A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NAIAS photos

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts
Default NAIAS photos

Audi: Edge Through Technology....

Some photos from opening day yesterday. Unlike the AW photos from media preview week as well as the "Charity Gala", my photos will give you an idea of the crowds at this show. It was the busiest opening day since 2006 with 110,500 paid admissions.

The lone D4 A8L with the 3.0 TDI Diesel that priced out at $138,425.00 with every option in the book did not impress me. The B&O dashboard tweeters seemed to stick up slightly, is that normal?

The R8 there impressed me. Prices are increasing despite the Euro falling.

The new Ford GT was beautiful. They also had an original as well as a ten year old one on display.

Tesla sales people were really trying to hard sell. "You'll pay zero $ because it is under warranty" LOL!

I apologize for the order the photos are in. Just wanted to download them.

2015 NAIAS (North American International Auto Show-Detroit) by Mister Bally | Audiworld

Last edited by Mister Bally; 01-18-2015 at 04:54 PM.
Old 01-18-2015, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still cannot understand why Porsche insists on writing novels in badging on the asses of their newer cars. Was "Carrera" or "Turbo" or "Turbo S" or "GT3" not enough? If you don't know it's a 911, you don't deserve to know...
Old 01-18-2015, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Default The B&O dashboard tweeters seemed to stick up slightly, is that normal?

Not for the D3, my B&O tweeters are completely flush with the dashboard.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts
Default Didn't really see it in pics, but did you stop at new Q7?

Was it there? Q7 isn't really for direct consumption on this board, but I have been watching the stories realizing it is probably the vanguard for a bunch of stuff to come on the D5--beyond the cleaning up of the way too porky and inefficiently packaged body that doesn't matter for D series stuff much. Merging of hybrid and TDI along with the yet newer 3.0TDI, maybe electric drive Quattro on the remote wheels further downstream, newest electronics, etc. Who knows, maybe they will realize finally to take the open North America market for a high end performance TDI that the other German iron has left open too. Some of the blurbs about Q7 have me thinking they might try that w TDI plug in hybrid though instead of the great V8 TDI's.

D5 getting close enough in that I have more curiosity--especially with my D4 conclusion that the now post facelift (2015 forward) are worthwhile steps up from pre-facelift. Means yet more wait time for the post facelift ones to go used at a decent price give up. ... W12's walk off a cliff price wise especially fast as I can already see just two years old. And I can see the pattern playing out again where used D4 prices are heading south generally, and lots showing up. Might be the convergence to a used higher end D4 ends up on top of a near D5 launch date for me, plus still quite happy big picture humming along in the W12. Leads to hunch once again that I may sit it out all the way to D5, then a year of new model teething there too. Meanwhile the R8...

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 01-18-2015 at 09:03 PM.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Quasi OT on R8:

Since you mention it. Plus along with the A8/S8, the sister halo car. Several of us old timers here seem to have a bit of an eye out for it, plus it is one of the last bastions of both the tweaked 4.2 and the V10.

Comparing notes, mine are: The R8 is in its last year or so of (long) current run now. I think new one rolls out before D5. My guess is that known impending change--plus a bunch of competitive landscape changes will free up more: Tesla D fad sales, new GT and NSX buzz coming on line, even the Vette for some. Seems like R8 4.2 price a few years or more old is softening a bit. That's what I'm seeing paging through stuff like Autotrader. V10's not so much. Sometimes though there are odd spec ones (like base interior but ceramic brakes) that also seem soft on price. I can't see much change in the R8 over the years--specs, options, etc, other than the lighting clean up in 2014+, LED headlights std, and the nicer diamond upholstery now getting more common, a la nicer new A8's, S8's, etc. It's a drivers car of course, so the creature stuff was more static. Makes older ones of possible interest to me, especially w/ so many at low miles. I've already concluded if I ever did it, it's either 6 speed, or if flappy only 2014 forward (S Tronic). That dichotomy makes for an odd search! Older design R Tronic floppies now pretty obviously craptronic for everyday feel and use for me. I notice a lot of those older flappy ones too that seem to be kind of languishing; guessing the real enthusiasts know what's what now.

I saw in your pics a few lighter interior shots. I notice those too, plus a very few Audi Exclusive R8 interiors. 90% of them have black interiors it seems, often black on black. Dull, even if tweaked with stitching contrast. I'm watching for the unique appearance ones; realizing I smile with that w/ the W12. A lot of pre 2014 R Tronics though have some unusual interiors that lose me as soon as I see the tranny and year in the listing, or the first inside shot of the console. A low miles, simple 4.2 six speed with an Exclusive interior (like some of the red black mixes, or maybe the saddle ones) might be compelling enough for me. Or, yes, if it goes all the way to these last few years, the diamond upholstery ones like in your pic, esp. with more than just black look.

Remains a very unique car, and the stick is about to get buried with the next gen. Only live once...

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 01-18-2015 at 08:48 PM.
Old 01-19-2015, 04:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd consider a lightly used D4.2 S8 at some point in the future.
Not as classy as the D3, and I didn't mind the styling of the D4.1, but the addition of the heads up display with infrared animal warning would convince me.
Moose avoidance is a want/need here.
If the D5 is a major step forward it's probably a wait for that instead.

