A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mac OS X users can use VCDS now...

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Mac OS X users can use VCDS now...

Alright, I tried not to use Windows at all, but I have to since I need VCDS and VW software Elsawin. I hate to logout and reboot to Windows. Now I can do it right in Mac environment, thanks to VMware Fusion. Yes, it costs $70 but it's much easier to use than the free Oracle Vbox.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 07-04-2015, 02:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

VMware Fusion has been around for years. Is version 7 the first that allows you to avoid a reboot to get to the Windows partition?
Old 07-04-2015, 03:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
VMware Fusion has been around for years. Is version 7 the first that allows you to avoid a reboot to get to the Windows partition?
All versions of both VMware Fusion and Parallels work within Mac OS X, it's Apple's Boot Camp that requires rebooting into a Windows partition.
Old 07-04-2015, 04:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by EHLO
All versions of both VMware Fusion and Parallels work within Mac OS X, it's Apple's Boot Camp that requires rebooting into a Windows partition.
That's what I thought. The OP's post threw me off by thinking it was something new.
Old 07-04-2015, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Virtual Machines had been out for many years...

But the free one like <a href="https://www.virtualbox.org">Virtualbox from Oracle</a> is not very devices friendly. I couldn't get it to recognize the USB ports. VCDS does need a good USB port to connect especially with USB 3.0 these days (I don't really want it to send wrong bits through the OBDII. I don't know about older versions but version 7 seems to work perfectly. All virtual machines allow working with different OS without booting into OS partitions. Bootcamp also is the alternative which many Mac people use, but I never tried since I have dual boot on my laptops anyhow.
VWware Fusion 7 is new for me and it works amazingly well, it's fast, file transfer friendly. I'll see how well it works with ElsaWin 5.1.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 07-04-2015, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
But the free one like <a href="https://www.virtualbox.org">Virtualbox from Oracle</a> is not very devices friendly. I couldn't get it to recognize the USB ports. VCDS does need a good USB port to connect especially with USB 3.0 these days (I don't really want it to send wrong bits through the OBDII. I don't know about older versions but version 7 seems to work perfectly. All virtual machines allow working with different OS without booting into OS partitions. Bootcamp also is the alternative which many Mac people use, but I never tried since I have dual boot on my laptops anyhow.
VWware Fusion 7 is new for me and it works amazingly well, it's fast, file transfer friendly. I'll see how well it works with ElsaWin 5.1.

Cheers,

Louis
ElsaWin (and ETKA, etc.) works fine in a VM, there is some discussion in the sticky topic.
Old 07-05-2015, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Can't install on both laptop with VMware Fusion

Originally Posted by EHLO
ElsaWin (and ETKA, etc.) works fine in a VM, there is some discussion in the sticky topic.
Elsawin 5.1 with both on windows 8.1 laptop OS, no problems.

Installed on VMware got error

Hit an error!
Code = 80070424

I really love to see the sticky on who actually installed this version on windows 8.1. Please direct me to the correct sticky since I'm search ability is limited with google and this forum.

Thanks,

Louis
Old 07-05-2015, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
Elsawin 5.1 with both on windows 8.1 laptop OS, no problems.

Installed on VMware got error

Hit an error!
Code = 80070424

I really love to see the sticky on who actually installed this version on windows 8.1. Please direct me to the correct sticky since I'm search ability is limited with google and this forum.

Thanks,

Louis
There is one sticky at the top of this forum, and I don't see any mention of 8.1, but I do know that XP works.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have VCDS x64 version installed and working on Windows 8.1. It is installed on a Dell 2-n-1
Old 07-06-2015, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Humph. I thought this thread was news of a Mac-native version of VCDS.

I run it using Parallels on my Mac and it works fine for me.

Quick Reply: Mac OS X users can use VCDS now...