A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some information and assistance about headlamps

Old 08-16-2016, 01:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some information and assistance about headlamps

Recently I noticed my drivers side lowbeam was off and a warning lamp came up on the dash. I tried flipping on the high beam to see if those would work also. It seems the high beam is also not functioning on the drivers side as well. I turned the car off, and went into work for about an hour or so. Came out to the car and the lights worked again but went out about an hour later. Cause of this condition? Is the ballast connected to both the low beam and high beam bulbs? Or is the igniter not functioning? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 08-16-2016, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default Need some information and assistance...about your car first...

Originally Posted by Fashizzkes84
Recently I noticed my drivers side lowbeam was off and a warning lamp came up on the dash. I tried flipping on the high beam to see if those would work also. It seems the high beam is also not functioning on the drivers side as well. I turned the car off, and went into work for about an hour or so. Came out to the car and the lights worked again but went out about an hour later. Cause of this condition? Is the ballast connected to both the low beam and high beam bulbs? Or is the igniter not functioning? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Read sticky. Relevant here is that no idea year of your Audi, which motor (which affects which headlights), which lights themselves if an earlier year, etc.
Old 08-16-2016, 09:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Oh sorry, I thought that I was in the a8 d3 section. My car is a 2006 a8 base model with sport package.
Old 08-16-2016, 10:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

There is only one bulb for both low and high beam controlled by shutter. Most likely it is the bulb. Replace both of them with quality bulbs, Osram Nightbrakers for example and get much better light. You can also turn halogen flashing lights to be on with the high beams by changing US to ROW. You need VCDS for that.
Old 08-17-2016, 10:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the info mishar, you've been a great help yet again. Would you please direct me to a place where I can buy some bulbs? Maybe a part number I can reference? I can't seem to find anything suitable and eBay seems to be very generic. I've searched osram and just got "osram replacement or Phillips replacement" d2s bulbs.
Old 08-17-2016, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I bought mine on Amazon.
Old 08-17-2016, 10:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Audi D3 HIS bulbs are D2S as the size/firment designation. Thus, just look for a pair of Osram Nightbreakers in the D2S form factor. Then they are the correct physical size, base and electrical attachment configuration.

I use the Nightbreakers as well from my most recent bulb change. By 2000 hours HIDs can lose half their lumens, so on a 10 year old car if you do some math, easy to estimate it is likely past 2000 hours on original bulbs. Even at 5-6 years at an hour per day (night) average, it hits 2000 hours.
Old 08-18-2016, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

If buying by mail, I suggest Pelican Parts. This way you have recourse if counterfeit. Which in the case of Pelican has sold me genuine Osram. I personally wouldn't trust fly-by-night sellers on Amazon unless maybe it was Amazon themselves.
Remember, if a deal seems too good to be true, it is a scam/fake. Osram's website has counterfeit clues to help you.
Old 08-18-2016, 08:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

I bought a pair of Osram CBI from Amazon and are real happy with those. I am just passing the burn in but I like the temp on these much better than the OEM. They are not much different but very subtle. They are less blue than my 5000K HID fogs but whiter than stock. To me, OEM is too yellow, almost halogen in temp.
Old 08-22-2016, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TSHong
I bought a pair of Osram CBI from Amazon and are real happy with those. I am just passing the burn in but I like the temp on these much better than the OEM. They are not much different but very subtle. They are less blue than my 5000K HID fogs but whiter than stock. To me, OEM is too yellow, almost halogen in temp.
Agree with TSHong, Osram CBI have a nice crisp white (not blue) light that is whiter than stock or Night breakers. Have run them for about 1.5 years and very happy.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need some information and assistance about headlamps