A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My '09 A8 L

Old 02-18-2015, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats!!!
The gar looks great!
Enjoy it!
Old 02-18-2015, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Trunk Sousa like hinge issue

Originally Posted by Asyxx3P0
Thanks TShong. I took a look this morning....it opened each time I hit the switch (the right side/piston raises first then the left side follows, not simultaneously). I will try lube to see if it helps.
Mine opens evenly. Check the cheap strut also. It is opens unevenly there is a problem.
Old 02-18-2015, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default +1

2009 will have all the motor and hinge updates.

As mentioned, lube all hinge points is the no brainer.

Then check/replace the little air shock tubes if necessary. Once you lube it, if trunk lid feels sort of "limp" to manual (hand) pressure applied to close the lid, they are likely both worn. If it resists your closing pressure to some extent then they are probably in working order.
Old 02-18-2015, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by halik
Why did you get rid of the A7 if you don't mind me asking?
When I eventually found my C6.5 A6 Avant, it made no practical sen$e to keep the A7 (tough choice though!)

Originally Posted by Vicl
Congrats!!!
The gar looks great!
Enjoy it!
Thanks
Originally Posted by Panelhead
Mine opens evenly. Check the cheap strut also. It is opens unevenly there is a problem.
Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
2009 will have all the motor and hinge updates.

As mentioned, lube all hinge points is the no brainer.

Then check/replace the little air shock tubes if necessary. Once you lube it, if trunk lid feels sort of "limp" to manual (hand) pressure applied to close the lid, they are likely both worn. If it resists your closing pressure to some extent then they are probably in working order.
While searching, I just found out that there is indeed a TSB (# 2019840\3) that acknowledges this specific issue and recommends installing Adjustable buffers to replace the plain bump stops (2 in number... part # is 8H0 827 249 A). These are actually under $8 each. This is one option I will be considering this weekend, after eliminating lubrication issues. I have attached PDFs from the TSB for anyone interested.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Asyxx3P0
While searching, I just found out that there is indeed a TSB (# 2019840\3) that acknowledges this specific issue and recommends installing Adjustable buffers to replace the plain bump stops (2 in number... part # is 8H0 827 249 A). These are actually under $8 each. This is one option
Are you sure that you don't already have those?
Old 02-19-2015, 03:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Congrats and welcome!

Very nice looking in that color.
I have a brand new P6 sitting at my local Audi dealer if you want one we can work out a deal. I'm in Westchester, NY.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default FWIW, earlier poster may be getting ahead of himself...

I would first lube hinges AND check the little struts.

I know about the TSB and have done it. Actually having done it, you would find the part has been superseded again--back to the solid rubber bumper stop without the little spring thing. I talked to Romney at audiusaparts who found the TSB part # superseded. Falls into one of those "seems like a good idea at the time/nevermind" ones.

And Misha to your point, some D3's have them anyway. You look for the little spring loaded plastic thing sticking out of the larger base in the lid corners where the stops are. Similar generic look to a plastic pin sticking out like many car door conventional (aka cheap) mechanical switches for the overhead interior lights. But in some cases, they have been "deactivated" in the trunk lid You can stick a Phillips into the center pin, push in and rotate them to disable. Similarly you can enable them by just reversing with a Phillips and getting them to pop out. Its function is to just lift lid a tiny bit so motor knows to engage. I currently have them engage on mine from pre motor change; it leads to a crisp pop on lid and then motor takes over.
Old 02-19-2015, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mishar
Are you sure that you don't already have those?
I checked. ..it's the old bump stopper, not the [fix] referenced in the document. Btw MP4.2, I see the fix/updated stopper didn't address issue until you replaced the trunk motor.

Last edited by ebi718; 02-19-2015 at 06:49 PM.
Old 02-19-2015, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by RobertV
Very nice looking in that color.
I have a brand new P6 sitting at my local Audi dealer if you want one we can work out a deal. I'm in Westchester, NY.
Thanks Robertv; I wish this was earlier; I ordered from TireRack already; shipped to my local installer.
Old 02-19-2015, 06:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

That is in great shape!!! Enjoy the new car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My '09 A8 L