A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

leak in suspension : PArt 2

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info, MP. I'll have to wait for the seller to tell me the part number to be sure.

I did look at the Arnott units already, but they don't have any rear units. Their web site only lists the front struts. That's why I resorted to looking for used parts.
Old 04-29-2015, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
The air units have different part numbers, even inside of "A8's There are "sport" units and standard/comfort units. Owning a W12 and having done the S8 sway bar mod, I know first person the air unit on mine has the standard/comfort units, not the sport ones. The sport suspension models of course sit 20mm lower at rest and then only drop a further 5 mm, while the comfort ones drop a total of 25mm since they have that extra 20 mm step down. In there is presumably the difference. Not sure what the S8's have, but presumably it is either a variant of the A8 sport one, or it is yet another part number version.

Consider the Arnott rebuilt units. They have the standard/comfort ones and also note the difference. I see they now also have the sport suspension units. https://www.arnottindustries.com/par...17_pid174.html
Been reading about the air compressor on another site.

debate about compressor.
Would the compressor still come on and blow 'a little' air even with a blown fuse and bad relay ?
some say yes, some say no.
Old 04-30-2015, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by allenst
Been reading about the air compressor on another site.

debate about compressor.
Would the compressor still come on and blow 'a little' air even with a blown fuse and bad relay ?
some say yes, some say no.
Please think about that for a moment, if you have a blown fuse, it has blown (normally) because the device its powering has most likely pulled too much current at some point which is usually because something is not right.

A fuses purpose in life is to prevent too much current from passing along that circuit, if its blown power will no longer pass to the device on that circuit.

So do you think that it will still work, you could look at a fuse as a kind of switch, when you switch off a light switch does the light continue to work?

Short answer is no
Old 04-30-2015, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by haggisuk
Please think about that for a moment, if you have a blown fuse, it has blown (normally) because the device its powering has most likely pulled too much current at some point which is usually because something is not right.

A fuses purpose in life is to prevent too much current from passing along that circuit, if its blown power will no longer pass to the device on that circuit.

So do you think that it will still work, you could look at a fuse as a kind of switch, when you switch off a light switch does the light continue to work?

Short answer is no
makes sense (electronics was never my thing in high school)

but could the relay be bad then, or stuck, or something ?
I ask because I got a clean vcds on suspension
yet the pump comes on intermitantly at all settings.
it does not come on when I am in P with engine running
Old 04-30-2015, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The compressor will only come on when its needed, the system works by pressure, if more pressure is required to lift / level the car then it has to be created by the compressor.

The relay is just the means to turn on the compressor when its needed.

Yes the relay could be bad, but its not very likely that its turning the compressor on by itself.

The suspension controller sends a small current to the relay to send a larger current to the compressor motor.

It may stick on but that failure would normally stay on and the compressor would keep running till something failed, the reason people change the relays is because they switch a high current, that by the very nature of the switching causes an arc when the relay switches on, over time the contacts become damaged and can potentially weld themselves together.

Thats why the relay should be replaced, its cheaper to do preventative maintenance like that then replace the whole compressor.

Why do you ask? Do you still have suspension issues?

Last edited by haggisuk; 04-30-2015 at 07:47 AM.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

The compressor will only come on when its needed, the system works by pressure, if more pressure is required to lift / level the car then it has to be created by the compressor.

The relay is just the means to turn on the compressor when its needed.

Yes the relay could be bad, but its not very likely that its turning the compressor on by itself.

The suspension controller sends a small current to the relay to send a larger current to the compressor motor.

It may stick on but that failure would normally stay on and the compressor would keep running till something failed, the reason people change the relays is because they switch a high current, that by the very nature of the switching causes an arc when the relay switches on, over time the contacts become damaged and can potentially weld themselves together.

Thats why the relay should be replaced, its cheaper to do preventative maintenance like that then replace the whole compressor.

Why do you ask? Do you still have suspension issues?
I scanned and got no issues.

what is happening though is the compressor seems to run intermitently.

so Im just trying to figure out what might be causing it to run like that, other than leaks.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by allenst
I scanned and got no issues.

what is happening though is the compressor seems to run intermittently.

so Im just trying to figure out what might be causing it to run like that, other than leaks.
if your finding the compressor is starting on its own without you raising the car via the mmi then it is likely you have a leak.

Park the car for the night select jacking mode and if its dropped in one or more struts then you can start looking there, but you may have leak somewhere else.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

if your finding the compressor is starting on its own without you raising the car via the mmi then it is likely you have a leak.

Park the car for the night select jacking mode and if its dropped in one or more struts then you can start looking there, but you may have leak somewhere else.

k, will do that tonight and see.
thanks
Old 04-30-2015, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default just did a scan. results for suspension

huh, here's what I got.
would the fix be in the manuals you posted yesterday.
recall my pump cycles on sometimes.

Thanks for your patience

Address 34: Level Control Labels: 4E0-910-553.lbl
Part No SW: 4E0 910 553 E HW: 4E0 907 553 E
Component: LUFTFDR.-CDC H05 4290
Coding: 0015510
Shop #: WSC 93250 999 80931
VCID: 2541D66CECA1F0093D9-8070

2 Faults Found:
00778 - Steering Angle Sensor (G85)
008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00101000
Fault Priority: 3
Fault Frequency: 2
Reset counter: 112
Mileage: 173016 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2003.06.18
Time: 00:00:44

01400 - Suspension Level Control
002 - Lower Limit Exceeded - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100010
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 114
Mileage: 173024 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2003.06.19
Time: 02:05:26
Old 04-30-2015, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

I'd buy a service manual for the car and use it to help troubleshoot. I think there have been enough posts here by several people to help you out.

Please post where you are located in case someone close might offer to assist you.

Quick Reply: leak in suspension : PArt 2