A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low speed "wobble"

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
If swapping both front tires to the rear does not fix this, check in board & outboard CV Joints too.
would I not get like a click-clack and hop if CV was bad ? or something audible when turning ?
Old 03-27-2015, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by allenst
thanks.

is it common for that 'out of round' to occur all of a sudden ?
here in Canada we went from winter to spring driving lately and this seems to have coincided. that doesnt make sense to me.

it could be a tire and the bushings and joint.

will have to investigate this wkend.
Yes because you have a good tires and at some point, there is a belt separation and now you have a low speed wobble. Happens all the time.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I do hear a click now

when parked I turn the wheel right
and I hear a 'click' sound.
I do not hear this sound when I turn the wheel left, only when turning right while in park.
It is coming from driver side front, and it feels 'loose' while driving in that area
Old 03-28-2015, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by allenst
when parked I turn the wheel right
and I hear a 'click' sound.
I do not hear this sound when I turn the wheel left, only when turning right while in park.
It is coming from driver side front, and it feels 'loose' while driving in that area
Check this thread and see if these other aspects apply to you. It may be a wheel bearing issue.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...-cv-s-2863193/
Old 03-30-2015, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Besides tires being the issue, a bent rim would also cause uneven tire wear and the issues you describe. Driving into one bad pot-hole would mess up a tire and could most certainly damage the rim.
Old 04-06-2015, 11:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts
Default Yes, there is a TSB on clicking issue

Originally Posted by Albatrossboss
Check this thread and see if these other aspects apply to you. It may be a wheel bearing issue.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...-cv-s-2863193/
As you linked from my prior post, there is an obscure TSB for slow speed clicking when turning. I have it a bit in my W12, and a few others reported similarly when I posted on it per that link above. Fix is to apply a bit of anti seize on bearing shell when it is inserted into the hub/steering knuckle. So far not worth fixing in my case because bearings are fine and I only hear it in a quiet concrete wall garage sound reflection type scenario when turning and coming to s stop while parking.

But meanwhile for OP (allenst), reading this casually it seems like it could be any of front upper control arm bushings, a bad torn CV joint/boot, or a wheel bearing, let alone the tire issue possibles. I think it needs a first person experienced inspection to diagnose; arm chair diagnostics can't sort that precisely.
Old 04-07-2015, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I can now add this...

today was first day you could drive with windows down.

I hear a new sound. You cannot hear the sound in the cabin--just when driver window open.

It's a high-pitched whirling sound. It gets fast and higher as the vehicle accelerates.
It sounds like rubber of metal rubbing as the tire rotates.

It's not 'get your attention as you drive by' loud, but audible with window open.
Old 04-07-2015, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

One, it is so good to see MP contributing again. But your problem is starting to sound like a wheel bearing to me. The bushings should not make noise if car is running staright over smooth pavement. CV joint also would be very loud turning.
Not sure why is is noisey turning one way and not the other.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Panelhead
One, it is so good to see MP contributing again. But your problem is starting to sound like a wheel bearing to me. The bushings should not make noise if car is running staright over smooth pavement. CV joint also would be very loud turning.
Not sure why is is noisey turning one way and not the other.
You are right but I should clarify the noise when turning right.

If I'm parked. I hear like a loose click when I turn the wheel right.
The noise is not made in any other turning situations.

The bushings sound like a garbage truck over our roads. Our roads right now must be some of the worst in the western world.
it just sounds all jangly and loose when you run over some shallow rough pavement.

you are right that when on good pavement, even a smooth run over a speed bump, I hear nothing.

it's the low speed wobble. car literally jumps right to left as you slow and gets worse as you come to stop.

whats new to the situation is that high pitched rub sound that is tied to the wheel rotation.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Does the high pitched sound change frequency depending on speed? As in, at low speed its dull but when accelerating its pitch gets higher, and if you let off of the accelerator it dies down again?

Also, please explain the car literally jumping from right to left in more detail. Does it only do this in certain instances? Turning? over a patch of rough or choppy road? etc.

Quick Reply: Low speed "wobble"