I've also been tempted by the 42 R8, even though the Porsche 981 S is dynamically better but lacking in grunt.
If I decide to go in that direction it would be for the next version (43?), with it's V10 indirectly redesigned to solve the FSI intake valve carbon buildup problem (primarily emissions) by adding a secondary set of port injectors, similar to a version of the 3rd generation VAG EA888 engine.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

There was a Q7 and a Q5. IIRC, they were E-Tron or hybrid vehicles. I have no interest in electrics or the Q SUV's so I did not even glance at them. Current Audi interests are the A8/S8, A5/S5, S7/RS7, TT and of course the R8.

As the overpriced A8L at the show (with slow 0-60 times) really turned me off, I hope to get a used R8 next. Ballykid found a black w/black interior V10 w/stick for 99k from a private owner, there is hope. Much as a V8 would still be fine, my son reminds me if I get a V8... "You'll always wonder" what the V10 performance is. Thus, I have to get a V10. Horsepower does not matter but I would like LED parking lights up front and the updated taillights in the rear. So, an early V10 may not be in the cards but on that car, I'd consider trying to retrofit newer year light assemblies. I'm sure we are talking $5k in parts. Ouch!

There is a 2010 silver with black interior 2010 at a independent exotic dealer with a 110k asking price. Tempting. But, now that I'm an empty nester with two kids in college so I better stick to keeping my 2001 Beetle Turbo alive for now.And maybe borrowing Ballykid's TT when he's home for breaks.

I also have to keep my daughter's Jeep in good running shape. Her A/C Compressor is bad. Good thing that WABCO actually remanufactures these compressors for Fiat-Chrysler (even though they are Denso compressors) since I have an inside angle with the dreaded Westinghouse Air Brake COmpany. Plus, she does not need A/C until May.

Last edited by Mister Bally; 01-20-2015 at 06:50 PM.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default R8 Competition

Just realized there was an R8 Competition at the NAIAS from a post on r8talk. Looked at your pic's and I see it there--the red one with the permanent rear spoiler (not the pop up normal one).

I saw one at the local dealer today by sheer chance. Didn't even know what it was (I thought it was basically a Plus) until I looked it up and then remembered a prior blurb on it. Already sold. 570 ponies; all are S-Tronic Only 60 to come into US. The one I saw today was a metallic black ext. w/ the now normal higher line diamond black interior. Factory sticker was an astronomical $210K!! I managed to sit in it; sales manager who delivered my CPO W12 was sitting right next to it at his desk. That ride will never happen for me, but I had a chance to see it right next to a pre-facelift V10--both coupes. Ignoring the special visible tweaks, I liked the updated look more. Pretty subtle though in general if you didn't know where to look. The 2015 4.0T D4 20 feet away looked clean and the mid life refresh did help, but somehow no surprise just so plain jane (especially in basic white ext. w/ black interior) after the two R8's. I see new R8 announce is expected at the Geneva show in early March. See if existing R8 prices start to move more as that hits the press directly.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 01-23-2015 at 11:59 PM.
Old 01-24-2015, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Just realized there was an R8 Competition at the NAIAS from a post on r8talk. Looked at your pic's and I see it there--the red one with the permanent rear spoiler (not the pop up normal one).

I saw one at the local dealer today by sheer chance. Didn't even know what it was (I thought it was basically a Plus) until I looked it up and then remembered a prior blurb on it. Already sold. 570 ponies; all are S-Tronic Only 60 to come into US. The one I saw today was a metallic black ext. w/ the now normal higher line diamond black interior. Factory sticker was an astronomical $210K!! I managed to sit in it; sales manager who delivered my CPO W12 was sitting right next to it at his desk. That ride will never happen for me, but I had a chance to see it right next to a pre-facelift V10--both coupes. Ignoring the special visible tweaks, I liked the updated look more. Pretty subtle though in general if you didn't know where to look. The 2015 4.0T D4 20 feet away looked clean and the mid life refresh did help, but somehow no surprise just so plain jane (especially in basic white ext. w/ black interior) after the two R8's. I see new R8 announce is expected at the Geneva show in early March. See if existing R8 prices start to move more as that hits the press directly.
Take a look at the placard for the R8 Competition in my NAIAS photos. It can be enlarged so you can see the *Value Pricing* of that machine. I don't understand whay they charge the $1,200.00 "Audi Exclusive Order Fee" when the whole car is built at the Quattro GmbH facility which is part of the Audi Exclusive" division.

As far as owning one, never say never. It could happen in less than ten years for either of us. We're not that old you know...

Heck, I saw a nice R8 GT in Scottsdale a couple of months ago at a Penske mega-dealership complex. Sweet car, Under 10,000 miles for $164,900.00. Too bad it wasn't a stick but I don't think the limited run of GT's were offered that way. Maybe when the next gen is out for a few years these will go for $80K. "Value Pricing"
Attached Images      
Old 01-24-2015, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

interesting conversation. i too was thinking the older R8 manual or 2014 newer with the flappy paddles. one worry i have though is the car is so unique and stands out on the road, and i don't really care for that, but the R8 is such a gorgeous vehicle. down in florida they are bountiful with low miles and reasonable prices....

my neighbor picked up a 991 TTS a few months ago. a ride in that going from 0-60 in about 2.6 seconds has me seriously looking at porsche in a way i never did before. the one selling point on that v. the r8 is it actually does have rear seats that the kiddos could sit in for a few more years.

we picked up a Q7 TDI about a year ago, and was looking forward to the new one, but ughhhhh. what a disappointment on the exterior. with my recent interest in the 991, my wife is now looking at the cayenne....which has me horrified.

Quick Reply: NAIAS photos