A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorized rear blind

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 01:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motorized rear blind

My motorized rear blind was damaged by a local detailer yesterday and im looking for some info. They clearly tried to manually pull the rear blind up and close it like the manually operated side blinds, and the shade itself broke of from the motorized arms. I can see the broken platic "taps" that would connect to the arms. The detailer acknowledged the damaged and will try to fix it himself. I did some research on replacing the shade but it seems to involve taking out the rear seats and hat shelf which makes me worried about the detailer trying to fix it.

Ideally, I would just like to find a way to attach the current shade to the arms as the motor works just fine. Any ideas?

Kenneth
Old 06-15-2011, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

This isn't something they should fix unless they know how to do it. They should be liable to pay for the fix from an authorized repair facility. Sorry this isn't the answer you were looking for but this is what you should make them do.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with Brozee, and it ain't gonna be cheap.

Someone asked about a broken one awhile back and it was around $600 IIRC just for the unit.
It's doesn't come as any separate parts. I would expect ~$1,000 at Audi all in.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

New blind is $600. Parts are not available. In order to replace it they have to remove rear seat, a bunch of pillar covers and all trunk liners. That could be easily 6-8 hours, so it is close to $1500. Take some money from them and wait. I am in a process of manufacturing those small parts that breaks. It will be aluminum instead of plastic. Wont brake again. It will be easy to attach them. They will be way way cheaper than replacing blind and you won't risk another "handy" attack to your car. You wouldn't be only one waiting and it won't be long. Promise.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Back when I had my 2004 A8L 4.2 I had the blind replaced a the dealer. One of the moving arms that brings the top frame of the blind up broke a the connecting point.

My SA mentioned at the time that had it not been covered by CPO warranty, it would have cost me well over a grand.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default Unfortunately yes, a royal pain to remove...

In getting my windows tinted, I decided to get it 100% right,so disassembled the rear trim so they could get 100% access to the glass. Notably, that area below the hat shelf you can see from outside where tinters may either cut it short or try to stuff it down in there.

Net, it wasn't easy, maybe more so w/ the four seater set up. Rear seats came out in full first to get at the hat shelf. I'm not remembering now if the C pillar trim had to come out first too; Bentley covers it. Ultimately the hat shelf has the window blinds mounted from underneath. I looked at them carefully for lubrication and such since I had the assembly out of the car. A very self contained assembly, so probably the only real choice is replacement with a new or used unit. Has to be trim matched too, at least in my car.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Don't let them touch it!

There's only 2 People that would do it with great care and that's you and the Dealership Tech. If you are a DIYer then just follow Bentley as I have removed this shelf for Sound System Mod, but you have to Follow Directions as to not damage anything.

Net, get an estimate on parts and labor then pass it on to the Detailer. They should have Liability Insurance for such cases as yours. Get the Estimate from the Dealership then order the part from Audiusaparts.com and have the Dealership Install it and keep the extra for your troubles or install it yourself plus take a Vacaction with the savings. My 2cents and laters,
Old 06-15-2011, 08:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mishar
New blind is $600. Parts are not available. In order to replace it they have to remove rear seat, a bunch of pillar covers and all trunk liners. That could be easily 6-8 hours, so it is close to $1500. Take some money from them and wait. I am in a process of manufacturing those small parts that breaks. It will be aluminum instead of plastic. Wont brake again. It will be easy to attach them. They will be way way cheaper than replacing blind and you won't risk another "handy" attack to your car. You wouldn't be only one waiting and it won't be long. Promise.
I like what I'm reading here. I don't mind having the current one mended if possible. Keep me posted please. Your link in the beginning of the reply doesn't seem to work though

Everyone else, thanks for the expected answers I'll call the dealership tomorrow for an estimate.

Last edited by UkiahA8L; 06-15-2011 at 08:40 PM.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mishar
Sounds like the bit I need for fix my rear blind; please let me know when you are ready to start selling them.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Another request for the tabs

Originally Posted by kabre
Sounds like the bit I need for fix my rear blind; please let me know when you are ready to start selling them.
Hello,
I am another who would like to purchase the new tabs from you - let us know when you get them done.

07 A8L - new to me.

Quick Reply: Motorized rear blind