A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for an S8 could use some advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At 89K on the clock, most items that will go or need replacing should be replaced already. I would expect replaced front upper arms/bushings as well as past the second set of pads on the front and perhaps the rear as well. Check the rotors to see if they look newerish. Upper bushings can be viewed if the front wheels are removed, easier if there are prior service records. Front door handle lock buttons (top button) are prone to failure. Rear auxiliary heaters may be gone as well, but that's nothing to break the deal. Touch everything, make sure every feature works properly. Bring a laptop and VCDS and run a scan if possible or bring along a friend who has one.
Old 04-29-2015, 07:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SaltyIrishman
Totally different animals--Infinitis [and Japanese cars in general] have never had any interest from me, although my father had the first generation Q45 and that was an outlier with no traction control, RWD and a potent V8.

Again, you should just spend your time searching the board. The cars are remarkably reliable from a motor and transmission perspective, the only typical things going wrong are the air suspension which should be expected to be replaced eventually one at a time and the upper control arm bushings. In general, same issues with all D3s.

You have to make the decision for yourself; arm yourself with the information you can, read the sticky on typical D3 problems and try to get a car with records and you will know what you're dealing with and can make an informed decision.
Thanks Salty! I actually owned one of those Q45 and yes it was agreat V8 and the big body stayle with great body design. The only issue was the rear wheel drive here in Mass. I'm taking my time and looking slowly. The car was super clean so I hope the service records show that it has been taken care of.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default History what do you think?

audi s8 service history.pdf

So here is waht I got for a history on the vehicle. What do you guys think?
Old 04-29-2015, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

From Febuary 2013 to June 2014 they put 28,000 miles on the car?
Old 04-29-2015, 09:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Jack88
From Febuary 2013 to June 2014 they put 28,000 miles on the car?
This is what I got from the seller. Is it me or does it seem a little questionable? I know some people drive their cars but...
Also how do I detremine excatly what was done with all these codes and general comments?
Old 04-29-2015, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Looks like regular stuff. I see nothing that raises any red flags. Between 70K-71K looks like it may have had the bushings done as well as new front brakes (my guess).
Mileage in question isn't terrible, I drove one car for a year and a half, put 50K on it. I've only put 10K on my S8 in two years. Times have changed....
Old 04-29-2015, 09:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 1Wasserwerks
Looks like regular stuff. I see nothing that raises any red flags. Between 70K-71K looks like it may have had the bushings done as well as new front brakes (my guess).
Mileage in question isn't terrible, I drove one car for a year and a half, put 50K on it. I've only put 10K on my S8 in two years. Times have changed....
1Wasserwerks so should I call the dealer and confirm that the bushings and all brakes were done? Also not details on air suspension correct? Sorry not really understanding all the codes.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by redliner996
This is what I got from the seller. Is it me or does it seem a little questionable? I know some people drive their cars but...
Not a red flag, I was just surprised. Nothing in the history seems irregular to me.
Old 04-29-2015, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by redliner996
1Wasserwerks so should I call the dealer and confirm that the bushings and all brakes were done? Also not details on air suspension correct? Sorry not really understanding all the codes.
If the dealer can provide even more detailed information on repairs performed that would be beneficial to you. If i was serious about this one, i would request details from those 70-71K repairs, just for peace of mind. One car I had bought a while back came with all service records, showed that the transmission seals were replaced about every 30K.

From what I remember about the history report, the customer had complained about front end issues. At 70-71K, the possibility of a strut replacement exists, but more likely suspension arms (I replaced mine at 72K). I replaced my left front strut about the same time as well, but strut wear also depends on how good or bad roads/driving habits are. There are D3 owners with many miles on their cars who report 0 issues with struts.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

My '04 came off of a 2 year lease (to the day) and it had 55,900 miles on the odometer.

Quick Reply: Looking for an S8 could use some advice