A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It's my turn... low rider

Old 03-19-2017, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Welcome to my son's & my world.....
Old 03-19-2017, 08:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 03_AR_CO
One thing of interest, you may or may not already know if you are changing yours out, is the mount bracket is not the same as the more commonly sold 4.2 pump.I swapped brackets out, needed to source some rivets to do so.
I am aware of this now! Rather than wait a week+ to return and get a different one, I'm going to go the bracket swap path. I'll take pictures. Anything special about the rivets? Apart from size, obviously. Any information you might have on that would be greatly appreciated.

Took another shot at it today after pulling the front clip out a bit more, and after cutting a bunch of zip ties and pulling those barbed wire thingies out of everything it generally came out pretty easily. One that tripped me up for a little while was a piece of rigid hose which connected to an inlet/outlet on the side at the front of the pump that connects to the rear of the pump, then beyond to the muffler and other tubing. I wound up disconnecting at the muffler, it would have been way easier to disconnect the hose from the pump, which would have been possible had I pulled the bit out of the side, then the one out of the back. Oh well. I've got some pictures now, I'll make a thread when I've got a moment.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

If you are referring to the bracket/cover at the one end of the pump, I took the rivets out, then drilled and tapped the holes for 8-32 screws.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by born_slippy
I am aware of this now! Rather than wait a week+ to return and get a different one, I'm going to go the bracket swap path. I'll take pictures. Anything special about the rivets? Apart from size, obviously. Any information you might have on that would be greatly appreciated.

Took another shot at it today after pulling the front clip out a bit more, and after cutting a bunch of zip ties and pulling those barbed wire thingies out of everything it generally came out pretty easily. One that tripped me up for a little while was a piece of rigid hose which connected to an inlet/outlet on the side at the front of the pump that connects to the rear of the pump, then beyond to the muffler and other tubing. I wound up disconnecting at the muffler, it would have been way easier to disconnect the hose from the pump, which would have been possible had I pulled the bit out of the side, then the one out of the back. Oh well. I've got some pictures now, I'll make a thread when I've got a moment.
No special insight on the riveting, just sourced the size, and used a better quality steel rivet.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Size was 1/8" x 3/8", I used steel rivets, too. That was a lot easier than I was fearing.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I replaced just the orings on the rear strut. I pressured it to 100psi, did a soapy water test, and all looks good. Ive already sent a set of orings to another member to try and see if it fixes his leak. Less than .90 cents in orings fixing a very expensive part!!! Ill mail a set to anyone for $5.

Last edited by Tstealth32; 03-23-2017 at 10:21 AM.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

So. Here are the options on repairing the air strut.

1. Replace the large and small o-rings if bag and inlet valve are good - $1
2. Purchase a used air strut - $100-200
3. Purchase the air bag repair kit on ebay (this replaces the airbag and orings) - $200
4. Send in your air suspension for repair - $350
5.. Buy new suspension from china - $450
6. Buy new arnott - $700
7. Buy new oem - $1200-1500
Old 03-23-2017, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Tstealth32
I replaced just the orings on the rear strut. I pressured it to 100psi, did a soapy water test, and all looks good. Ive already sent a set of orings to another member to try and see if it fixes his leak. Less than .90 cents in orings fixing a very expensive part!!! Ill mail a set to anyone for $5.
Wow... how many do you have
Cheers,
Louis
Old 03-23-2017, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
Wow... how many do you have
Cheers,
Louis

24 sets I think!
Old 03-25-2017, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default What about inner pneumatic spring c ailure? Airbag OK.

Thank for you this massively helpful thread! Thank you Louis for the time and effort, I really like how you couple team does such amazing repair jobs.

I just did a major servicing yesterday, replaced upper control arm bushings too. But the ride never felt the same after that. It was less airy than it used to be, and i could hear squeaking and knocking sounds from the front left wheel area when driving over rough patches of road.

the car sits pretty level, maybe just half to one a centimeter higher on the front right side which had a brand new OEM full suspension replaced.

After hoisting the car for a few hours and letting the suspensions hang while the fluids were changed along with some other works, I suspect the front left dampers gave way. The air bags seem to be ok because the car sits reasonably level. I suspect it is the inner damper that is dead. This doesnt seem to be a common issue apparently. The drive feels ok on smooth roads, but once it hits rough patches or going over humps, the strut seem to crash all over the place with knocking and rattling noises.

I am really not looking to fork out $2000 just for another OEM shock absorber. Rebuilt ones seem dodgy since the inner damper is reused.

Has anyone had their inner damper fail while the air bag is still working ok?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: It's my turn... low rider