A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nice D3 for cash-strapped enthusiast...

Old 09-13-2014, 08:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Nice D3 for cash-strapped enthusiast...

<a href="http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/4665473083.html">Browsing through Craigslist and stumble into this "seems to be nice" car</a>. If I don't have a D3 and low on cash, I would check out this one.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 09-13-2014, 08:42 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

Nice looking car. Just like mine. Nearby too (chicagoland). Very cheap so I wonder what's lurking?
Old 09-14-2014, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Looks just like mine. Although mine has about 225k on the clock.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Default If there are no issues, great deal

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
<a href="http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/4665473083.html">Browsing through Craigslist and stumble into this "seems to be nice" car</a>. If I don't have a D3 and low on cash, I would check out this one.

Cheers,

Louis
The biggest issue with 2004 is oil change in my mind. But if you vacuum out thru the dipstick tube, no problems.
Timing belt, brakes, maybe tires and it should be good to go. The CA bushing and links. So 4,500.00 to fix all the known possible maintenance. 13,000.00 for one with new tires, new brakes, timing belt and refreshed suspension. May not need all these.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Panelhead
The biggest issue with 2004 is oil change in my mind. But if you vacuum out thru the dipstick tube, no problems.
Timing belt, brakes, maybe tires and it should be good to go. The CA bushing and links. So 4,500.00 to fix all the known possible maintenance. 13,000.00 for one with new tires, new brakes, timing belt and refreshed suspension. May not need all these.
If one has to spend $4,5K to fix $8.5K car he should buy something else, may be Civic or Corolla. All that DIY can be easily fixed for less than $2K, including new tires. Keeping all records might get some of that money back on resale.

I am not sure how vacuuming oil would make oil change on 2004 considerably easier. Problem is not with draining but with oil filter and no vacuuming can help there.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by mishar
If one has to spend $4,5K to fix $8.5K car he should buy something else, may be Civic or Corolla. All that DIY can be easily fixed for less than $2K, including new tires. Keeping all records might get some of that money back on resale.

Oh, Misha; such a pessimist! Plus the ad says it has new tires! I'm guessing he bought it, it ate the tires in 15k miles, he took it to several shops who couldn't work on Audi Alignment, then to the dealer who quoted him $2500 for UCAs, LCAs, and $2500 for other things they found (CV boots, brakes, TREs, blinker fluid) ; and he went to the parking lot and banged ot the CL ad before the new tires wear out!

Originally Posted by mishar
I am not sure how vacuuming oil would make oil change on 2004 considerably easier. Problem is not with draining but with oil filter and no vacuuming can help there.
Hey, just because you forgot to put a 12" long suction tube on your fancy cap so the oil could be sucked out of the filter housing without removing the airbox, don't blame us...

Actually has anyone considered a remote filter for the D3? Design THAT, Misha! A cap that replaces filter and old cap, with nice A/N fittings and braided steel flex lines. Adds 2 liters capacity, so we wouldn't have all these 5-liter jugs with a quart of Mobil1 kicking around; it'd take an even 2 gallons!
Of course the damned little hex plug that drains the oil filter housing into your face and onto the alternator would have to be somehow eliminated.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Panelhead
The biggest issue with 2004 is oil change in my mind. But if you vacuum out thru the dipstick tube, no problems...
REAL MEN don't use oil evac pumps... they lay beneath the potentially deadly weight of the car and let the hot oil drench their arm as the gigantic Audi plug releases the torrent of scalding black liquid all at once... then continues to dribble for six hours.

Kidding but ya gotta get under there and look things over once in a while! (My first oil change on the 4.2 I absorbed the 1/2 cup left in the filter housing with old towels). Pre-bentley.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Everyone is right but this one may be a problems free

I like to buy cars from private owners, simple descriptions (no sales pitch), driving daily and well kept. How many people in this forum have bought cars from "holes in the wall used car dealers" and had to fix something as soon as they drive it off the lot?

Why would I buy this car? It seems to be a well kept car, regardless on how firm he is with the price, I'm pretty sure I can get this car with a cashier check for $8000 (cash is still king)if all the features of the car is working and it seems to be.

The car has 109k miles, I'm pretty sure that the timing belt has been changed because normal people are extremely paranoid. Regardless, I'll open the cover and check for the timing belt wear and leave it if it's still good.

Drive the car for 2 years or 30k miles and sell it for $4.5k if the car is kept as nice @139k miles.
Drive the car for 3 years or 45k miles and sell it for $2.5k....
The cost of driving this car will be amazingy inexpensive.
This is how I buy and drive Audis.
"if it ain't broken, don't fix it"
"if I want some extra features, buy the one that has all"

Cheers,

Louis
Old 09-14-2014, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by aTOMic*
Actually has anyone considered a remote filter for the D3?
Of course! What kind of an engineer would change oil on BFM engine and not think about that! But not cap. Replacing all crazy assemble of oil cooler, infamous plastic pipe that leaks and oil filter and replacing it with stand alone, easy to access assemble connected to the engine with proper hoses. Done many times on racing cars.

I just wonder why The Art of Engineering didn't flip that filter upside down and used simple cartridge filter like everybody else. That would make oil change Mr. Lube's job $35. Yes, I've heard environmental story, but I think it is stupid.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
Everyone is right but this one may be a problems free
BwaHahaha, it'd be the first!

You do make some good points there. Also, make the check $7000; run an Auto-Scan and show him all that's "wrong" with it... Nah, that'd just be mean.

Louis, can you wire up our little side turn signals to be sequential? I need this! How much?
-Tom

Search this Thread