A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Posters to this Forum; PLEASE READ THIS

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts
Default New Readers/Posters to this Forum; PLEASE READ THIS FIRST

NEW MEMBERS OF Audi A8/S8 D3 FAMILY:

Welcome to the forum. We are people from all over the world sharing the same passion – love for Audi A8/S8 D3. A number of folks here with lots of experience are always willing to help. Please help them to help you:

1. Help us all help you. Add your location to your profile. Audi’s around the world are not exactly the same. Add the model year to your signature. Many things changed from year to year. Plus, someone may be near you and can possibly help in person.

2. Search and get up to speed a bit first. Before asking a question use the advanced search option and search both threads and topics for the particular problem you are having. Experiment with associated key words and synonyms such as "front suspension noise," "front suspension groans," “bushing noise” etc. A Google search with key words and the term "AudiWorld" and “D3” sometimes gives even better results, especially using common advanced search logic for alternate terms or terms to exclude.

3. Invest in quality tools with good payback. Buy the Ross-Tech diagnostic interface for your vehicle, known as VCDS or by its prior name VAG-COM. Buy it directly from Ross-Tech; it is well worth the money. This is the one you need: Ross-Tech Store: VCDS License with HEX-USB+CAN Unlimted VIN (All VAG) . If you buy a cheap knock-off don’t expect trustworthy results. You will waste your time and the time of those trying to help you. The diagnostic information and support you get from the genuine product will be priceless even if you just need to know what’s wrong before taking your car to a shop. You can use it to reset the annoying "Service!" reminder too. Also realize SAE diagnostic code readers provide very limited information (basically just for the powertrain) and no information for most of the complicated subsystems of these vehicles. Odds are the questions you have involve one of the more complex systems on the vehicle. The $30 hand-held tools will not even yield you $30 worth of data nor will they reset that pesky Service reminder.

4. Invest in the service manual for the car, or the service shop manual online access. Bentley is the standard manufacturer supported manual and is available via CD/DVD. Unfortunately it only runs on the old Windows XP O/S. Having an old laptop for it and VCDS can make a great shop tool. If you don’t have access to an XP laptop, you can also use online subscription manuals like alldata https://www.alldatadiy.com/buy/index.html Manuals help you to resolve many problems yourself, or at least ask the right questions and clearly understand the answers. The manuals also have the Technical Service Bulletins (TSB’s) Audi published for the D3, which often reflect common problems and updates, and the factory solution and procedure. One other idea for a low cost XP Laptop is to ask at a local computer store for a used one.

5. Leverage parts diagram resources. Parts diagrams available on line can help you visualize a given subsystem of the vehicle, understand parts naming and track down items you may need with some guidance on likely cost. A variety of Audi dealers now sell genuine parts on line, as do some independents. Many on line dealers have decent parts diagrams, as well as their pricing. Parts diagrams are also available in Audi’s “EKTA” form (like the dealer parts counters use) from sites like partscats. Audi Teile Katalog Volkswagen Ersatzteile Skoda Parts Seat online BMW Teile EKTA diagrams like these often have many different options and variants found worldwide, so be prepared to search for your motor, option code or other specifics.

6. Audi support. For USA owners, maintenance schedules can be found here: Audi Maintenance & Fuel Requirements | Audi USA You can check your Audi’s recall history here: Audi Recall Services by Vehicle Identification Number

7. Pay it back and maybe forward. Offer some help to others in your comfort and experience zone.

8. Back to VCDS. Don't just run a diagnostic scan and copy & paste it here. First save and reset all codes, drive the vehicle for a few minutes and re-scan. That will focus on a set of present codes instead of useless history. Investigate those codes. Consult the service manual, relevant TSB’s, Ross-Tech Wiki <http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page> and search/Google it. Most of the answers are already there. People here will help you if you don’t understand something, but you should be ready for that.

9. Use standard automotive troubleshooting techniques. The VCDS software may indicate a burnt out lamp or voltage out of range/ground open, or say, the WABCO Electronically Controlled Air Suspension (ECAS) compressor. But, a blown fuse or corroded connector can be detected only by you looking at your vehicle components. Use a multimeter and electrical system wiring diagram to figure it out. The knowledge you gain will pay off right away and you will be able to post answers here for future users.

10. Common repairs and questions. The Upper Control Arm bushings go bad quite often on the D3. if you hear a crunching or squeaking noise, you probably need to replace them. Dozens, make that hundreds of threads are out there. Read them and heed the advice. Lots and lots of history and posts on the trunk operating components, air suspension, TPMS sensor life/replacement options and MMI updating as similar examples. Cases like these are not unique for sure. Don't buy aftermarket parts for the suspension, the timing belt (when applicable) and water pump as you will be doing the repair job twice. It is not worth it. A low price is soon forgotten when poor quality rears its ugly head.

Let's hope all of us have many motoring miles and smiles, or kilometers and smiles in our A8/S8's.

Last edited by Mister Bally; 02-21-2015 at 06:38 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Mister Bally:
06A8LwestA (08-26-2021), hory (03-08-2024), leanne holness (03-19-2022), RizoMan (05-24-2023), sapman (09-09-2019)
Old 01-07-2015, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default +1

Well said Mister Bally. This will help everybody.
Old 01-07-2015, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Could we have this made sticky
Old 01-07-2015, 08:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by haggisuk
Could we have this made sticky
+1 On that too. Or is it +2
Old 01-08-2015, 02:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For those with Macs, Windows XP can be run in a Virtual Machine, like VMware Fusion or Parallels.
I run VCDS this way in a Parallels VM on my Mac, and I believe one can also run a VM of Windows XP on a PC.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by EHLO
For those with Macs, Windows XP can be run in a Virtual Machine, like VMware Fusion or Parallels.
I run VCDS this way in a Parallels VM on my Mac, and I believe one can also run a VM of Windows XP on a PC.
Have you tried running the Bentley service manual this way?
Old 01-08-2015, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
Have you tried running the Bentley service manual this way?
That's how I used to do it - XP in a VM on a Mac.

It's not cheap though.
Something like $90 for Parallels and then you need a legal copy of Windows.
Since I already have that for work it was a no brainer for me.
Old 01-08-2015, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Bootcamp is another option

I run a MBP and have bootcamp partition with Win 7 64 bit so I can do VCDS and Solidworks but within that I have the Windows XP virtual machine to run Bentley, ELSA & ETKA It works well and never had any issues with it.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't have Bentley yet, but I'm running SolidWorks, VCDS, ElsaWin, ETKA and Ulead VideoStudio for a Ridgid SeeSnake micro borescope and 45 degree mirror to inspect and record the condition of the valves from the spark plug hole, within my MacBook Air's Parallels XP VM.
An advantage over using bootcamp is that a reboot is not needed to use Windows.

Last edited by EHLO; 01-08-2015 at 07:19 AM.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mister Bally it looks like my request to sticky this thread was approved

Since you started the thread, you may lock it if you so wish.

Quick Reply: New Posters to this Forum; PLEASE READ THIS