A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New A8 owner. New Audi owner, lots of questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 02:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New A8 owner. New Audi owner, lots of questions

Just bought a 2004 A8. Few things that are quirky, some questions I have. Not mechanically retarted, hell I've changed the engine in my '03 ram. But this thing, well, you guys know.

My windshield washer icon is on, so I filled up the tank. Icon went away. Few days later, windshield was dirty. Literally sprayed for a few seconds, washed fine. Instantly the icon comes back. I put a whole gallon jug in it. Can't be that big of a tank, is it? Nothing on the ground when filled.

The light icon with an x in it is on when I turn on the headlights on or when it's in auto. I changed out the passing light bulbs. Which I've just learned that's what they even were. I thought they were the hi beam lights. Learned that there's also the drl's in the same cone on the headlight assembly. After changing out the passing bulbs, I still have the icon, and the passing lights still don't work. Are these two bulbs connected, if one is out the other won't work?

My ars light is on by the tach. (I think that's what it's called) I have no other lights on, just this one. I'm thinking while I was trolling this forum, I read that the maf sensor is for some reason tied into this system. Am I wrong? Every time I start the car, I can adjust the ride control in the MMI, no problems. Go down the road 10 - 15 miles, light comes on, and it's stuck in automatic and the other choices are grey, can't scroll to them.

After reading thru this forum for the last week, I know I need to get a vag cable. Just have to save up, because after what I've read, I need to get the Ross tech, and you guys know the price. Any help or guidance till then would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-24-2017, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

Welcome:

Windshield stuff can be cracked fill bottle, screwed up pump or cracked lines to either windshield squirters or headlight ones. Headlight ones more likely. For now, fill it with either cheap stuff or just water and watch for leaks. In winter you might just chalk up "water" on ground to weather or in summer AC condensation drain, so just be cognizant. Due to covers and trim underneath, leak may run onto something, but you often get a general idea where it is from where stuff falls on ground.

Bulbs, don't know.

ars? Not sure what that is and don't want to speculate. Check engine light? ABS? other. And yes, get the Ross Tech at now $200. That will tell you the answer most likely, and have paid for the $200 on first use.

Going down road and grays out. I think you mean suspension. Be careful. Clues compressor is being overworked. Read board even today and you see consequences. If car is dropping while parked, over night or even in a few days, that is not normal and you will eventually fry compressor. Thus, if a leak need to diagnose and fix before you have a second problem (compressor) and more $$ for that too. Ross Tech cable/scan may inform some, but just watching car drop is big clue together with the compressor overworking that there is a leak to deal with. Hundreds of posts now on it, so just jump into reading those. Literally every week pretty much another one.
Old 02-24-2017, 04:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks. Glad the cable came down. Saw in an older thread ~600. Had some sticker shock at first. I'll try and look for leaks this weekend. And you assumed correct on suspension. Haven't noticed it settling overnight. But have heard it randomly let out a little air after I parked in the drive and was walking around the front into the house. I just took it as it setting to park like the other air ride vehicles I've been around. Wasn't a big poof, just like it was leveling out in the drive. Guess what I'm trying to say is it sounded deliberate. Had bought LED for the DRL, but after reading the threads, I want to get the passing light figured out, so I can do the mod so they come on with hi beams. I know I'll get the icon when I put the led in the drl's.

Thanks again
Old 02-24-2017, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

There is a crack or broken line to your headlight washer or wiper line like MP has stated. When you fill it up, it wont leak unit you use it while you drive and it leaks down. It was a mystery for me with the same symptoms. I finally found it when I used the washer while I was sitting still to test and found a line leak behind the front bumper cover.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by Segur80
Thanks. Glad the cable came down. Saw in an older thread ~600. Had some sticker shock at first. I'll try and look for leaks this weekend. And you assumed correct on suspension. Haven't noticed it settling overnight. But have heard it randomly let out a little air after I parked in the drive and was walking around the front into the house. I just took it as it setting to park like the other air ride vehicles I've been around. Wasn't a big poof, just like it was leveling out in the drive. Guess what I'm trying to say is it sounded deliberate. Had bought LED for the DRL, but after reading the threads, I want to get the passing light figured out, so I can do the mod so they come on with hi beams. I know I'll get the icon when I put the led in the drl's.

Thanks again
No worries. On suspension some hear that little air exhale after exiting as a normal thing. Car re levels it self periodically including to deal with weight added or subtracted, including a driver, at least beyond jockey weight. I have used that to advantage while loading ridiculous weights into trunk in past at the hardware store, typically leaving motor running. It would leave other vehicles I have used to haul loads down on their knees/springs. Not this one. BUT, watch it overnight or especially on longer times parked like a vacation. If it goes down it isn't right and a sign of a leak you need to then attend to promptly.
Old 05-15-2019, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Sarder with Eucalyptus to add to above