A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud Air Compressor

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Loud Air Compressor

First things first... I did a search!

Yesterday, I noticed that my air compressor sounded especially loud. It kind of sounded like a rattling air conditioner. I have a video, which I will attempt to post later on.

The car lifted, and lowered just fine, with zero problems. Both while driving, and when parked. No error lights appeared (this time, I did get the yellow suspension light the day before due to being in dynamic mode with lots of snow on the ground and not having enough clearance). I also haven't heard the noise since, or any other time before this.

Is it normal for these to be relatively noisy in the colder weather, or when warming up? Based on a lot of the posts I've read, I'm thinking no, but I always like second opinions.

I am trying to source the relay for this as well. During my search, I read that having a backup handy is helpful because they tend to fail without much warning.
Old 12-31-2015, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts
Default Shouldn't be noisy

It shouldn't be noisy. Sounds like one if the motor magnets is loose causing the noise. They can be dismantled and reattached with JB Weld but you don't have the luxury of time to sort otherwise the compressor will be toast.
Old 12-31-2015, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dvs_dave
It shouldn't be noisy. Sounds like one if the motor magnets is loose causing the noise. They can be dismantled and reattached with JB Weld but you don't have the luxury of time to sort otherwise the compressor will be toast.
Would this still be true if the noise wasn't happening all of the time? I only heard it once, for a few minutes.

I'll start looking for a writeup/video on how to remove the compressor. Might as well buy a rebuild kit if I'm doing that.
Old 12-31-2015, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Came across this video while trying to research how to change my rear bearing and hub. Looks pretty straight forward and simple...
Old 01-01-2016, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 242 Likes on 199 Posts

Hahaha

Looks like a professional shop
Old 01-01-2016, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Pothole5000
Hahaha

Looks like a professional shop
+1.

I was going to comment earlier; That video is why you need a factory service manual with proper procedures. Following youtube videos that purport to be proper with a safety-related device such as a car is not very smart.

Reminds me of Goofus and Gallant from the Highlights for Children magazine: Gallant follows all VW/Audi shop manual procedures. Goofus installs the part to get the vehicle out the door and has a beer. You get the idea.

Then again, the VW/Audi manual calls for engine removal more times than necessary.
Old 01-01-2016, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah I thought it was pretty comical also...but there were a number of "better" videos I came across that went into more detail on how to replace the compressor. Good luck!
Old 01-02-2016, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mines loud on a cold start up for the first 30 seconds. Audi told me there was nothing to wory about. Sounds like a Vacuum with no rattling
Old 01-02-2016, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I just replaced mine yesterday. Unfortunately I never recorded it I wish i had a garage that is big enough but had to do it on my driveway and it was raining on and off. I had serviced it 6 months or so ago but it got mega loud 2 weeks ago so I replaced it. I was really impressed by the delivery the next day

compressor air suspension Audi A8 diesel air ride pump 4E0616007E | eBay

For my replacement of 2007 4.2 TDI
Jack car up in jack mode
Remove wheels
Remove Front belly pan under car
Remove passenger side inner wheel trim (RHD Car) compressor will be smiling at you underneath the headlight.
Peel back driver side wheel trim (No need to remove fully)
Remove bumper (This enables you to reach the 4th nut of the compressor bracket at the front of the car) two 10mm bolts inside of wheel well on each side. Need a deep socket type to be able to grip the nut. 5 torx screws under bonnet. Slide bumper off and rest on something soft on floor no need to disconnect any wiring here.

Remove compressor
4 torx T45 or 40?? Very limited space. 1 very apparent easy to see, 1 behind that one near electrical connectors, 1 in the front left corner of the bracket. the final 1 is Mr. terrible you may have to remove the headlight to get at it. I previously cut a little access groove out of the headlight plastic bracket as I had a feeling i may have to go back and replace the compressor at some time and it made it a lot easier. Unclick connectors,unclip air pipe running to compressor from inside the wheel arch. Unscrew air inlet pipe from the compressor. Remove compressor with bracket attached from the car.

Regarding the video above there is no way that is a half hour job even if you have all the proper tools and have done this procedure 20 times before.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:30 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello chokboywonda,

I am not sure if you have a different setup for diesel, it looks the same as the gas model in the link you provided, BUT on the 4.2 there is no reason to remove the bumper as there is no need to remove the 4 bolts that hold the bracket on, one would just remove the 3 spring loaded screws that mount the compressor to the bracket, leaving said bracket attached to the vehicle, SO as somewhat shown in the video, just remove the fog light and surrounding grill to access 1 spring loaded mounting screw from the front and the other 2 spring loaded mounting screws in the rear after removing the wheelhouse liner, I have done 2 of these on 4.2's and it's about an hour job +/-, my second time 35ish minutes.

Originally Posted by chokboywonda
For my replacement of 2007 4.2 TDI
Jack car up in jack mode
Remove wheels
Remove Front belly pan under car
Remove passenger side inner wheel trim (RHD Car) compressor will be smiling at you underneath the headlight.
Peel back driver side wheel trim (No need to remove fully)
Remove bumper (This enables you to reach the 4th nut of the compressor bracket at the front of the car) two 10mm bolts inside of wheel well on each side. Need a deep socket type to be able to grip the nut. 5 torx screws under bonnet. Slide bumper off and rest on something soft on floor no need to disconnect any wiring here.

Remove compressor
4 torx T45 or 40?? Very limited space. 1 very apparent easy to see, 1 behind that one near electrical connectors, 1 in the front left corner of the bracket. the final 1 is Mr. terrible you may have to remove the headlight to get at it. I previously cut a little access groove out of the headlight plastic bracket as I had a feeling i may have to go back and replace the compressor at some time and it made it a lot easier. Unclick connectors,unclip air pipe running to compressor from inside the wheel arch. Unscrew air inlet pipe from the compressor. Remove compressor with bracket attached from the car.

Regarding the video above there is no way that is a half hour job even if you have all the proper tools and have done this procedure 20 times before.

Last edited by JohnnyJ A6Q; 01-02-2016 at 10:36 AM.

Quick Reply: Loud Air Compressor