A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key fob programming, D3

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Key fob programming, D3

So I only got 1 key with the car, when i bought it.

I bought a used key (4E0837220M), the same spare part nr. as the original one.

What do i need to do, to make the KESSY accept the new key?

Of course, i need to get a new metal part, and get it machined to fit the mechanical locks.

But the "programming" side is the question?

Ross-tech wiki didn't clear things up at all for me, they only talk about the cheaper car's immobilizer 1 through 5, that's built in the instrument panel, nothing about the KESSY and start authorization system, the A8 D3 uses.
Old 12-22-2014, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by volvopentaman
What do i need to do, to make the KESSY accept the new key?
Take it, and all the other keys, to the dealer - usually 1 hour labor.
Cannot be done without GEKO connection to mothership in Ingolstadt.

ps - D3 uses Immo-III if memory serves
Old 12-22-2014, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have VAS5054A, same stuff as the dealer, and if needed, GEKO connection, just need to know how it's done.

I don't like to be robbed By the dealer, that takes like 300e for the labor. It just is **** expensive here in Finland, especially if you mention you have an A8L W12.

Normal audi dealer takes 150€/h here btw, and closer to 200€/h for special stuff!

If it uses IMMO 3, i can fix it myself, no need for GEKO.
Old 12-22-2014, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

If you have what the dealer has and truly believe it is all that is needed, there is noo need to ask us. It appears that either you don't have everything needed to perform the programming or the knowledge the dealer has so you will need to either pay for the knowledge or pay the dealer to do it.

As Jakematic says, you need to take all keys you have that you want to work with the vehicle to the dealer. They will connect it to the mothership and reprogram all to work with the vehicle. This will disable the original "lost" keys which is a good thing. I ordered a blank from the dealer by VIN. It came pre-cut as the dealer said they no longer have the old Bell type duplicating machine. Locksmith shops etc can duplicate the Bell type keys.

My son duplicates (the "Bell" type which VW and Audi's use) and programs keys for all kinds of American, Asian and some Italian vehicles. The German vehicles are different and the programming has to be done at a dealer as of now (2014 if this is looked at in an archive). This is for VW, Audi, Mercedes and BMW. Some day this may change.

Last edited by Mister Bally; 12-22-2014 at 03:55 PM.
Old 12-22-2014, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default That is the long standing Audi USA party line, but...

I think there may now be some recent stuff around from the Dark/KAOS/? side that may have hacked in, at least in theory. Same for odometers BTW. Not good on that part. Came across it in the past year, first w/ a knowledgeable Q5 reference from Central Europe.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 12-22-2014 at 04:26 PM.
Old 12-22-2014, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I have VAS5054A, same stuff as the dealer, and if needed, GEKO connection, just need to know how it's done.
All documented in erWin, but you have all the tools so should know the steps for passthrough.

I don't like to be robbed By the dealer
Then you better grab your ankles and get ready for the cost of setting up as a legitimate locksmith shop so you can use the online tool....

Best of luck.
Old 12-22-2014, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
I think there may now be some recent stuff around from the Dark/KAOS/? side that may have hacked in, at least in theory. Same for odometers BTW. Not good on that part. Came across it in the past year, first w/ a knowledgeable Q5 reference from Central Europe.
Yep all true, and genuinely bad for Europe and Asia.
Seeing it filter in to NAR as well through illegal importation by EU scumbags with lowlife connections here...
Old 12-22-2014, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think there was a way to get around the Kessy stuff (SAFE delete etc) that involves dumping the eeprom of the cluster. Not worth my time at $80 at the dealer.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Default It is time and money well spent

Originally Posted by halik
I think there was a way to get around the Kessy stuff (SAFE delete etc) that involves dumping the eeprom of the cluster. Not worth my time at $80 at the dealer.
If it runs 300 euros in Finland, that is a little different. But the 100.00 here is okay.
They do reprogram all the keys. And check them before releasing the vehicle.
200.00 for the key, and 100.00 for the programming is expensive. But all Smart keys are expensive.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yes, I'm quite sure 300e will not even be enough, because the key already is over 200€, probably total sum closer to 5-600€ if I just say "I have an A8, give me a new key and pair it".

I went to get a spare key for my Volvo S90 (just a normal transpoder key), 115€ + programming 130€. It is a key WITHOUT a remote.

Oil+filter + pollen filter change on A8L W12 2006 totaled 730€ at the dealer, tough i was ready for a 1000€ quote.

People nowadays take their car for service to Estonia, because it is way cheaper, they charge like 20-30€/h in Estonia at the dealerships, in Finland 70-200€/h.

Here's a procedure BTW:
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...8185343AA35CGR

I'll test it ASAP i get my key.

Otherwise i will buy a "hack tool" that can do this key thing, and also odometer correction and bypassing component protection (for cluster swap). I've seen this being done on video for a 2009 A4, just opened the car with mechanical key, plugged the "scanner" in OBD2 port, and pushed a few buttons, so 100% sure it is possible to do without "the mothership".

The fact is, that the key only needs to be paired to the drive authorization module, the GEKO connection is there only so that the factory Computer knows what's been done. The same stuff with the CP too.

I'm so pissed of at the dealerships, because they do not know what they are doing, and charge ridiculous sums for their crap work.

I run myself a garage, and do car repairs (that's why i have VAS5054 and loads of licenced diag equipment), everything from oil changes to engine and dirvetrain swaps and repairing control units. I just want to be able to say to my customers "I can do anything you need for a reasonable price, and without needing to get the car anywhere else".

Quick Reply: Key fob programming, D3