A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Indy Mechanic: "Dead Battery Took Out Key Recognition, wants Car to go to $tealer

Old 06-29-2016, 08:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm sorry I don't know more about it.
Just vagly remember about getting wire and crossing two pins from fuses.
Do you even get key not recognized message on the screen ?
If you really get stuck pm me and I will give you jacks skype in Poland he will be able to tell you what to do most probably but he is not a freeby.
Old 06-30-2016, 03:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Battery switch off really is kind of explosive device that's activated in collision.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by mishar
Battery switch off really is kind of explosive device that's activated in collision.
Thanks Misha, that was my understanding, too; but this page from SSP gives me hope that it's resettable. Anyone with a 2004 wants to look at theirs, I'd appreciate it. It's in the housing in front of the battery. There's a release tab at top and then the cover swings down.

I hope you can read this, I'm on a chromebook (limited PDF edit abilities).

Unfortunately, I've examined mine and don't remember the yellow button, but I don't remember what I had for lunch 2 days ago either. I so wish the car was not an hour away!

Found this too at audiportal:

Perhaps there is a two-stage cut off, one if the airbags deploy and another in case of electrical malfunction (e.g., some idiot using a 200 amp charger directly to the battery). Bentley mentions two types of J655 "Battery Switch-off Relay", one with a "****", but doesn't elaborate . It appears to be an omission.

Thanks again Storka. I understand you're talking about powering up just enough fuses to run diagnostics. It would seem one could jump the actual "blown" part of the system with a stout cable but god knows what could ensue. All the airbags pop at once...

Last edited by aTOMic; 06-30-2016 at 08:35 AM.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Why are you looking at it? There was no collision? It won't be activated by dead battery.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by mishar
Why are you looking at it? There was no collision? It won't be activated by dead battery.
Good question. Mainly because:
What else could cause sudden, complete loss of power to everything? Even the battery control module failure would allow vcds, right?.

He said they pulled the car out of the shop, parked it, and then went back to pull it in (same day) and *poof* battery's apparently totally dead (clue). So he "put the jump box on it" (clue) and still nothing. he says the battery is at 12.6v and not draining.

He thinks it's the key recognition but again that would not cause no power to the entire car.

And lastly; where would you look? I'm baffled (same thing he said). I had the battery go dead at least 5 times this winter; obviously it's the first thing but he's adamant it checks out.

I'm probably going to buy a battery and go up there. (Hear that Jerry?) I'm not mad, in fact I kinda feel sorry for the guy.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

There are a few fuseable links in there too. Might be a good idea to check the ground cable where it attaches to the body.
Old 06-30-2016, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default If battery measured 12.6v then what's

A new battery would do? Mine measured 12.2v and everything works. Find the real cause. Bring a different key, spare key and see if it would start. How does the plastic key work? or the spare?

Cheers,
Louis
Originally Posted by aTOMic
Good question. Mainly because:
he says the battery is at 12.6v and not draining.
I'm probably going to buy a battery and go up there. (Hear that Jerry?) I'm not mad, in fact I kinda feel sorry for the guy.

Last edited by ltooz_a6_a8_q7; 06-30-2016 at 02:29 PM.
Old 06-30-2016, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
A new battery would do? Mine measured 12.2v and everything works. Find the real cause. Bring a different key, spare key and see if it would start. How does the plastic key work? or the spare?

Cheers,
Louis
I used to work at a parts store, more than once a customer came in claiming their car was having problems starting and said the voltage on the battery was good. I'd check and it was. But when it came time for the load test, the voltage dropped faster than a sack full of hammers.
Old 06-30-2016, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Jack88
I used to work at a parts store, more than once a customer came in claiming their car was having problems starting and said the voltage on the battery was good. I'd check and it was. But when it came time for the load test, the voltage dropped faster than a sack full of hammers.
Yup, true, but he said it's stable @ 12.6... I'm sure LouTooz knows load will drop V And I agree Louie, I think mine started @ 10v once. IIRC.

I edited #4 above and again thanks everybody but I gotta start a new search-a-thon. This has not been a good week-month --hell, year. FML (been wanting to say that waaaaaaaaaaaah).

Edit re the keys, he has both (I only have 2)
Old 06-30-2016, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Just double check he jumped it off the negative pole and not the battery terminal
What damage would that do ?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Indy Mechanic: "Dead Battery Took Out Key Recognition, wants Car to go to $tealer