A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LIQUI MOLY

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Default LIQUI MOLY

Hi guys,

I just want to share an update.

After I bought my S8 I used LIQUI MOLY fuel additives with Shell V-power and you can feel difference in performance. Oil change was done with Liqui Moly oil.

Also new K&N air filter helped a lot.

Now after trip to KY this weekend my car sounds funny. There is possibility it is a hole in the flex pipe. I will upload video of the sound tomorrow in new thread.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Read the first post in this thread:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...-read-2877219/

Then heed the advice to use the search function. I mention it in relation to your K&N air filter. Dozens if not hundreds of posts regarding them. You will want to remove them immediately from your vehicle.

Or, use the referenced parts suppliers to purchase new Mass Airflow Sensors.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Hope it is not MAF

Originally Posted by NotoriousGLU
Hi guys,

I just want to share an update.

After I bought my S8 I used LIQUI MOLY fuel additives with Shell V-power and you can feel difference in performance. Oil change was done with Liqui Moly oil.

Also new K&N air filter helped a lot.

Now after trip to KY this weekend my car sounds funny. There is possibility it is a hole in the flex pipe. I will upload video of the sound tomorrow in new thread.
The details shared here convinced me to pull the K&N from three of our cars. Never had one in the Audi. But considered buying one.
I have a bunch of K&N filter cleaner and oil.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm in the minority here about K&N filters. I ran one in my Q45 for 6+ years, 10+ years on my D2, and 2+ years with my W12. I am very careful on the use of their oil. I use it very, very lightly. So I personally have a good track record with K&N.

Last edited by TSHong; 03-23-2015 at 07:19 PM.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by TSHong
I'm in the minority here about K&N filters. I ran one in my Q45 for 6+ years, 10+ years on my D2, and 2+ years with my W12. I am very careful on the use of their oil. I use it very, very lightly. So I personally have a good track record with K&N.
I hear you. Most think that if a little oil is good, a lot must be great. Did your A45 and D2 have MAF's?
Old 03-23-2015, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess we both are in the minority. I ran one for over 10 years in a 5 speed maxima with a MAF! No problems at all!

Old 03-23-2015, 11:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
I hear you. Most think that if a little oil is good, a lot must be great. Did your A45 and D2 have MAF's?
I know my D2 and W12 does but I have to check on my Q45. I can't remember if it had a MAF or MAP sensor since it's been a few years. I'll check and get back.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I just verified that my 1994 Q45 did have a MAF sensor. I seriously did use very minimal oil.

As a side note, I use BG44K every 10K miles but I think I'm going to use it every 5K. It cleans everything because it does not burn. My thought is that used regularly, it will keep my O2 sensors relatively clean. I can tell a little bump in miles per tank.

Last edited by TSHong; 03-23-2015 at 11:19 PM.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NotoriousGLU

I used LiquiMoly "Top Tec ATF 1800" when I did my transmission flush to get rid of the "hoot" as described below...it worked like a charm:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...2866998/page3/

I just verified that my 1994 Q45 did have a MAF sensor. I seriously did use very minimal oil.

As a side note, I use BG44K every 10K miles but I think I'm going to use it every 5K. It cleans everything because it does not burn. My thought is that used regularly, it will keep my O2 sensors relatively clean. I can tell a little bump in miles per tank.
I also recently had a positive experience with BG44K in my A8L...was getting a set of lean codes as described below, and after much trouble-shooting a can of BG44K got rid of the codes permanently:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...2878901/page4/
Old 03-24-2015, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll add to the strong advice to not use oiled air filters such as K&N.
They flow better because they don't filter as well.
If you're driving in a dusty area, silica particles that would otherwise be trapped by paper are making their way into the cylinder head past the rings into the crankcase, where they slowly cause wear.
Is it worth the risk to the MAF sensors, and the wear on the reciprocating bits, for a supposed few extra horse powers?
Besides, the dual air box systems on the S8 and W12 flow plenty.

As for fuel system cleaners, the active ingredient that has been tested and proven to work is PEA.
I add 3.75 ounces of Redline to each tank of gas.
We know how much PEA it contains by it's MSDS, other manufacturers not so much.

MSDS;
Redline SI-1 https://www.redlineoil.com/content/f...DS%2012-12.pdf (2013: 30-40% PEA)
Techron https://cglapps.chevron.com/msdspds/...&docFormat=PDF (2011: PEA not listed, but company confirms it’s still being used, see Chevron's Response on PEA in Techron | Fuels and Fuel Additives: Gasoline and Diesel | Bob Is The Oil Guy)
BG 44K http://bgfleming.com/products/msds/208.pdf (2013: doesn’t use PEA)

Last edited by EHLO; 03-24-2015 at 07:41 AM.

Quick Reply: LIQUI MOLY