A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keyles entry and shut off?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Keyles entry and shut off?

So I know with the D3 you can start the engine with the key in your pocket. Will the engine die and car lock if you step out of it while running and walk away with the key?
Old 07-26-2016, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No but there is a message that comes up in the cluster to say the key is no longer present.

It will continue running till its shut off or runs out of fuel.
Old 07-26-2016, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by haggisuk

It will continue running till its shut off or runs out of fuel.
Or someone drives off with it.....

I have done it myself once before just to test, and thought to myself "Wow, great anti-theft system.... NOT ".

Old 07-26-2016, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

All the keyless cars I have driven behave this way, whichever the marque. Some allow you to use the fob to lock and unlock the running car to reduce theft risk, but that's about the best I've encountered. I just shut it down if I'm stepping away from it, restarting it isn't hard. For those with pets, I can understand that complicating things a bit in the summer.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Never leave the car running and "walk away". That's a recipe for theft - it happens every day.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

The reason why the car doesn't shut off when the key is out of range is for the simply reason that if the battery in the key fob gets a little iffy and the car doesn't sense the key for a few moments, the car doesn't suddenly die in the middle of the highway. I have had the "key not detected" pop up a couple of times while driving. I changed the battery in the fob and haven't had it come up since. Don't want the anti-theft system causing accidents on the road.

Any anti-theft system can be thwarted by a careless operator.

One thing came up tonight and that is the car cannot be locked using the exterior door handle switches when the key is out of range.

Also the car cannot be started unless the key is in close proximity to the front seat or center console.

The car cannot be locked from the exterior door handle switches when the key is in close proximity to the front seat or console.

One more safety feature is if you leave the left turn signal on for example, stop the car and turn off the lights, the left rear parking light will stay on indefinitely.

Last edited by richard-tx; 07-26-2016 at 08:03 PM.
Old 07-27-2016, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by richard-tx
The reason why the car doesn't shut off when the key is out of range is for the simply reason that if the battery in the key fob gets a little iffy and the car doesn't sense the key for a few moments, the car doesn't suddenly die in the middle of the highway. I have had the "key not detected" pop up a couple of times while driving. I changed the battery in the fob and haven't had it come up since. Don't want the anti-theft system causing accidents on the road.
I understand what you are saying, but not sure as to it being 100% accurate, as to the different Audi keys depending on year, some have the glass tube transponder and no battery is required in the FOB to start the vehicle, some have a soldered on board chip on the FOB that requires a battery, BUT either way I hear what you are saying as to the battery failing and the vehicle dying at speed, my thought was for when the vehicle is not at speed, say just parked, locked, or unlocked running with no key in sight and someone manages to gain access, then because said key is not read then the vehicle should cutoff or at least not come out of park and or lock the rear electric brakes, I mean the car even in 2005 has all the electronics needed, no.

Any anti-theft system can be thwarted by a careless operator.
Very true.

One thing came up tonight and that is the car cannot be locked using the exterior door handle switches when the key is out of range.
+1

Also the car cannot be started unless the key is in close proximity to the front seat or center console.
+1

The car cannot be locked from the exterior door handle switches when the key is in close proximity to the front seat or console.
+1

One more safety feature is if you leave the left turn signal on for example, stop the car and turn off the lights, the left rear parking light will stay on indefinitely.
Also known as ROW or European parking lights, you can select either the left or right with the stalk. https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...lease-2829093/