A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Member intro and D3 MMI control board

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Member intro and D3 MMI control board

Hey guys,

I'm new here, but I'm pretty forum and car savvy. I usually can handle the search button haha. I come from a BMW background my toy is a E92 M3 and I just purchased a 2004 A8l gray on tan interior for a daily driver.

So the A8L, I got royally F&#kd on this car by the PO. He bought it at auction figured out it needed a ton of work then basically had his mechanic set up the car to hiDE the issues with it. Of course no returns on crigslist. So 6 months later a motor swap and hundreds of dollars spent in suspension it's finally on the road. Should have parted it and wrote it off as an loss but too late now.

So if I wasnt regretting buying this car already I encounter another disaster. My brother moved my car around the driveway one night and did not close the sunroof. We got torential downpours that evening.... there was a puddle about a inch deep in the foot well the next morning. And me being stubborn, possibly stupid did not just call the insurance company.

So of course as you can imagine the MMI board is toast. Originally after removing and drying it my VAG COM was saying it was in component protection. So i installed it and brought it to the dealer and they are telling me that the board is fried.

So, where can I get a new board that's plug and play so I don't need to bring it back to a dealer and pay another $130? I found a old thread that said such a thing existed but could not find where to go buy it and did not bump the thread ss I was very old.

If anyone has any input on where to get one or has a used one they know is good for sale let me know.

Thanks for the add! For as many problems the car has I absolutely love it.
Old 07-02-2015, 10:49 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigtracing
I found a old thread that said such a thing existed but could not find where to go buy it and did not bump the thread ss I was very old.
Link the thread here, so we know what you are talking about.
Old 07-02-2015, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by JohnnyJ A6Q
Link the thread here, so we know what you are talking about.
I'll search for it more when Im out of work. Basically I want to find the cheapest place to buy a control board. Preferably without component protection which a few people on this board have said is possible.
Old 07-02-2015, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 242 Likes on 199 Posts

This guy might still have it.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...ssues-2885049/
Old 07-02-2015, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Pothole5000
My car does not have push to start so I do not know if the board is the same.
Old 07-02-2015, 01:41 PM
Banned

The MMI controls on the console do not have component protection, if your scan is showing address # 7 MMI Control Head "not reachable" or "component protection" it is talking about the MMI Control Head located behind the glove box mounted on the firewall.

Please clarify or post scan.....
Attached Images  

Last edited by JohnnyJ A6Q; 07-02-2015 at 02:09 PM.
Old 07-02-2015, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by JohnnyJ A6Q
The MMI controls on the console do not have component protection, if your scan is showing address # 7 MMI Control Head "not reachable" or "component protection" it is talking about the MMI Control Head located behind the glove box mounted on the firewall.

Please clarify or post scan.....
Thanks for the clarification, I did not know that.

My dealer just reported to me confirming the board is bad. They swapped it with a test board they keep in the shop. It worked flawlessly with the test board thankfully so I don't need to buy a control head or anything.

Another question I have is, has anybody had a computer repair shop attempt to fix a old board? I have a few options of businesses that may do the work. Just wondering if it's worth the money to have them take a look at it.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Call Module Master in Moscow, Idaho and ask them if they will take a look at it.
Old 07-02-2015, 07:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default He must be a genius to hide all the problems from you...

Hey guys,

I'm new here, but I'm pretty forum and car savvy.
Sometimes it's better to underestimate ourselves and overestimate the problems and not the other way around.

If the dealer found the problem, just buy a new one and have fun with it. I think DanMcBoost have an extra one.

I see more A6 & Q7 controller boards on eBay than A8s.

Some Chinese companies contacted me to see if I want to try their brand new MMI controller board a few months ago. I can't seem to find the email.

I'm on vacation next week, I'm sure I can take a look at your board to see what's wrong with it. I won't be back for 2 weeks. I'm sure it's a simple board with switches and a decoder.

Cheers and good luck,

Louis

Last edited by ltooz_a6_a8_q7; 07-02-2015 at 08:04 PM.
Old 07-05-2015, 04:37 AM
Banned

Originally after removing and drying it my VAG COM was saying it was in component protection.
So what is in "component protection" mode ???

Post your scan.