A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NAIAS photos

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default I can't believe the spoiler on the R8...

What's up with the cheap looking spoiler? It's ok for a fast car without a spoiler... Someone just went to PepBoys and installed it for the show I guess.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 01-24-2015, 07:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zedbyers
interesting conversation. i too was thinking the older R8 manual or 2014 newer with the flappy paddles. one worry i have though is the car is so unique and stands out on the road, and i don't really care for that, but the R8 is such a gorgeous vehicle. down in florida they are bountiful with low miles and reasonable prices....

my neighbor picked up a 991 TTS a few months ago. a ride in that going from 0-60 in about 2.6 seconds has me seriously looking at porsche in a way i never did before. the one selling point on that v. the r8 is it actually does have rear seats that the kiddos could sit in for a few more years.

we picked up a Q7 TDI about a year ago, and was looking forward to the new one, but ughhhhh. what a disappointment on the exterior. with my recent interest in the 991, my wife is now looking at the cayenne....which has me horrified.
Speaking from the point of view of a child from the 80s that rode in my Father's 911 rear seats, I'd say "do it" if you are loving Porsche--there's a reason I'm a car nut and that is half of it. Your kids won't forget the experience.

Cayenne/Macan/SUV not so much, although the Cayenne S I drove in 2008 was impressive. I'd highly recommend that you look at the "last of the air cooled" Porsche 993 Carrera 4S or Turbo if you have 991 scratch, but that's just my $.02. You get the smell, sound, and '911-ness' of old with working A/C, high performance, and badass looks. And no matter how big 911s have gotten I have to think that they are kid seats--your kids will remember the awesome heater levers, Porsche smell and click of the door opening more than the 0-60 time...

Last edited by SaltyIrishman; 01-24-2015 at 07:14 PM.
Old 01-25-2015, 02:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SaltyIrishman
Speaking from the point of view of a child from the 80s that rode in my Father's 911 rear seats, I'd say "do it" if you are loving Porsche--there's a reason I'm a car nut and that is half of it. Your kids won't forget the experience.

your kids will remember the awesome heater levers, Porsche smell and click of the door opening more than the 0-60 time...
good points. you just brought back memories for me of my first experiences with a vw product. my father's bug. very distinctive smell....

a few years back there was a 912 sitting at an old gas station for sale, i regret not getting that car....
Old 01-26-2015, 03:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SaltyIrishman

Cayenne/Macan/SUV not so much, although the Cayenne S I drove in 2008 was impressive. I'd highly recommend that you look at the "last of the air cooled" Porsche 993 Carrera 4S or Turbo if you have 991 scratch, but that's just my $.02. You get the smell, sound, and '911-ness' of old with working A/C, high performance, and badass looks. And no matter how big 911s have gotten I have to think that they are kid seats--your kids will remember the awesome heater levers, Porsche smell and click of the door opening more than the 0-60 time...
SalytIrishman - It sounds like we might be of an age. I'll second the just "do it" sentiment.
Sometime back in the 90s or early 00s I remember a commercial for Porsche that showed a daughter missing the school-bus so that her father would have to drive her to school in his 911. Fast forward to the last few years and that's me and my daughters.

I drive an air-cooled 911 and love it ('84). It is a real throw-back, and a driver's car with zero electronic aides. The last of the generation 993 isn't quite as much of a knuckle-dragger, but compared to the modern D3 it's night-and-day, it's still a lot more work to drive well (clearly entirely different classes of cars, but the point is that if you're used to a modern car, an air-cooled 911 is a completely different animal to transfer to). A 996/997/991 is much more modern, refined and powerful, so it's worth driving a few different models to figure out what fits you. All that said, I think the classic air-cooled driving experience is much more engaging, so I feel fortunate to have found mine before prices skyrocketed.....
Old 01-26-2015, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by seamore2001
SalytIrishman - It sounds like we might be of an age. I'll second the just "do it" sentiment.
Sometime back in the 90s or early 00s I remember a commercial for Porsche that showed a daughter missing the school-bus so that her father would have to drive her to school in his 911. Fast forward to the last few years and that's me and my daughters.

I drive an air-cooled 911 and love it ('84). It is a real throw-back, and a driver's car with zero electronic aides. The last of the generation 993 isn't quite as much of a knuckle-dragger, but compared to the modern D3 it's night-and-day, it's still a lot more work to drive well (clearly entirely different classes of cars, but the point is that if you're used to a modern car, an air-cooled 911 is a completely different animal to transfer to). A 996/997/991 is much more modern, refined and powerful, so it's worth driving a few different models to figure out what fits you. All that said, I think the classic air-cooled driving experience is much more engaging, so I feel fortunate to have found mine before prices skyrocketed.....
My father had several air cooled 911s including a 1988 M491 cab which was just awesome. Nothing beats an air cooled Porsche. The 993 I think was a great mix of true everyday drivability with not too many electronic nannies and the same dash, smell and sound of the original 911. And you're right prices have gone through the roof.

My 993 I sold in 2007 with 45K miles for $41K. It was perfect and I had done some minor upgrades to it [996 steering wheel, 996 thin 5 spoke wheels, 996-style shift ****, HID, clear corner lights, all OEM]. I think I'd have to shell out $45K for a car with twice the miles now. I'll have another 993 someday but seeing the value of the early cars go into the stratosphere reminds me of a major lost opportunity on a 911S in the early 2000s when I was looking for my 993. I could have gotten it in the 20s. Yowza.

Last edited by SaltyIrishman; 01-26-2015 at 05:54 AM.