A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interesting "Cars of the Future" article

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Interesting "Cars of the Future" article

Hello & Happy Halloween!

Found this interesting article from McKinsey and their view of the future of the auto industry, automated and autonomous cars. I thought others would like a good read.

Will the soul of driving be taken away from us in the near future? Maybe, but to think about doing your email, making calls and catching up on reading or WATCHING the news while your borrowed car for that trip, speeds through the LA traffic in ¼ the time it takes today – is, well, compelling. Add to that, without the risk of injury in a collision, and no service or maintenance costs. Riding in comfort as the future mobile capsule zips you door to door and leaves you with a friendly “have a nice day, Craig” as it picks up the next person that reserved a ride via a smartphone app. The future is coming, faster than ever and I don’t believe there is any way to stop it. It will be slow at first, anti-collision sensors and cars communicating with each other – think Waze on steroids. My first experience with the future was the 2014 A8 loaner I drove while my car was being serviced by the dealer. The adaptive cruise control brought the car to a complete stop on the LA freeway, then speed back up as traffic allowed, WITHOUT touching a peddle. It was amazingly nice, smooth and stress free driving on our typically hectic LA freeways. If you haven’t experienced it, suggest you find a car so equipped and give it a try – I loved it.

You’ll still have to rip from my bloodied hands, my high horsepower, awesome fun-to-drive, luxury and gizmo replete “Sunday Driver” that I own and pamper. The same car, that as I walk away from it, I will stop, turn, look back at and SMILE!

A road map to the future for the auto industry | McKinsey & Company
Old 10-31-2014, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I read many future prediction articles over last fifty something years and neither one was even close to what really happened. I hope this one has the same fate. Car is so popular around the world because it is autonomous. Alternative is public transportation.

Regimenting cars under public transportation may be the future, but definitely not the bright one. It would be on line with implanted chips.

Better one would be both improved. Way smaller and lighter electric cars that can fit in special intercity electric trains, narrower but more traffic lines, synchronized traffic lights and well planed network of underground trains. Working from home wherever possible would additionally relax traffic. Shorter working hours and longer holidays... Well, just look at Europe.