A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My '09 A8 L

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My '09 A8 L

Hello all, I'd like to share, the arrival my new-to-me 2009 A8 L. After much lurking around here, searching/researching, etc I finally pulled the trigger on a 1-owner D3 (Phantom Black Pearle, 19in wheels, cold weather package) weeks ago.

Name:  Sioux%20falls%20to%20Brooklyn2_zpsllgf5asg.png
Views: 99
Size:  82.2 KB

With the car being in Sioux Falls SD, I couldn't pass up on the road trip back, so I purchased a 1-way ticket and braced myself. 1,370+ miles and 20+ hours later (with a layover in Chicago), I arrived home last night with my D3. Love this car!! Best purchase ever!! I have driven the A4/A6/A7 - none comes even close!

Some obligatory (dealer) pics below;I will post some pics later (too cold out to snap pics).

Name:  005_zps0xzblzqp.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  85.0 KB

Name:  001_zpstokc5q70.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  65.3 KB

First mod was to unlock navigation DVD drive to update maps/database to 2014/15. Also did a couple minor tweaks (enabled hidden menu, battery display); a couple more to follow.

The long drive home allowed me get a feel of the A8 (responsiveness, handling,etc). It is no S8 - but definitely not a 'dog' either. The trip was mostly uneventful except for a few low points: hit a curb/rock/etc somewhere on I-290/Chicago suburbs. I drove for the next 13 hours only to find a bubble this evening on the front driver side Pirelli P6 Four Seasons! (Thank goodness for full-sized spare - already swapped it out/will order a replacement). This would have resulted in a bent/damaged rim if it were after-market/alloy.

Name:  8f587d23-9e29-4d23-a30f-089952efbda8_zpswhtzcmpg.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  111.0 KB

Then there was the d-bag Indiana state trooper (a BIG %*#@ YOU to you!!!) who thought it appropriate to cite me for not changing lanes (even though it was obviously unsafe to do so, given the traffic. Oh well...)

All-in-all, glad to have my A8. Other than a leaky windshield washer tank and a trunk lid that seems to have a mind of its own (doesn't open sometimes), car is rock solid.

Many thanks to all forum members for your kind/knowledgeable tips/advice. I plan to contribute in same manner.
Old 02-16-2015, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default Welcome!

Sounds and looks good. As a late year build I expect you know that you have all the final parts improvements and the facelift tweaks.
Old 02-16-2015, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Welcome. A nice "break-in" trip. Sorry about the tire. Here in the midwest, the roads will eat them up. Here's mine last May less than a month after removing my Winter tires on cheap, 17" alloy wheels. Thanks to this, I had to buy four new tires. What the heck, I speed tested the new ones at Bonneville five weeks later.

TOp photo is the full-size spare being mounted in the wrong rotational direction. I had to get home somehow! Same basic tire, by the way!
Attached Images    
Old 02-16-2015, 08:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Sounds and looks good. As a late year build I expect you know that you have all the final parts improvements and the facelift tweaks.
Most definitely; it was either a MY2009 or 2010. Luckily this popped up at the right time, with all the options I wanted.

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
Welcome. A nice "break-in" trip. Sorry about the tire. Here in the midwest, the roads will eat them up. Here's mine last May less than a month after removing my Winter tires on cheap, 17" alloy wheels. Thanks to this, I had to buy four new tires. What the heck, I speed tested the new ones at Bonneville five weeks later.

TOp photo is the full-size spare being mounted in the wrong rotational direction. I had to get home somehow! Same basic tire, by the way!
Here in NYC, navigating the maze of potholes is more like running an obstacle course; luckily no mishaps yet.

I'll start looking at Tirerack / Discount TireDirect for a nice summer setup.
Old 02-16-2015, 08:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

I'd put the Summer tires on those large OEM rims and get smaller rims for Winter Tires. My Pilot Sport A/S's are my Summer tires with a high speed rating and the 17" junk alloys have Michelin Xice Winter tires.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Welcome and very nice find. I'm partial to black.

Do a search on the trunk issue because it has been discussed here a few times. You should have the updated motor but either your trunk hinges are slightly bent, weak motor, or need to lube your hinges or a combination of all. let us know if you need further help with the trunk.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by TSHong
Welcome and very nice find. I'm partial to black.

Do a search on the trunk issue because it has been discussed here a few times. You should have the updated motor but either your trunk hinges are slightly bent, weak motor, or need to lube your hinges or a combination of all. let us know if you need further help with the trunk.
Thanks TShong. I took a look this morning....it opened each time I hit the switch (the right side/piston raises first then the left side follows, not simultaneously). I will try lube to see if it helps.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice find! Keeping the badges on the trunk or cleaning that up? The lines of this car beg to be distraction-free IMHO.
Also partial to Phantom Black. It is the fastest color.........
Old 02-17-2015, 07:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

I am tempted to de-badge it since my Avant is also badge-less (makes for a cleaner trunk). Btw, I couldn't agree more - car looks stunning in Black (when it rolls of the carwash, that is... and have been getting compliments the past couple days ). I have always had Brilliant Black or Phantom Black Pearle.

Name:  20150128_095936_zpswke6imib.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  80.1 KB

Last edited by ebi718; 02-17-2015 at 07:46 PM.
Old 02-18-2015, 03:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Why did you get rid of the A7 if you don't mind me asking?

Quick Reply: My '09 A8 L