A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My route and observation on our trunk issues.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 09:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by richard-tx
I don't have helper springs and the trunk works great. Trunk motor is a year old and I replaced the air shocks/springs last week.
I never though seriously about using the "helper springs." I know it has helped some people so each their own.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts

Don't recall exact reference to helper springs. But if folks mean the replacement for the stops that has a spring loaded push pin (or even if not), I tried those. The part was introduced to replace the adjustable rubber stops on each trunk lid corner. But then it superseded again back to to the std. stops from what audiusaparts told me when I ordered them.

I tried them anyway, but that parts back and forth probably reflects my experience. They do give some oomph to that initial "pop" of the trunk when you go to open it, but nothing much after that. Some have reported that issue though of trunk lid popping but only goes up if you give it a little nudge; logically that is more a sign of a clutch issue w/ motor but I played w/ them anyway. Over time, the combo of the newer metal body motor w/ more torque, the air struts, and the latch itself are what kept mine saluting smartly. Net, the factory spring loaded push pins didn't definitively do much on mine long-term on my way to the stronger motor as the last of the repairs I did; air struts came a step earlier and did help incrementally as TSHong started with in thread.

As a post script, I also replaced hood air struts along the way. Having had variously Toyota Sienna and Chrysler T&C rear lids and then Audi hoods come down on my head either out of thin (and cold) air like the Sienna or with the slightest wind gust (old Audis), preemptive strike was in order once I got the hang of the trunk ones. By 8-10 years old, in each case the struts were not up to original snuff. Also found the same just by simple side by side comparo of pushing new vs old one in by hand with one end on solid surface.
Old 09-23-2016, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I forgot about those pop up heplers. Those were installed on both my 05 and 09 before I purchased my vehicles.

What I though people were referring to was Louis's spring contraption used on the left side of the trunk hinge.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:14 AM
TFT
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Which is the left side of the car? The drivers side?

I screwed up, I took the lifts out of the sleeves without verifying which was which. The part numbers on the struts do not match the part numbers on the protective sleeves. It took me a while searching on the internet to figure out which is which.

Last edited by TFT; 10-17-2016 at 08:18 AM.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

You are correct. Left is drivers side.
Old 10-17-2016, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by the_duke
You are correct. Left is drivers side.
Left is Port / right Starboard
Old 10-19-2016, 04:35 PM
TFT
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got my S8 back from Audi and finally changed out the trunk struts. There were part numbers on the original struts so I could match them up and make sure I was installing them in the correct location.
The trunk would not open without assistance prior to installation of new struts.
Now, it opens easily on its own.
The new struts seems to have solved the problem.
Old 10-19-2016, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I liked discovering that trunk can be closed from drivers seat by holding up on switch. Now if I could get it to close from the remote?
Old 10-19-2016, 07:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Garycw
I liked discovering that trunk can be closed from drivers seat by holding up on switch. Now if I could get it to close from the remote?
From your Sig pic, you have a D4. That feature is not available to us without a mod. I used a Kefatec Module with my D3 so I can use the trunk button on the drivers door or my remote. It's a necessity for me since I'm in a wheelchair and cant reach the trunk button when its open.

https://www.kufatec.us/shop/en/trunk...ule-audi-a8-4h
Old 10-19-2016, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by TFT
I got my S8 back from Audi and finally changed out the trunk struts. There were part numbers on the original struts so I could match them up and make sure I was installing them in the correct location.
The trunk would not open without assistance prior to installation of new struts.
Now, it opens easily on its own.
The new struts seems to have solved the problem.
Glad to hear. Mine has been working since so let's see how long it last.

Quick Reply: My route and observation on our trunk issues.