A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New D3 Owner 05

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New D3 Owner 05

Hello to all im an unexperienced car owner lol, well not really just always leased my entire life but i decided to buy an 2005 A8 with 74k miles for the family and i have never gave audi a chance until my friend picked me up in his 2012 A8 which is a beautiful car. Im going to get one of those later on down the line but just trying to get alittle feedback from you helpful people, been a spectator for awhile and i must say all of you guys are very helpful.

So my 75k service is coming up and unfortunately if i go the audi route im spending atleast 1k ...

Just wanted to know what should i keep anopem eye for ?

For starters the gas latch isnt opening the gas tank so i have to manually do it and i also have to open the trunk with the key... From what i see these are common problems withthis car.

Also wanted to know can i put a 06 and up Grill on my 05 ?

Thanks and looking forward to getting to know you guys!
Old 08-19-2014, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Cucu Sofly

For starters the gas latch isnt opening the gas tank so i have to manually do it and i also have to open the trunk with the key... From what i see these are common problems withthis car...
Welcome. Where you at? Pics?

I can't help much with the questions except to say the gas cap and trunk both go to the same door switch... fuse? Switch? Also you have to hold the button down a couple seconds on the key fob to make the trunk unlock, and if the key is removed in the horizontal position, that locks the trunk so it can only be unlocked with the key, IIRC. Try taking the key out with the slot vertical (like lengthwise with the car).

Tom
Old 08-19-2014, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Welcome to the board!

Major thing that should be done soon is timing belt replacement. With it goes water pump, thermostat and few rollers. In order to do that front end has to come off, so it is pretty expensive if you have to pay for that. More like $2K+ and I am not even thinking about dealer.

Other than that you need to buy Ross-Tech VCDS. Scan will tell you if something is wrong. It is good to know even if you are going to have somebody to fix it for you. It may help with that trunk problem too. If not you have to go old school and find what is wrong with two actuators back there.

Check upper front link bushings. They are usually broken at that millage/age.

Forget face lift grill. It comes with new hood, bumper cover and headlights and not all of it is plug and play.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Yea im going to take it to audi real quick and great my mmi keeps closing and cutting off all of a sudden! But thanks mishar and atomic for your responses! I ll post a pic later
Old 08-19-2014, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

For the extra money you will spend there you can buy VCDS and at least know what is wrong. Without that you may end up paying for unnecessary replacements. You wouldn't be the first.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by mishar
For the extra money you will spend there you can buy VCDS and at least know what is wrong. Without that you may end up paying for unnecessary replacements. You wouldn't be the first.
Which vcd should i buy ? Also is it newb friendly lol because i know nothing of handy work...
Old 08-19-2014, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Which vcd should i buy ? Also is it newb friendly lol because i know nothing of handy work...
Hex USB Can

All new cars are operated/ran with a canbus system.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Buy this one and learn how to use it. Ross-Tech provides support and you can get help here.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks again guys for all the help my bro actually has the vcd but My Left rear light is out! Parking Brake,reverse, signal etc audi says I need an entire new light because its LED and not bulb and it cost $500. Any one know any sites that make after market or etc bcause I obviously have to buy the set for both sides because it would be pointless to but an entire left rear light and keep the old right rear light.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

That's why you should buy used one from eBay. You can return it if it doesn't work properly.

Quick Reply: New D3 Owner 05