A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jack Mode without MMI?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jack Mode without MMI?

Is it possible to enable Jack Mode without MMI? I am in a situation where I need to get the car on jack stands and the car sits to low for my floor jack.

MMI reboots everything I try to turn it on. I've ordered VCDS and cable from Ross-Tech. In addition to diagnosing the MMI, can I use VCDS to enable jack mode?
Old 09-14-2014, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default Never heard of jack mode via VCDS. Try using 2x blocks

Haven't ever heard of jack mode via VCDS, other than the whole recalibrate height procedure--typically used to lower it.

But easier, just drive car up on some 2x blocks. Like 2x6 or 2x8 under the tires. Take a trip to H.D. if needed and have them cut you some if you don't have a saw handy.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

As MP said, but if you can't start the engine it would be difficult to push her up even if you manage to put her in N. If that is the case try using car jack that came with the car. Not applying Jack Mode won't make any difference if your battery is dead.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Haven't ever heard of jack mode via VCDS, other than the whole recalibrate height procedure--typically used to lower it.

But easier, just drive car up on some 2x blocks. Like 2x6 or 2x8 under the tires. Take a trip to H.D. if needed and have them cut you some if you don't have a saw handy.
Well, I do have some ramps but my problem is I am also experiencing a crank no start issue and I'm trying to get to the crank sensor from underneath and from the left wheel well. I've been able to use the emergency jack to raise it up enough to get the floor jack as backup support. I have jack stands that I will use instead of the floor jack if they will work.

Thanks for the suggestion on the 2x8s and blocks. If the floor ramps don't have the clearance once the A8 is drivable, Those would certainly do the trick.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Are you seeking LIFT mode? I would ask in Ros-Tech forum (after searching their wiki).

Jack mode doesn't automatically lift the car, it just tells it not to try and lower it becaue the height sensors report the dangling wheels' height and the car "thinks" it's way too high, and wants to bring it back to your selected height; therefore if you get the car lifted off the ground without having it in jack mode, when you set it back down it'll bottom out until the compressor can raise it again.
I remember in the suspension SSP it said to raise the car quickly with the shop (4-point) lift and the car recognizes that it's being lifted and sets jack mode automatically.
Jack mode supposedly "locks" the air suspension, and definitely can be a compressor-saver if your compressor won't stop.

Have you reset the MMI? Also I'd hook a good (voltage-regulated) 15A or more battery charger up and see if you're able to raise the car and or reset MMI. Hook the black clip to the large hexagonal post above the battery (not directly to the battery). Your problems may all be battery-related. These cars use 15A as soon as you put the key in! And a lot of weird things happen if voltage is low!
HTH,
Tom
Old 09-16-2014, 08:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

You were right about the voltage. After I pulled the amp and nav fuses and put it on a slow charge overnight, MMI seemed to work fine. I will have the battery tested as it doesn't seem to take long to reach the point to where MMI starts cutting out.