Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A8 / S8 > A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010

Welcome to AudiWorld Forums!
Welcome to AudiWorld.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the AudiWorld Forums community today!


Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-15-2013, 02:40 PM   #1
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 269770
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 29
Default MMI update!!

I installed my MMI control board and now it at least does something! However it only powers on for like 5seconds and say satellite radio on MMI screen and then powers back down. I am going to run scan in morning but this doesn't sound like component protection does it?
Smitty5534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 03:27 PM   #2
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 261623
 
viper04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 162
Default component protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty5534 View Post
I installed my MMI control board and now it at least does something! However it only powers on for like 5seconds and say satellite radio on MMI screen and then powers back down. I am going to run scan in morning but this doesn't sound like component protection does it?
Jeremy
That does'nt sound like "component protection" you may have something else going on. Do the scan and post it up. When i did the head unit every thing works but I had no sound and the speaker icon had a line though it. Nav/phone had sound but no sound from CD/radio.
__________________
viper04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 03:30 PM   #3
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 195381
 
mishar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 4,606
Default

No. Component Protection on MMI Control Head just disables sound, except phone. This might be software version issue. If it is, update should clear it.
mishar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:44 PM   #4
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 269770
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 29
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishar View Post
No. Component Protection on MMI Control Head just disables sound, except phone. This might be software version issue. If it is, update should clear it.

Thanks guys!! How exactly do you go about updating software? I'm sure it's through vagcom but mine is an older version vagcom will it still work? Thanks in advance
Smitty5534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:28 PM   #5
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 61809
 
ltooz_a6_a8_q7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Fremont, CA
Posts: 2,019
Default Try resetting the MMI about 2-3 times-CP may go away

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper04 View Post
Jeremy
That does'nt sound like "component protection" you may have something else going on. Do the scan and post it up. When i did the head unit every thing works but I had no sound and the speaker icon had a line though it. Nav/phone had sound but no sound from CD/radio.
I had the same problem after I installed the Navigation on the Q7, just reset the MMI 2 or 3 times and I got my sound back on.

Make sure you don't have any extra stuff selected on the gateway from the x-car.

Cheers,

Louis
__________________

96 A6 Green Wagon 2.8L Quattro (8/03)
08 Q7 3.6 Premium Silver/Black (4/08)
06 A8L Quartz Grey/Black (3/13)
04 Cabriolet 3.0 CVT Red/Black (5/11-Sister)
98 A8 Melange 4.2 Quattro (7/04-5/11)
http://www.dognmonkey.com/audi

Last edited by ltooz_a6_a8_q7; 11-15-2013 at 07:31 PM.
ltooz_a6_a8_q7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:01 PM   #6
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 195381
 
mishar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 4,606
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty5534 View Post
Thanks guys!! How exactly do you go about updating software? I'm sure it's through vagcom but mine is an older version vagcom will it still work? Thanks in advance
To update MMI software you need working CD changer and Update CD's. Buy them from a dealer. Part number: 4F0 998 961

In the mean time search for MMI update here. There are many treads.
mishar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 11:45 AM   #7
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 269770
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 29
Default

Ok I ran scan and on the optical bus and everything says ok for electrical and optical thats great. Now the when you power the MMI on the logo comes up and it says please wait and says satelite radio at the top. Sometimes it just shuts offs and all the buttons on the control light up red and then turns off. Other times it will say satelitle radio not installed please see Audi dealership. Im guessing this is software like you said? I called audi and they said they would have to order update disks it it would be three days.... Any input or other thoughts? thanks
Smitty5534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 04:35 PM   #8
Senior Member
Account #: 26081
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 5,718
Default Only other thought are the physical MMI keys

If something is stuck in them like a rag thread, piece of grit, etc, the screen will do a repeated turn on turn off dance after starting to come alive, and not settle down. If anything like that is going on, check around all keys for any junk, maybe especially the SAT one since the screen is going there right away. Doesn't sound quite like that is going on w/ yours, but just in case.
__________________
Current #1: '06 D3 A8L W12 brilliant black w/ amaretto; 4 seat setup, CPO; modestly lowered, H&R 20mm rear and 12mm front DRs with 275/35 on OEM polished + forged 20's; S8 sway bars (see: rear bar and gen'l D3 bar info and front bar); tweaked 385mm front factory brake mod and matching rear brake mod; matching C6 A6 back headrests (better rear view: headrest tweak); owner installed AMI retrofit with part number details here.
Current #2: 2013 Q5 2.0T hybrid; Scuba blue w/ chestnut sport interior; Euro delivery 7/2013 (pictured at Ingolstadt)
Prior (each modded): 2000 C5 A6 4.2 & '96 C4 A6 2.8Q, both still w/ family; '85 C3 5000S 5 sp FWD; '73 C1 100LS

helpful cross reference to a C6 post with MMI and other TSB's that also cover D3 A8's.


Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 11-16-2013 at 06:21 PM.
MP4.2+6.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:33 PM   #9
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 269770
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 29
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0 View Post
If something is stuck in them like a rag thread, piece of grit, etc, the screen will do a repeated turn on turn off dance after starting to come alive, and not settle down. If anything like that is going on, check around all keys for any junk, maybe especially the SAT one since the screen is going there right away. Doesn't sound quite like that is going on w/ yours, but just in case.
Mishar I called audi today and have them the part number. They said that they can't tell if it's for the mmi all it says in their computer is it's a repair kit and it runs 39.99. They said they have a navigation update kit for 2013-14 that runs 249,00. I ordered in the 39.99 kit bc they said it would take two days to get it. Does 39.99 sound right? Thanks
Smitty5534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 03:06 PM   #10
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 195381
 
mishar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 4,606
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty5534 View Post
Mishar I called audi today and have them the part number. They said that they can't tell if it's for the mmi all it says in their computer is it's a repair kit and it runs 39.99. They said they have a navigation update kit for 2013-14 that runs 249,00. I ordered in the 39.99 kit bc they said it would take two days to get it. Does 39.99 sound right? Thanks
Where are you? MMI software is different for Europe and North America.
mishar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld
Audi R8




Paid Advertisement
 
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:04 AM.


Copyright 2014 AudiWorld.com Audi Enthusiast Community