A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maybe Model D better? Model S DNF. Quattro rolls on...

Old 12-15-2014, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default Maybe Model D better? Model S DNF. Quattro rolls on...

Yep, here's what gives the NorCal flatlanders either a bad name or yet another laugh. Like wimpy 3" of snow on the ground currently, let alone between the road plows out running a lot already. Second picture shows you the road in foreground. This is the classic 800 foot climb hill into the subdivision that stops the 2WD'ers without chains or the summer tire crowd cold--even with a chains or AWD required sign at bottom of the hill. First time in 17 years I have seen one most of the way over the side though instead of simply spinning wheels. Of course having watched that many a time it's usually the spinning wheels as you slide back--and toward the side.

And this with cable chains you see on it, of course kind of slack. And yes those would be at least half worn tires from what I saw; maybe A/S's at best but not even sure of that--could be MPG oriented, bad in snow eco wonders actually. I suspect technically this may also be a real world example of why total torque at zero RPM may not be a great idea if you don't know what you're doing either.

But hey, it's got the commuter lane fashion stickers on the bumpers. Note to file: lane isn't here in the weeds either, though they don't permit parking on the shoulder during snow season so maybe driver was thinking get it well off road.

Then the double whammy. If it's down on the battery pack that is the whole underfloor essentially, who knows how much more damage. The titanium shield they retro'ed for the prior patty melts up by the "fire" wall probably doesn't reach back for this scenario, nor does the looks nice but not real world ride height do wonders either.

Meantime soldiering on in the D3. Actually on a fair off angle slope there as well. Just put it in drive and motored quietly along; lift mode for the driveway berm as I rolled back home. As usual about the only sedan and wagon type vehicles up here are the Subies and Audi's and the occasional Volvo. Oh, and one Model S in the ditch.
Attached Images   

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 12-16-2014 at 09:11 AM.
Old 12-15-2014, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Not so sure If I see it right but apparently you're in the ditch too
Old 12-15-2014, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pics no workie
Old 12-15-2014, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by tx170754
Not so sure If I see it right but apparently you're in the ditch too
I don't think you see it right.

Hey, that's the only W12 that my son and I have ever driven!
Old 12-15-2014, 08:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'm on a side road...

that turns off right there at an angle--a "back way" for the locals who know the streets. But, it means the area I was parked is off angle because the intersection slopes have to match up to the main road the Tesla slipped off of.

Zero drama all day in the D3 errand runs, and the Tesla was the only one I saw kaputt.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:46 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

I think you're being a little disingenuous toward the Tesla there. Its not a failing of the car, rather the driver that caused that incident. Could just as easily have been a RWD gas powered car which fare no better in those conditions.

I hope you at least tried to help the poor guy out with a tow or something?
Old 12-15-2014, 10:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Cold and electric cars don't mix; imagine getting stuck on a mountain pass in that thing.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Can I use that picture for my Christmas card ?

Subtitled: Electric 0, W12 1
Old 12-16-2014, 07:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Yep, here's what gives the NorCal flatlanders either a bad name or yet another laugh.
Wow wow wow! I appreciate it if you referred to them as the California Valley Folk who are off to the races on straight passing lanes but slow down to below suggest speeds on turns.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Failing of both car and driver...

Driver failure is obvious. But then throw in tires optimized for mileage and a poor tread pattern, too low ride height for real world (already demonstrated with the melt downs, let alone snow), presumably a fully open diff, apparently poorly set up or non existent traction control electronics, and most importantly way too much torque delivery at low rpm's/wheel speed for the conditions, and presto. You would hope with the screen gadgetry they would "have an app" for this, but I have a hunch it wasn't thought through--as in, carefully engineered. Better get it right, since I honestly expect a ton of the year "old" ones are going to get turned in here in car fashion SF Bay Area (especially the Peninsula) in favor of the Dec. release dual motor one, aka all wheel drive.

Driver had apparently just completely walked away. I stopped (unlike anyone else I saw) and no one was in or around car; not even footprints. There was little snow right underneath the back of it, another sign it was just dumped on the roadside sometime overnight since little snow had fallen until a few hours before I arrived.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 12-16-2014 at 09:08 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Maybe Model D better? Model S DNF. Quattro rolls on...