A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie With Dumb Question About Dash

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie With Dumb Question About Dash

Greetings all. I recently picked up a 2008 S8 with 35K miles that is in excellent condition. I treated the leather seats then noticed the dash and door panels also covered with leather. Is this real leather that I need to treat with Lexol or is it a pleather?

Thanks,
Old 02-03-2016, 09:03 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello Brian,

You're not a Newbie..... LOL

BrianE
AudiWorld Senior Member

Anyway, I have the full leather package in my 05 W12, and it is real, do you have the stitching, post a picture, but I am guessing that you have the full leather package also.

Attached Thumbnails Newbie With Dumb Question About Dash-47.png  

Last edited by JohnnyJ A6Q; 02-03-2016 at 09:07 AM.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

Real leather. Look for the stitching around the passenger side airbag area as the easy way to spot 'em from a picture. Doors will have the leather too (at least on a full leather US one); you look for more built up look on top edge near windows, plus the stitching. Yes you Lexol it the same way as seats for anything leather. BTDT. I do steering wheel as well. Some parts of the door are the vegan variety BTW even in "full" leather--alcantara areas already aside--so you only do parts of it.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 02-03-2016 at 09:37 AM.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts

Nice find on a low mileage 2008 S8! Photos?
Old 02-03-2016, 08:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Johnny, MP and 2001. Yes it has the stitching so I will use the Lexol. Will post some pictures when I clean her up. Just had a foot of snow so will need to clean. I did a three step detail first and second night but then the snow hit. Need more time on the interior but inside and out, it is a very clean car. Only one minor ding to be critical of for now.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Lexolwill make the dash shiny

Originally Posted by BrianE
Thanks Johnny, MP and 2001. Yes it has the stitching so I will use the Lexol. Will post some pictures when I clean her up. Just had a foot of snow so will need to clean. I did a three step detail first and second night but then the snow hit. Need more time on the interior but inside and out, it is a very clean car. Only one minor ding to be critical of for now.
I personally despise a shiny dash...you'll take an ultra expensive feature in your car and make it appear as a piece of molded plastic. If you feel you must treat it with something, use Leatherique. Leatherique has the unique attribute among leather care of leaving leather with the dull, new look the leather had when new. Or at least as close as can be had after the fact.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by awdinut
I personally despise a shiny dash...you'll take an ultra expensive feature in your car and make it appear as a piece of molded plastic. If you feel you must treat it with something, use Leatherique. Leatherique has the unique attribute among leather care of leaving leather with the dull, new look the leather had when new. Or at least as close as can be had after the fact.
Lexol doesn't make the leather shiny.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack88
+1
Old 02-06-2016, 09:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Default semantics perhaps...

Originally Posted by Jack88
Maybe it doesnt create what you call a 'shiny' surface, but will you concede that the leather has MORE specularity after applying Lexol than before the Lexol was applied ? That Lexolcreates specularity that was not there before and Leatherique does not is my point...whether the level of specularity is accepatable is up to personal taste I guess. But closer to NO specularity is closer to new appearance.
Old 02-07-2016, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by awdinut
Maybe it doesnt create what you call a 'shiny' surface, but will you concede that the leather has MORE specularity after applying Lexol than before the Lexol was applied ? That Lexolcreates specularity that was not there before and Leatherique does not is my point...whether the level of specularity is accepatable is up to personal taste I guess. But closer to NO specularity is closer to new appearance.
That's odd, I can't say that any time I've used Lexol that it looks any different. It will have a slight increased shine for an hour or two after application, but that goes away very quickly. Armor All, on the other hand...

Quick Reply: Newbie With Dumb Question About Dash