A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

leak in suspension : PArt 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 03:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Two things:
When mine failed I had leak fault code; replaced compressor and it never showed again. They're up to $599 from Ebay seller Messeir (or something like that) and it arrived in 2-3 days, amazingly. Search for compressor under my username (don't forget the *) there's a lot of info.

There appears to be only one pressure sensor but it's in the valve block and it does report pressures in each air spring individually. IIRC.

RE pump shutting off & associated overtemp DTC; there's an algorithmic system that shuts it down if it runs too much - and sets overtemp code! (this per SSP). There's a post of showing a pic of mine with the sensor in a glass of ice water and yet shut down from "overtemp".

Just replace the comp and relay and go from there.
Good luck
Tom
Old 11-11-2014, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aTOMic*
Two things:
When mine failed I had leak fault code; replaced compressor and it never showed again. They're up to $599 from Ebay seller Messeir (or something like that) and it arrived in 2-3 days, amazingly. Search for compressor under my username (don't forget the *) there's a lot of info.

There appears to be only one pressure sensor but it's in the valve block and it does report pressures in each air spring individually. IIRC.

RE pump shutting off & associated overtemp DTC; there's an algorithmic system that shuts it down if it runs too much - and sets overtemp code! (this per SSP). There's a post of showing a pic of mine with the sensor in a glass of ice water and yet shut down from "overtemp".

Just replace the comp and relay and go from there.
Good luck
Tom
update:

mine has a belt.
the belt and pump were examined and are in very good shape.
the reason why the replacement of pump and belt can into maintenance schedule, and dont quote me, but there was a new model a number of years ago that caused many failures due to belt and pump
so audi blanketed all belt models to save their **** on recalls and warranty.

with air ride suspension you can see the air struts fail but not that likely counter to what some of the deep pocket posters say out here.
front fails first due to weight and the compressor wears and weakens so works harder to get air ride working.
if your air compressor comes on then its not fuse or relay. those are cheap and easy.
remove your air compressor if you are able and bench test it.
buy a refurbish kit online.
test again. see if car lifts but be mindful to check all other components for leaks so as to not blow the air compressor again.
if it works great ! reinstall then test for leaks of hoses and struts.
most out here recommend a spray bottle with 50/50 water dish soap
yes the air struts can fail too.

In Canada the repair for air compressor, 1 strut, labour, taxes = $3000
$1500 if refurbished route.

DIY would be $50 for air compressor kit and $500 for refurbished strut + your time.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mishar
The first one is normal. When you live the car it goes up a bit so leveling system corrects that making it looking good even parked.

The second one is not good. At least one of your front struts is leaking air when it is cold. Probably on the air inlet, but you can't do anything but replacing it. You should do that ASAP or it will burn your compressor.
got my compressor fixed.
nothing, not even a millimeter rise.
pump shuts off after 2 minutes.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So either a big leak or your compressor is not fixed. You can watch the output pressure with VCDS to ensure your compressor is actually working properly.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jmhjgh
So either a big leak or your compressor is not fixed. You can watch the output pressure with VCDS to ensure your compressor is actually working properly.
thank you.
that is very helpful.
I can borrow a vcds cable again (a real one) but all I know is Auto scan.

Can you give me a little guidance on how to find output pressure ?

thanks
Sa
Old 11-19-2014, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jmhjgh
I should have asked this too before I rushed my reply.

Is it possible big hole in front that would prevent any air from reach rear wheels ?

I'm getting nothing at all in terms of lift but I hear the compressor
Old 11-20-2014, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe it is in 34-Level control, and then Measuring blocks. You should be able to see the compressor temperature and output pressure.

DSC_1570.jpg Photo by maladupa123 | Photobucket
Old 11-20-2014, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Can anyone help me with this problem?? https://www.audiworld.com/forums/2-7t-v6-discussion-107/positive-cable-battery-terminal-getting-hot-2-7t-2874921/
Old 11-27-2014, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Is the 2007 A8 air strut compatible on a 2007 S8? I have a leak in the RR air strut and I found a used one. But it's described as "A8 S8 W12". I have asked for a part number, but I wanted to see if you guys knew.

Thanks.
Old 11-27-2014, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default There are different units/part numbers for std. vs. sport

The air units have different part numbers, even inside of "A8's There are "sport" units and standard/comfort units. Owning a W12 and having done the S8 sway bar mod, I know first person the air unit on mine has the standard/comfort units, not the sport ones. The sport suspension models of course sit 20mm lower at rest and then only drop a further 5 mm, while the comfort ones drop a total of 25mm since they have that extra 20 mm step down. In there is presumably the difference. Not sure what the S8's have, but presumably it is either a variant of the A8 sport one, or it is yet another part number version.

Consider the Arnott rebuilt units. They have the standard/comfort ones and also note the difference. I see they now also have the sport suspension units. https://www.arnottindustries.com/par...17_pid174.html

Quick Reply: leak in suspension : PArt 2