A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i thought the ATF was lifetime

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts
Default "Later" spec isn't always correct

Originally Posted by Prospeeder

And for the "ohhh the fluids expensive" argument. The are aftermarket fluids like redline D6 that work VERY well in these and many many people use. To waste money on 30$ a quart fluid is silly. Especially since its a spec that was probably created over 15 years ago. Newer fluids can easily surpass it.
I'll skip the rest of the reply debate (at least some of which I am sympathetic about), but comment here. Realize that tranny fluid has each of lubricating capacity, a variety of additives for various reasons, and specifically friction modifiers that relate to tranny operation. I became aware of the third point back on my Chrysler AWD, when some folks realized the generic approaches were causing slippage when they used a non Chrysler spec fluid. Early on the Chrysler spec stuff was little known or hard to come by in an era when it was mostly Dextron or Type F. That was example of more harm than good if the wrong/non spec one was used.

Thus, yes I will consider using a non Audi or ZF brand fluid IF it it certified to the correct spec or is specifically listed as backward compatible, but not otherwise. Similarly, "later" is not always "better." G13 is a classic example of that; done apparently solely for carbon accounting/Euro compliance, not on its technical merits. On the other hand, original G12 that many mid/older life Audis are filled with turned out not to be such a hot idea technically and was quietly superseded to the late millennium flavor. Thus, "it all depends" on a deeper technical level, but meantime on tranny fluid I would only use something else if it is certified to the underlying Esso/Shell type spec. At around $6,000 a pop for rebuilt and R&R, not something I would roll any dice on--let alone driving a vehicle with a somewhat erratic tranny is not so good for the awkward friend ride along excuses let alone personal enjoyment.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 04-27-2015 at 01:16 PM.
Old 04-27-2015, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trying to measure my atf temp and getting his

20:03:50 Group 005
OFF Solenoid Valve 1 (N88)
0.050 A Pressure Control Valve 1 (N215)
0.850 A Pressure Control Valve 2 (N216)
1 Engaged Gear

20:03:50 Group 002
10.0 Curret Shift Program
0.0 % Accelerator Pedal Position
0 /min Transmission Outp. Speed (G195)
1 Engaged Gear
the temp should be in address 1 but it says solenoid OFF instead
Old 04-27-2015, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default not sure what this is, but...

Originally Posted by allenst
20:03:50 Group 005
OFF Solenoid Valve 1 (N88)
0.050 A Pressure Control Valve 1 (N215)
0.850 A Pressure Control Valve 2 (N216)
1 Engaged Gear

20:03:50 Group 002
10.0 Curret Shift Program
0.0 % Accelerator Pedal Position
0 /min Transmission Outp. Speed (G195)
1 Engaged Gear
the temp should be in address 1 but it says solenoid OFF instead
I'm not sure what specifically this is without looking myself at ZF materials, VCDS wiki etc. But, in brief isn't the temp. in one of the measuring blocks IIRC? If so just scroll through them until you find it. If you are doing fluid check, you can also IR gun the pan directly. Aim most anywhere in the main mass of the pan. My name brand IR gun and VCDS measurement were identical to even the exact degree when I compared them.

BTW, also I am not sure what "engaged gear" and "1" means since it is checked in P or N. I put it in drive and reverse while holding brake first, but then it is always in P for me immediately after and when checking--especially being under there!
Old 04-27-2015, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
I'm not sure what specifically this is without looking myself at ZF materials, VCDS wiki etc. But, in brief isn't the temp. in one of the measuring blocks IIRC? If so just scroll through them until you find it. If you are doing fluid check, you can also IR gun the pan directly. Aim most anywhere in the main mass of the pan. My name brand IR gun and VCDS measurement were identical to even the exact degree when I compared them.

BTW, also I am not sure what "engaged gear" and "1" means since it is checked in P or N. it in drive and reverse while holding brake first, but then it is always in P for me immediately after and when checking--especially being under there!
My bad. I just got the vcds cable today and have it til Thursday.

I was looking at 005 and should have been 004
ATF temp after a 20 minute drive was 65c which is normal.

It was checked in P.

This is all still in the attempt to get the hesitation and rpm flux fixed. (yes I will check ATF level tomorrow)

I did a throttle valve alignment. That went well.

