A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Immobilizer question.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Immobilizer question.

Just bought a 2004 A8L and have a question about the immo system. I've done a thread search and really haven't come up with an answer yet. Is there a way to do an immo delete on the A8L? We have need to have more keys than the system allows. I know that on the VW side of things, it's not too hard.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts
Default Probably not, but how many keys really??

No known documentation on overriding it, but it's an antitheft system (in part) so no surprise there.

It allows at least four master keys, the valet and the plastic key, so seems like a whole lot. And a guess is it could actually allow six of the standard full key/remote instead of the other two.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by cvairwerks
Just bought a 2004 A8L and have a question about the immo system. I've done a thread search and really haven't come up with an answer yet. Is there a way to do an immo delete on the A8L? We have need to have more keys than the system allows. I know that on the VW side of things, it's not too hard.
Even on the VW side of things I think the max you can have is 3 keys. However this is all dependent on the IMMO version the car has.

The only way you could possibly use more keys than the max allowed would be to disable the immo system completely.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts
Default 4 keys +, definitively. Experience.

Audi D3 A8--this board subject--definitively takes 4 keys, plus the valet and plastic ones. I know since I have them in the four driver family. Audi had to replace the missing keys since CPO requires a complete set under its terms, and all they had at first was a single master key. So they paid for the other master, the valet and the plastic keys, and I bought the extra two switchblade keys way back when. The programming charge was already paid by the dealer because of the other missing keys.

Current Audis (i.e. Q5 and thus presumably at least the nearly platform identical A4 and 5 line) also take at least 4 keys. Still running down whether it's actually either 5 or 6 total; they also come w/ the plastic key, but the valet key is now history along with the physical ignition switch.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for the feedback guys. We have a situation where we need more than 4 master keys for the car, so really need to do an immo delete. There are 4 that regularly will have access to Audi, plus I try to keep a spare key at all of the family residences and properties where the car may end up. If someone looses a key, I don't want to have to make a run thru three states gathering up keys for recoding.

I'm also trying to cut down on the remotes that I have to carry....all three of our cars have remotes and 6 of the other 7 that I have access to, have remotes too. The TR-3A is the only car we own that has no remote.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

One option, since you have the original key fob with the correct imobilizer RF, purchase the amount of keys you require, up to 5 additional as previously posted. Using the door lock, unlock method posted here DIY: How to program your Audi flip key fob. you can program the key fobs to the car. With your original key, mount/secure it near the steering column out of site, close to the ignition. This key with stay with the car permanently to satisfy the immobilizer and the other keys once cut will work for the ignition. Same concept that car starter kits use on immobilized vehicles. I only recommend this method since you were wanting to deactivate the immobilizer in the first place. This method will increase the odds of your car successfully being stolen DYI. Hope this helps you out if you haven't found anything in the past 14 months since you last posted.
Old 11-27-2014, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

It should be easy to pull the RFID pill from one of the keys and hide it somewhere in the car. Then all you need are bunch of keys cut.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Default a bit of clarification please...

Originally Posted by passatdiesel
One option, since you have the original key fob with the correct imobilizer RF, purchase the amount of keys you require, up to 5 additional as previously posted. Using the door lock, unlock method posted here DIY: How to program your Audi flip key fob. you can program the key fobs to the car. With your original key, mount/secure it near the steering column out of site, close to the ignition. This key with stay with the car permanently to satisfy the immobilizer and the other keys once cut will work for the ignition. Same concept that car starter kits use on immobilized vehicles. I only recommend this method since you were wanting to deactivate the immobilizer in the first place. This method will increase the odds of your car successfully being stolen DYI. Hope this helps you out if you haven't found anything in the past 14 months since you last posted.

You posted a DIY on how to program keys to the car; but then you say that a key needs to be left in the car in order to satisfy the imobilizer and allow the new keys to work ? please explain
Old 12-01-2014, 08:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by awdinut
You posted a DIY on how to program keys to the car; but then you say that a key needs to be left in the car in order to satisfy the imobilizer and allow the new keys to work ? please explain
Once the new keys have been cut to match the original, the original key that has the correct radio frequency that is being transmitted to satisfy the immobilizer in the car. Place that key somewhere near the dash out of sight for as long as you want to run the keys that don't contain the correct R.F. Hope your following me with this part. Next, you need to sync/program the new key fobs to work on opening/closing the doors. Not the same thing as programming the car to recognize the immobilizer frequency, to which as far as I know we don't easily have the ability to do.
Hope that sheds a little more light on the matter.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I can 100% guarantee this 'sync' procedure will not work with a D3.

If you want to risk a stolen vehicle, you've done all the heavy lifting for a thief.
You have essentially permanently hot wired it by leaving a viable key in the vehicle at all times.
I can't recall, but it would surprise me if a D3 would even lock while seeing a key in the vehicle.

There is no easy way to delete the immo as it is tied into multiple systems.

A friend of mine with many vehicles, and drivers, uses a hook board with rent-a-car style key rings.
The make/model/color/year of each is written on the paper insert of each keyring.
That may be the easiest and safest solution for the OP.

Quick Reply: Immobilizer question.