A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 2006 Audi A8 D3 Owner

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 12:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default New 2006 Audi A8 D3 Owner

HI Everyone,

I'm new to Audi and new to the Forum of course.

Just purchased 2006 A8 L 4.2 with 62K miles. Interior called Amaretto or Cognac the dealer called them both. Location Ohio, USA.

I took it to JAX Florida last weekend and the WV turnpike was fun. Engine was smooth and it was fun to drive. I did 24 hours in 2 days and it was the most relaxing drive i have ever had.

I have viewed some of the forums and interested in NAV upgrade, adding mp3 function to CD player.

A couple of questions:
Where can i get the owners manual? I have searched but all online (or on-lie) sites are bogus. Also the DIY manual as I do my own repairs/maintenance.

What is the easiest way to get ipod music playing in the car?
What is the best way to get ipod music playing in the car?

Lastly my CD player skips every second and through research I found out that it is a security feature. Will the dealer charge to activate it? I have called but none will give straight answer and the place I bought it tried to connect with Audi but had problems.

Thanks

So excited and thoroughly impressed with the quality of a 10 year old car. Puts all my other previous luxury cars to shame.
Old 08-13-2015, 04:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I got my owner's manual from Ebay. Should run between $30-$50 It is more than a simple manual. It is a leather bound book cover with two manuals plus other documents.

Easiest way and best way to interface with an Ipod is to get the AMI unit for your car. A little pricey but worth it in my opinion. Takes about 45 minutes to install. It allows you to plug in ipods, iphones, USB sticks, etc into the car to play MP3 or AAC files. I was never successful getting a USB SSD or HDA to work reliably with the AMI. USB sticks are fine.

The dealer may or may not charge you for taking care of the CD changer. At most it would be 30 minutes to 60 minutes labor. It all depends on the service manager.

Last edited by richard-tx; 08-13-2015 at 04:51 AM.
Old 08-13-2015, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Welcome to the D3 world. See the sticky at the top of the D3 thread. Lots of information there. Including information about the service manual choices available. Also, you will need a Ross-tech diagnostic interface cable and their software for most diagnostic operations. That is also explained in the sticky, first post.

Years ago, I ordered all of the owner's manuals from the Audi USA website.NThey may not offer them anymore, but maybe a dealership parts department can. This way you would know you are getting everything available.

Last edited by Mister Bally; 08-13-2015 at 04:51 AM.
Old 08-14-2015, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I opted for the Bluetooth music connection (via installation of a Blackberry Stereo Gateway) as detailed here (instead of the AMI):
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...uired-2850146/

This has been great, and I even took this aporoach to install it on another vehicle of mine without a Bluetooth music connection.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Adding Bluetooth audio to the AMI is easy and cheap.

Here is what I bought for $29.00

Amazon.com: Indigo BTR9L Low Latency Wireless Bluetooth Stereo Transmitter and Receiver 2-in-1 Switchable Adapter for TVs, Computers, MP3 Players, iPods, Headphones: Electronics Amazon.com: Indigo BTR9L Low Latency Wireless Bluetooth Stereo Transmitter and Receiver 2-in-1 Switchable Adapter for TVs, Computers, MP3 Players, iPods, Headphones: Electronics

Old 08-16-2015, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for all the options. I will look into all the options.
Old 08-16-2015, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Cboogie
Thanks for all the options. I will look into all the options.
Finally Spoke with the Service department. Been calling for 2 weeks but they were always busy. They will charge me $130 which includes the labor, any they will down load and update any software that is needed. Maybe I'll get Mp3 capability on the CD changer

I'm looking into All the solutions provided thanks for the options.
Old 08-16-2015, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

I also found this ebay link for a service repair manual.

2000 2008 Audi A8 S8 Ultimate Factory Service Repair Manual Excellent Detail | eBay
Old 08-22-2015, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well I bit the bullet and just sent for a Vag-Com.
need to change the rear brakes with EPB and vag com can move the pistons
reset the oil indicator after changing oil. save about $75 doing it my self.
can get codes with out going to dealer. I have always done that on my other cars, it just did not cost this much.

I guess i can always help others with it in my area as well.

If the car did not already sway me. This purchase has made me an Audi-phile for life.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Not biting the bullet; more like a simple requirement of ownership for anyone who does their own service & maintenance on these vehicles.

Just as this and other things are described in the Sticky at the top of the D3 A8 Thread.

You will be happy you bought the interface the first time you reset the service indicator or troubleshoot a Check Engine light.

Quick Reply: New 2006 Audi A8 D3 Owner