A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MMI - Interrmittent cut outs on radio etc.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MMI - Interrmittent cut outs on radio etc.

For the first time in over 5 years my MMI seems to be acting up. When the screen pops up sometimes it is blank. Other times it shows Audi MMI logo which I normally don't see. The audio seems to cut out (radio, CD's, sat radio, etc) for about 3 seconds every 15 seconds or so. Turning the car off and on does not seem to reset things or fix the problem. Any helpful advice ? 2007 S 8 with 63,000 miles. Original owner. McBucky
Old 12-09-2011, 12:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

I had similar issue.

Resetting the MMI worked for about an hour then starting tripping again.

So try resetting the MMI first.

In Aus, the phone system has a common fault that it continues to rest itself every 15sec and then try's to reconnect every couple of minutes causing the MMI to drop out all functions (remember all MMI functions run on the MOST system).

I had the dealer bridge the phone circuit and this fixed it, hence we worked out it was the phone system. Dealer simply changed the phone controller and fixed.

Cheers
Old 12-09-2011, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

You have to check for fault codes. Any of modules in the ring can cause that. Fiber optic ring itself too. You need VCDS in order to do that yourself.

To reset MMI you press simultaneously phone + main MMI button + front right one next to the main.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default Scan for codes + "Pepsi syndrome"?

1. Scan for codes. Most obvious thing to diagnose.

2. Code scan aside, behavior sounds like it is resetting at times (like the logo screen). Could be a variety of things, but one easy idea: Check for gunk, bits of thread, fiber, etc. around the MMI buttons on the console. Can cause resets if something gets stuck in the buttons. Soda and coffee spills and such often fatal, but threads, bits of dirt and physical stuff easily cleaned--like with a shirt collar stay and thread free soft rag around the button edges; no harsh solvents or fluids.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 12-09-2011 at 09:01 AM.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
bits of dirt and physical stuff easily cleaned--like with a shirt collar stay and thread free soft rag around the button edges; no harsh solvents or fluids.
+1 on the collar stay tip

Now I have a use for those ridiculously small ones that come in the Neiman kit.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by McBucky
For the first time in over 5 years my MMI seems to be acting up. When the screen pops up sometimes it is blank. Other times it shows Audi MMI logo which I normally don't see. The audio seems to cut out (radio, CD's, sat radio, etc) for about 3 seconds every 15 seconds or so. Turning the car off and on does not seem to reset things or fix the problem. Any helpful advice ? 2007 S 8 with 63,000 miles. Original owner. McBucky
I recently discovered a similar problem where my system would momentarily cut out from any source and then come back. I also discovered that a relay by the rear window subwoofer would "click" when this happened and i initially thought this to be the culprit but even after removing the sub fuse, the cut-outs continued. The AM/FM option also was unavailable but came back after performing a MMI reset. At this point I don't know if the problem has been fixed (I'll test drive tomorrow) but would still like any thoughts or recommendations in case the reset doesn't fix it.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine was doing exactly this yesterday, the reason was I braked and a small amount of tea went onto the MMi buttons, I mopped it up with tissues but after 10 seconds, the screen closed, the sound went off came back, switched from one source to another screen popped back up blank, then MMI reset showing the logo, this continued and turning it off it would just come back on again. I had to strip it out last night and flush it with alcohol and air duster.
Why they didn't design it with a silicone membrane or similar is beyond me.

Anyway, looking inside, this seems to be designed much like a computer keyboard, microswitches and a simple serial bus, so that if you spill a drink, some keys appear stuck and pressing a key may invoke a different one.

Maybe you have a problem with your buttons/PCB?
I wonder if there is a live section section in VCDS to see live button status?
Old 06-15-2012, 04:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure about button status, but address 07 can show this:

02244 - Button in Control Head is Stuck
Old 06-15-2012, 01:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by snapdragon
Mine was doing exactly this yesterday, the reason was I braked and a small amount of tea went onto the MMi buttons, I mopped it up with tissues but after 10 seconds, the screen closed, the sound went off came back, switched from one source to another screen popped back up blank, then MMI reset showing the logo, this continued and turning it off it would just come back on again. I had to strip it out last night and flush it with alcohol and air duster.
Why they didn't design it with a silicone membrane or similar is beyond me.

Anyway, looking inside, this seems to be designed much like a computer keyboard, microswitches and a simple serial bus, so that if you spill a drink, some keys appear stuck and pressing a key may invoke a different one.

Maybe you have a problem with your buttons/PCB?
I wonder if there is a live section section in VCDS to see live button status?
I performed the MMI reste last night and gladly drove to work but after 40min the cut-outs began again.. I never have drinks in the car (altough my girlfriend does) but why would it work for 40min before cutting out? Seems more like a short of some sort.
What and how did you strip "it" out?
Old 06-15-2012, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by UkiahA8L
I performed the MMI reste last night and gladly drove to work but after 40min the cut-outs began again.. I never have drinks in the car (altough my girlfriend does) but why would it work for 40min before cutting out? Seems more like a short of some sort.
What and how did you strip "it" out?
Pull out ashtray insert.
Remove screw that was hidden.
Remove ashtray housing.
Remove 2 screws that were hidden.
Where ashtray was, tug on a lower corner of aperture to pop wood up away from climate control, then other lower edge.
It should now be away from climate control which remains in situ.
Lift the centre console wood insert and buttons carefully and unhook from armrest end last.
(gear shifter remains in situ.
Turn centre console and unplug all connectors.
Carry into house or workshop.

Put on a soft towel.
Remove all the screws that hold in the MMI switches and park brake switch.
Start/Stop button module is held in with a brass rod, you need to drift it out with a thin screwdriver or needle type instrument.

The MMI controls should now lift out from above.

Once the module is out, you can clean it all up and clean in the car (mine was pretty ad underneath)

I sprayed isopropyl alcohol int0 my switches but was careful not to get any on the exposed switches in case t damaged the coating.

Good luck!

Last edited by snapdragon; 06-15-2012 at 11:54 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MMI - Interrmittent cut outs on radio etc.