even though the fluid is garbage. New fluid and filter, shifts became quick and smooth and its still happily going along.

Sorry because 1 or 2 lucky cars made it a long time vs the tons of failed transmissions at less than 170k with no fluid changes Ill stick to recommending fluid changes as being obviously common sense in long life. If you really depend on your car and need it to last, why not have it serviced? Its better than be stranded somewhere dead transmission and having to junk the car.

Last edited by Prospeeder; 04-26-2015 at 03:02 PM.
Old 04-26-2015, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Prospeeder
If you really depend on your car and need it to last, why not have it serviced? Its better than be stranded somewhere dead transmission and having to junk the car.
I maintain and service my vehicles quite well, thankyouverymuch.

As far as why I choose to not touch my 2004 A8L's automatic transmission; I am simply following the maintenance manual that came with the car. Basically it says to "check for leaks" every 20,000 miles. I do that. Nowhere does it say to replace the transmission fluid/oil. The people who wrote and approved that maintenance manual are pretty darn smart. I'll go with what they say.

As far as why; It's my money and I don't see the benefit in changing/flushing with that expensive ZF stuff if I don't have to.

The same maintenance manual says nothing about water pump replacement when the timing belt gets replaced (I admit, I think the 75,000 mile interval is too short so I go beyond that) But, I know that moving parts wear out so I replace the water pump. Thus, I am unpredictable.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Call ZF and ask them. They designed and built the trans not Audi.
Old 04-27-2015, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default loss of RPM while driving ???

I will have a scan tool today.

I had the battery disconnected yesterday.
reconnected and drove around

later on I noticed that when I was gaining speed the RPM would rise but then start to fall.
on a few occaissions I was going 80km/hr and the RPM was down at 1500rpm.
seemed that no matter what I did it would rise and drop and stay down.

I've read that after a battery disconnect the Throttle needs alignment.

I hope that's all it is !
Old 04-27-2015, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I'm going o clean throttle body

just gotta locate it
Old 04-27-2015, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I maintain and service my vehicles quite well, thankyouverymuch.

As far as why I choose to not touch my 2004 A8L's automatic transmission; I am simply following the maintenance manual that came with the car. Basically it says to "check for leaks" every 20,000 miles. I do that. Nowhere does it say to replace the transmission fluid/oil. The people who wrote and approved that maintenance manual are pretty darn smart. I'll go with what they say.
Really....that worked out so well for 1.8T cars, 7500 mile oil changes with regular oil. Or Saab's and Volvo turbo cars the maintenance book recommended 7500 mile oil changes with regular oil. Guess what, they filled full of sludge and blew up before 80k miles even though people followed thier maintenance guide perfectly. Or VW changing the lifetime spec on the 6 speed Jetta/Golf/Beetle transmissions to every 40k miles because of constant failures? Hmm those guys sure are smart, are you sure its not that they want the maintenance schedule to LOOK cheap for perspective buyers? They purely care about getting the car out of warranty with minimal failures and maximizing profit. They could care less what happens after that. They are in the business of selling you a car, not keeping it alive 200k+ miles.

And again, ZF has recommended services on almost all the transmissions they have made, and the manufactures (audi bmw ect) grab them and throw lifetime fluid in the manual. Im sorry but if you seriously think the Audi maintenance manual is for YOUR best interest your kidding yourself.

And for the "ohhh the fluids expensive" argument. The are aftermarket fluids like redline D6 that work VERY well in these and many many people use. To waste money on 30$ a quart fluid is silly. Especially since its a spec that was probably created over 15 years ago. Newer fluids can easily surpass it.

Last edited by Prospeeder; 04-27-2015 at 11:43 AM.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Prospeeder
Really....that worked out so well for 1.8T cars, 7500 mile oil changes with regular oil. .
Not sure what you mean there. My 2001 New Beetle with the 1.8L Turbo has 5000 mile change intervals but with full synthetic required. Funny how in the 2003 Audi TT, the same basic engine (2nd intercooler and tuned with more horsepower) has a 10,000 mile oil change interval.

I guess I'll just keep kidding myself.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Not sure what you mean there. My 2001 New Beetle with the 1.8L Turbo has 5000 mile change intervals but with full synthetic required. Funny how in the 2003 Audi TT, the same basic engine (2nd intercooler and tuned with more horsepower) has a 10,000 mile oil change interval.

I guess I'll just keep kidding myself.
Yes its all marketing, somebody who buys an Audi would hate to have to return to the dealer every 5k miles, what a hassle. A VW purchaser is happy to return every 3k miles if you told them to. Its all marketing, the longevity and reliability of the car is 2nd to that.

"Edit, just never mind lol"

Last edited by Prospeeder; 04-27-2015 at 09:18 PM.
Old 04-27-2015, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I Thought the VW 502.00 spec (which is what my '01 Beetle manual says is required) is only available in full synthetic.

Funny that my '04 A8 says nothing about full synthetic, or the VW designator. I called a dealer when I got the car in December, 2005 and they said fossil 5W-30 is ok to use. I decided to go with 5W-40 full synthetic with the VW 502 00 designation.

Quick Reply: i thought the ATF was lifetime