A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Metal noise from front end when turning at slow speeds

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Metal noise from front end when turning at slow speeds

Hey, there is a metal sound coming from the front end of my 2004 A8 L. We replaced the upper and lower controls arms and sway bar link on the left side. The sound is now worse. I can just barely touch the wheel to turn in a parking space and it does it. I am at a loss. The stealership replaced most parts on the passenger front side earlier this year due to an accident where I slid into a curb.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default Probably need more info and a variety of possibles, but maybe wheel bearing?

Sound descriptions in the front are often hard to sort with arm chair diagnostics, but given you already identify control arms and a sway bar link replacement, consider a wheel bearing. More typically you hear those at speed and when turning, but there is also another scenario. If a wheel bearing bolt backs out, it hits the inside of the outer CV joint. Since work was done there from what you say, could be even more likely, especially if bearing was replaced. I had exactly this issue on my 2000 A6 4.2 that uses the same style of cartridge bearing. The dealer had replaced a bad bearing under warranty, and one of those bolts backed out years later and quickly made a horrific noise. Jacking the wheel up and spinning it will usually quickly reveal a loose retaining bolt. Trying to shake the wheel by bear hugging it may also reveal a chronically failing bearing internally (as opposed to a loose retaining bolt) that is bad enough to cause parking type noises like you mention.

Other thing to maybe check is the bushings where the sway bar bolts to the subframe. You need the belly pan off to see those clearly. Several owners have posted in the last year or so that theirs were shot. If it goes metal to metal, it will make definite noises. The bushings are molded to the bar, so you have to replace the whole bar as a unit. There is no known workaround or aftermarket solution if yours is afflicted with that.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 10-23-2014 at 11:51 AM.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thank you! I will have my friend help me that is so gifted at working on cars. Yes, on the passenger front side, the hub and wheel bearing were replaced. Also, the sway bar was replaced along with the air spring (Damper).
Old 10-23-2014, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

I got out the Audi Repair Bill from the accident, on the front passenger side, they supposedly replaced the following: Wishbone, Control arm, 2 Conn links, Stabilizer, Damper, 2 Rubber mounts, bearing, and wheel hub. My friend had said last month that the stabilizer bar looked terrible, all bent up like it was original.
Old 10-26-2014, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

My friend and I got together and figured out its the front passenger upper control arms that need replaced. He listened while I jacked the car up and its for sure that. We replaced the ones on the driver's side so this should be easy now that we know about the pinch bolt issue. Thanks!
Old 12-11-2014, 01:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnnyb2451
Hey, there is a metal sound coming from the front end of my 2004 A8 L. We replaced the upper and lower controls arms and sway bar link on the left side. The sound is now worse. I can just barely touch the wheel to turn in a parking space and it does it. I am at a loss. The stealership replaced most parts on the passenger front side earlier this year due to an accident where I slid into a curb.
I had the same issue. Dealer here couldn't figure it out. Had the brake pads and rotors changed (ceramic pads) and the noise went away. Good luck!
Old 12-12-2014, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

It turned out to be my upper controls arms on the passenger side. We replaced these last week. Thank you and glad you got it fixed.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Did you get the arms from the dealer or online?

Which brand did you use?

Thanks,

Louis
Old 12-16-2014, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

I used MOOG, had them imported from the United Kingdom from the rock auto parts website. Car seems to be okay now, I sure hope they last. Great price on them!