A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Identify sound..

Old 03-27-2015, 08:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Identify sound..

My S8 is making a strange whining sound from the front possibly from the engine room, first i thougt it was the steering but i found out that it comes when i push the throttle down little, it makes a whining sound.
It is the same on all gears P N D.

It also gives a feeling of smal vibration. Its difficult to explain.

No fault codes that i can match it with.

I have searched "whining sound" "strange sound" etc but nothing that matches my problem.

Could it be any drive belt or something, i dont know how the D3 is when it comes to belts, but my D2 had drive belt.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Could be a pulley going out, any of the ones on the drive belt could make a whine. Still could be the power steering, does it get louder if you turn?
Old 03-28-2015, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

also, you can use a pipe as a way to pinpoint noises, hold one end to your ear with the other at different pulleys and you'll be able to figure out exactly where the noise is coming from.... this method is a bit redneck, and if your careless its a good way to mess your car (or yourself) up by sticking a pipe into moving parts, standard "darwin" rules apply here.
Old 03-28-2015, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jack88
Could be a pulley going out, any of the ones on the drive belt could make a whine. Still could be the power steering, does it get louder if you turn?
What is a "pulley"? Yes the sound is like syncing with the steering, thats why i thought it was the steering first, then i noticed that the throttle make it sound louder so i thought maybe it it something else.

My upper rear link arm has been bad and clonking i little while now, could this be the cause of the sound?
Old 03-28-2015, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MiMitch
also, you can use a pipe as a way to pinpoint noises, hold one end to your ear with the other at different pulleys and you'll be able to figure out exactly where the noise is coming from.... this method is a bit redneck, and if your careless its a good way to mess your car (or yourself) up by sticking a pipe into moving parts, standard "darwin" rules apply here.
Where is those pulleys? I hear the sound in the coupé while pushing down the throttle.
Old 03-28-2015, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

The front side of the engine.
Old 03-28-2015, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexxelax
Where is those pulleys? I hear the sound in the coupé while pushing down the throttle.
With all do respect, based on your questions I would suggest a good mechanic.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mishar
With all do respect, based on your questions I would suggest a good mechanic.
I have been to diffrent mechanics several times, it is a lot of cheating from there side, i dont trust them, so i started to look into fixing it my self, since it is my car, i will know what i am doing to it, what is done to it and i will do the best to fix it. I have been able to fix problems that the mechanic couldnt, and problems as easy as the airbag connector. A mechanic would be taking a lot of money for that problem, and i did it myself for free. Many problems are easier than it looks to be, so why not try as far as possible before give it to an "expert". This car has been driven very very hard so when fixing a problem, another problem pops up but still something get fixed. This forum have helped me with some problems. The questions i ask like "where are the pulleys" is for i am not from a english speaking country, and i have never heard the word pulley, i dont know what it is in word. When figured out what pulley is then i can translate it in my language and write it n ElsaWin how to fix the problem.

About the whining sound problem it disappeard while driving today, and i was thinking a little and may figured out where the sound came from.

I wash the car maybe 1 time a week now when its winter and dirty, and i use degreasing around the car, and i do the grills to, i spray direct in the grill, so maybe it has make some belt or bolt or something cleaned and degreased so it makes the whining sound.
So this do not sound good at all when thinking about it, so now maybe you can help me with a question, What kind of grease or lube do you prefer using in the parts behind the grill? I have heard that motor oil is not good (I used it on my old S8 D2 -98 belt fan when it sound bad, it helped for i little while).
Old 03-28-2015, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

It is unlikely that washing the car did anything to cause the noise. Start by looking at the belt. If the belt looks like the one on the left, it needs to be replaced. All of the wheels it connects to are the pulleys. The pulleys can also make noise if they are bad.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jack88
It is unlikely that washing the car did anything to cause the noise. Start by looking at the belt. If the belt looks like the one on the left, it needs to be replaced. All of the wheels it connects to are the pulleys. The pulleys can also make noise if they are bad.
Thanks i will look at it tomorrow and see. Do you know if the steering has anything to do with the belt?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Identify sound..