If yyou do a throttle vale align, then Ross suggests the following for the Transmission.
But I could not access Basic Settings--it was greyed out.
I had ignition on but no engine. I tried with engine on--still greyed out.

this is procedure they suggest after throttle vale adjustment.

Basic Settings:

Basic Settings should be performed on an Automatic Transmission after:

Engine replacement .

ECU replacement

Throttle Valve adjustment

TPS replacement

TPS adustment

TCM Replacement

First, make sure there are no fault codes in the Auto Trans. Then, with the key in the on position, and engine OFF. Do not touch the accelerator pedal.

[Select]
[02 - Auto Trans]
[Basic Settings - 04]
Set Group to "000"
[Go!]
Press accelerator pedal all the way to the floor and count out loud 3 seconds.
[Done, Go Back]
Release the accelerator pedal.

It is normal for there to be no explicit instructions or changes on the screen when you do the above procedure. The transmission controller does not provide any feedback that it has been successfully performed. For 09G transmissions, Basic Settings group 001 is used and the accelerator pedal is NOT touched.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Doesn't sound like tranny one to me.

As soon as it says press the gas pedal to the floor, that sounds like either an ECU procedure or maybe the (electronic) gas pedal. The gas pedal stuff reminds me of D2's/C5's offhand.

The tranny one process--if that's what you want--is described toward the end of the "hoot" TSB. You simply trigger it (to start) and then go for a quite regimented drive--for which you need quiet and open roads for very gradual accelerations and coast downs. Not really documented in terms of what it does, but my sense is first you are wiping the accumulated learning memory, and then teaching it new baseline clean shifting behavior. I would not do any tranny adaptations until you have at least gotten through a fluid level check.
Old 04-28-2015, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

sorry, I'm not understanding this line. Am I doing this with vcds ?

The tranny one process--if that's what you want--is described toward the end of the "hoot" TSB. You simply trigger it (to start) and then go for a quite regimented drive-
Old 04-28-2015, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You trigger the adaptation with VCDS

Originally Posted by allenst
sorry, I'm not understanding this line. Am I doing this with vcds ?

The tranny one process--if that's what you want--is described toward the end of the "hoot" TSB. You simply trigger it (to start) and then go for a quite regimented drive-
You trigger the adaptation with VCDS in the TCU (TCM). In the measuring blocks as I recall, but I posted that pretty recently when I looked it up again. Triggered the same way as the ECU one if you have done that, except now in the TCU module and this one has the adaptation drive. Then you are done w/ VCDS and can unplug. Now you go for the TCU adaptation related drive in the car per the transmission "hoot" (noise) TSB, which is some shifting between gears and then gradual acceleration and coast downs. Quite regimented and specific in the TSB; takes about 30 minutes and quiet roads you can slowly get up to 60 MPH and back to 0 with very gradual throttle and essentially no braking. I do it in late evening on a long road--at least as open as I can find here in built up suburbia.
Old 04-28-2015, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

You trigger the adaptation with VCDS in the TCU (TCM). In the measuring blocks as I recall, but I posted that pretty recently when I looked it up again. Triggered the same way as the ECU one if you have done that, except now in the TCU module and this one has the adaptation drive. Then you are done w/ VCDS and can unplug. Now you go for the TCU adaptation related drive in the car per the transmission "hoot" (noise) TSB, which is some shifting between gears and then gradual acceleration and coast downs. Quite regimented and specific in the TSB; takes about 30 minutes and quiet roads you can slowly get up to 60 MPH and back to 0 with very gradual throttle and essentially no braking. I do it in late evening on a long road--at least as open as I can find here in built up suburbia.
can't get to basic settings 04. its greyed out . not sure why. would do the adaptation otherwise
Old 04-28-2015, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

is this the procedure ?
6-Speed Automatic Transmission (01J/Multitronic) - Ross-Tech Wiki
Old 04-28-2015, 06:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default was able to check my ATF level today

I had a litre and a cheap marine pump.
car was level.
it was dark but not missing any volume.
I added maybe 5 oz.
then cycled through transmission and tiptronic. 2 times each.
went to add more and it wouldnt take anymore.

I suspect I have 2 or more vaccum leaks and possibly a bad sai pump.

gotta find out how to test the sai pump before I give the vcds back tomorrow night...

Quick Reply: i thought the ATF was lifetime