A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intermittent "Parking Brake!" warning

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 03:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fatcatjohnny
I changed the sensor out and still keep getting right front wheel speed sensor codes. Before I changed it the right front was not reading at all. Now it is reading however the module keeps losing connection whenever I drive over 19kmh and it still sets the code.
also if I try to re establish connection after it looses it I cant until the car is stopped
Old 08-23-2016, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Did you check the wiring for issue as Mainely and MP4 suggested? If the issue stayed with that side, that's the likely culprit. Where a wire bends or is exposed to the most heat or elements would be the most likely spots to deteriorate.
Old 08-23-2016, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Did you clear the codes after install? Check for physical breaks in the wire?
Old 08-23-2016, 05:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MainelyA8
Did you clear the codes after install? Check for physical breaks in the wire?
Yes I did clear codes and inspected the wire on that side.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Note: I now have a left side code aswell. Possibly in the harness going to the module? But that doesnt explain my consistant loss of communication at 19kmh.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by fatcatjohnny
Note: I now have a left side code aswell. Possibly in the harness going to the module? But that doesnt explain my consistant loss of communication at 19kmh.
Again, just based on history of issues on board over many years, more than a few have unwrapped that harness area just below the module and found widely varying issues and sometimes pretty appalling corrosion--like sort of a loom of quasi bare wires in worst cases. Might be issue w/ module itself I suppose, but first be sure harness is in order given some have found obvious issues there. You could also ohm (continuity) test it from connector out to wheel sensors, but you need to find the connector pin out for that.
Old 08-24-2016, 02:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Again, just based on history of issues on board over many years, more than a few have unwrapped that harness area just below the module and found widely varying issues and sometimes pretty appalling corrosion--like sort of a loom of quasi bare wires in worst cases. Might be issue w/ module itself I suppose, but first be sure harness is in order given some have found obvious issues there. You could also ohm (continuity) test it from connector out to wheel sensors, but you need to find the connector pin out for that.
Yes this is what im going to do next. I know it sounds like im not listening to your suggestions but beleive me I am and I really appreciate them thank you! If I get a chance tonight I will take a look at the main harness.
Old 08-24-2016, 03:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

I had identical issue and the fix was as MP4 suggests; clean up corrosion on connector.
Old 08-24-2016, 06:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've checked continuity in the wiring on both sides and they read less than an ohm. I bent and tugged an jiggled all the wires and couldn't recreate an open circuit. I also pulled the fender well out on the drivers side. I moved and jiggeled the main harness as well and still couldn't recreate the problem. No obvious signs of corrosion or chafing anywhere. One side note regarding my loss of communication at 19kmh. Apparently that is programmed into vagcom or the module for "safety reasons". Also another odd thing I saw today on vagcom is that I watched the right side wheel speed sensor not read at all. Then I shut the car off and restarted it and it was working again.... pulling my hair out at this issue because I want to say its the module but I want to be sure its not the wiring first. Any specific places on the harness I should check? Thanks for all the help!!
Old 08-25-2016, 02:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ialso blew out some of the dust and crap from inside the connector. I'll see if that helped after I check the wiring.

Quick Reply: Intermittent "Parking Brake!" warning