A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newer Style Key Fob

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 08:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newer Style Key Fob

Gang,

Does anyone know if this newer style key fob can be programmed to work with our A8/S8 cars? If not, has anyone attempted to remove the guts from our earlier style (rectangle) and work them into this newer style fob? I have not opened up our current ones to see if the circuit board could be cut/shaved down to fit into this shell. If the rubberized push pads are in the same locations it might be doable. Thoughts???
Attached Images  
Old 01-22-2015, 08:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I think that it can't be programmed and that it is impossible to switch circuit board.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I investigated this the other day and as far as I've read so far it can't be done. Those keys are quite different ( they contain a log file of the cars error codes for starters!).

The inside of the remote is too narrow for the circuit board and so you can't change it over.

It appears as though the only option is to use a Bentley key but then your stuck with a bentley logo which I think would be a bit naff.

I'm toying with the idea of creating my won replacement shell and I'm currently trying to find a local firm with cnc machines who could either cut a shell out of plastic or cut molds out of metal so I can make a carbon fibre case in a different style to the standard one. It'll probably end up being one of my many unfinished projects though.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Can this one fit ?? I found it on ebay that should replace Bentley remote key:

Old 01-23-2015, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^if so, we just need to find someone who can fab an Audi or S/ logo that would fit the screw in for the face. Would be up for putting some money towards that if someone wants to research it and the guts can easily transfer over
Old 01-23-2015, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 93 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffthegeek
Those keys are quite different ( they contain a log file of the cars error codes for starters!).
My understanding is the error code log is located in the car's electronics (I believe the ECU), not in the key fob.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
My understanding is the error code log is located in the car's electronics (I believe the ECU), not in the key fob.
My wife's a6 has the new style key and when we drop it in for service they put the key in a scanner connected to the receptionist s pc and saves a copy of the log file. I don't think it is a complete history but certainly the last few errors are held on the key (as well as still being on the ecu).
Old 01-23-2015, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default shave/cut down

Originally Posted by jeffthegeek
I investigated this the other day and as far as I've read so far it can't be done. Those keys are quite different ( they contain a log file of the cars error codes for starters!).

The inside of the remote is too narrow for the circuit board and so you can't change it over.

It appears as though the only option is to use a Bentley key but then your stuck with a bentley logo which I think would be a bit naff.

I'm toying with the idea of creating my won replacement shell and I'm currently trying to find a local firm with cnc machines who could either cut a shell out of plastic or cut molds out of metal so I can make a carbon fibre case in a different style to the standard one. It'll probably end up being one of my many unfinished projects though.
Are you certain that the circuit board cant be shaved/cut down to be wedged into the newer fob?
Old 01-23-2015, 10:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by hunterp27
Are you certain that the circuit board cant be shaved/cut down to be wedged into the newer fob?
I'be looked through my internet history but can't find the site now, but someone tried it. The circuit has tracks on the edge you need to shave down and whilst it can be done with time and extra wires it was very unreliable and the guy said it wasn't worth the effort - he went down the Bentley key route. There is a post on here somewhere (page 2 at the moment I think) which discusses the Chinese Bentley knockoffs and it seems they can be hit and miss as well.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I bought my A8 with one key, and when I took it to Audi, in November they gave me a brand new key for free. It was the old style, however. With my Mercedes, MBUSA gave me the newer chromed out style for my CLK. Generally since these German car keys are coming from the manufacturer and not the dealer, if they can ship,the newest key they have in stock in for,your car, they do so. Just makes sense for ordering and inventory purposes. I asked Audi if they could get me the newer style, and the short answer was no. Now, even with this BRAND NEW key it really doesn't function all that well. 60% of the time it has to be fairly close to the car for the car to register it, it's not programmed for the convenience open, sometimes it tells me "Key not in vehicle?" etc. Where as my 9 year old key works like a champ. So shaving down a circuit board and reworking one probably will give you so/so results at best. Just my humble opinion, but don't do! lol