A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MMI/RADIO NOT WORKING PLZ HELP

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 04:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have clean all of the buttons with a old toothbrush,alcohal,and a can of compressed air and there is no BT module under the seat all i see is a air vent and no dampness or water i don't have a VCDS scaner so i guess i will have to go to the dealer and get it done (do anyone know how much that can be) im going out of town on the weekend and i do not want to take a 4 hour dive with no sound
Old 05-20-2015, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by D-nice Lee
i have clean all of the buttons with a old toothbrush,alcohal,and a can of compressed air and there is no BT module under the seat all i see is a air vent and no dampness or water i don't have a VCDS scaner so i guess i will have to go to the dealer and get it done (do anyone know how much that can be) im going out of town on the weekend and i do not want to take a 4 hour dive with no sound
No music for 4+ hours? That would make for a very miserable trip.

I would drop it off at the Dealer ASAP.

At least you should get a loaner while they are working on your car. You won't be driving an A8 but you will have tunes.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Slowly and try something else - one at a time.

I don't know if you have the "LOOP", but here is what I would do if I need to troubleshoot this.
Check all the MMI MOST component fuses: Radio works, so it's good - CD changer in the glovebox - Satellite Radio in the trunk - Check the fuses in the trunk to make sure nothing burned. Navigation DVD in the trunk.

Pull out the optical connector for each of these components to see if there's red light on one side. If one of them doesn't have it, then the component before it is not working?

If it works before, it must be a very simple thing that's out of place. Since you don't have the VCDS, you didn't turn anything off or break it by mistake.

Read my posts about MMI.

Cheers and good luck,

Louis
Old 05-20-2015, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

If you can fix things yourself buy VCDS. It is absolutely necessary and it will be cheaper than that first visit to a dealer. For those four hours take some substitute source of music.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
I don't know if you have the "LOOP", but here is what I would do if I need to troubleshoot this.
Check all the MMI MOST component fuses: Radio works, so it's good - CD changer in the glovebox - Satellite Radio in the trunk - Check the fuses in the trunk to make sure nothing burned. Navigation DVD in the trunk.

Pull out the optical connector for each of these components to see if there's red light on one side. If one of them doesn't have it, then the component before it is not working?

If it works before, it must be a very simple thing that's out of place. Since you don't have the VCDS, you didn't turn anything off or break it by mistake.

Read my posts about MMI.

Cheers and good luck,

Louis
no i do not have a "LOOP" (what is it) and i will try all of this when i get off

hope and pray that this works
Old 05-20-2015, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

ok i will look for it this is my first Audi and i am new to this so how can i tell if is has BT i have tried to hook my phone up to it and when my mmi was working i was told i have to have the Audi phone in the car in order for it to work
Again, if it is a USA spec Audi A8, as of 2006 it always has bluetooth. If you want to otherwise confirm it for a USA car, if you look at the overhead panel and you do NOT see an OnStar button, then it is mid 2005 or later when the change was made and bluetooth is factory installed.

It does not take an Audi phone to connect, and I have never even owned an Audi branded mobile phone. Bluetooth really has nothing to do with a phone brand in general anyway. I (or family) have used mine with various older Nokia and Motorola phones, a Blackberry, and iPhone 4, 4S, 5, 5S and 6. Most problems with bluetooth seem to be either simple lack of familiarity with how to bond a phone to it the first time, or problems on the phone side. If you do not have the MMI manual--which is separate from the owner's (car) manual--that is your first step.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 05-20-2015 at 06:12 PM.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

no i do not have a "LOOP" (what is it) and i will try all of this when i get off

hope and pray that this works
That's exactly what you should not do. Bunch of online arbitrary advises will just waste your time and possibly lead you to damage something. Just like you didn't find Bluetooth module under the seat because it is not there. It is under the driver's carpet and not all that easily accessible. You will find and pair your phone with it in MMI once you fix it.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Again, if it is a USA spec Audi A8, as of 2006 it always has bluetooth. If you want to otherwise confirm it for a USA car, if you look at the overhead panel and you do NOT see an OnStar button, then it is mid 2005 or later when the change was made and bluetooth is factory installed.

I (or family) have used mine with various older Nokia and Motorola phones, a Blackberry, and iPhone 4, 4S, 5, 5S and 6.

i don't have an OnStar button in my car so i must not have BT in it if i can get my MMI working again i will like to install a AUX jack so i can use my samsung note3 phone
Old 05-21-2015, 12:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

i don't have an OnStar button in my car so i must not have BT in it if i can get my MMI working again i will like to install a AUX jack so i can use my samsung note3 phone
It is just opposite. Not having OnStar means having Bluetooth. So you have Bluetooth. To use your phone you just need to pair with it.

If you want to listen to the music from your phone you need to install AMI and update your MMI software. You may need to update it in order to use newer phone too.
Old 05-21-2015, 12:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mishar
It is just opposite. Not having OnStar means having Bluetooth. So you have Bluetooth. To use your phone you just need to pair with it.

If you want to listen to the music from your phone you need to install AMI and update your MMI software. You may need to update it in order to use newer phone too.
Ok i will but i have to get it working first to do all of this like i said before i don't have a scan tool or know anyone with one i hate to do it but i have one more thing to try when i get off work if not im going to the dealer

Quick Reply: MMI/RADIO NOT WORKING PLZ HELP