A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OEM Ceramic Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

If the 13" F1 wheels are the best compromise, why are Lotus and Pirelli testing 18" rims with low profile tires, claiming it will improve performance, durability and safety?

The changes could be implemented for the 2017 season.
Old 10-27-2014, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by NightOwl
If the 13" F1 wheels are the best compromise, why are Lotus and Pirelli testing 18" rims with low profile tires, claiming it will improve performance, durability and safety?

The changes could be implemented for the 2017 season.
Just testing doesn't prove anything. Testing just larger wheels with everything else unchanged is way from any final conclusion. Only thing they can find out that way is how bad it will perform over the curbs. I would think more about that when I see Ferrari, McLaren, Red Bull or Mercedes testing 18's.

Just how lost those brakes look there:

Name:  F118s_zps797d8031.jpg
Views: 1822
Size:  48.0 KB
Old 10-27-2014, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 124 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by mishar
+1 where "far more resistant to fade on heavy use" is the point. They won't loose friction on much higher temperatures, even glowing hot. Than that hot they can dissipate much more of braking energy than conventional brakes because of temperature difference between rotors and cooling fluid, in this case air.

Other two advantages are kinda annulled by required bigger wheels and extremely high maintenance costs. If they make them for 18" wheels it would be a different story.
Yeah...I wasn't speaking specifically to the A8, just in general comparing apples to apples. But if you're running 20s, they're going to be lighter than iron disks.

Not sure where the "extremely high maintenance costs" comes in to play. For most of us, the ceramics would be a "lifetime" solution, i.e., no maintenance other than a pad drop. At the dealer, my brakes are a $1k service (frt only) at the 40k-50k milestone and $1,800 (all 4) from 80k-100k. That adds up quickly, and does not count the loss of use time. Don't know the price of ceramics as an add, but $5,600 for brakes over the normal lifespan is not cheap.
Old 10-27-2014, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 124 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by mishar
Starting from the best weight, handling, acceleration and braking wise, Formula 1 wheels:

To the next best, Audi Etron Quatro wheels:

It is obvious that smaller rim and more sidewall works best. I can say that from my own experience with 18's and 20's. I would go to 16's if I can get serious brakes for that size.
Interesting...it's counter-intuitive to believe taller sidewalls will give better overall performance. Perhaps it is at the lighter weight (though they do run some significant downforce) that the taller sidewalls work? But, I can tell you from experience that with our beasts, the shorter sidewall gives you less flex and a more controlled experience in high cornering force applications. Whether that translates to faster, etc. I don't know. I do know the larger, heavier rims do sap HP, however.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts
Default On the real world but somewhat dated side of things,

Car & Driver did a same car test of wheel and tire fitments back in 2010 on a Golf. They covered the 16-19" spectrum. Its a transverse platform in all of different weight, performance and drivetrain classes, but at least it gives some comparative sense of pluses and minuses of wheel swapping in a given car. The discussion here is actually about brakes, but some of the voting mass subjects have come in too.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts
Default Further to the "hobby side"...

...hmmm, brakes (or rather, mostly the rotors) way pricy but coming down if you shop long and hard, can decipher the specs and crossovers.

...hmmm, at last check R8 was still on D3/"older" hub center pattern that is subtle on brake rotor crossovers.

...hmmm, R8 front (not rear) ceramic set up is literally the same as D3 for the critical parts; only significant/not usable difference is in the dust/heat/water/shield that I have found.

...hmmm, used R8's getting more rational on price.

...hmmm, D4 not quite getting my fancy and D3 W12 has plenty of life, freshness and uniqueness by me (save for maybe a 2015 W12 circa 2017 CPO).

...hmmm, as someone else flagged, A8 AND R8 are supposed to be the halo cars.

...hmmm, empty nester family now, and have the almost new Q5 alternate snow ride.

Connect the dots. I could get 200K+ miles out of a decent (front) rotor set with more than one way/ride to skin the proverbial cat, and some of the decent pad sets are literally <$100. Even w/ their expense, 20-30x cheaper than added $ in to a newer ride, and I keep stumbling on the real added value with mine well kept up. As a W12, it already checks the novel ride kind of boxes by me. If it stretches the smile factor I still have a few more years while the interesting replacement takes the ever reliable Audi depreciation nose, fun can still pencil out too.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 10-27-2014 at 05:07 PM.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by A8bil
Interesting...it's counter-intuitive to believe taller sidewalls will give better overall performance. Perhaps it is at the lighter weight (though they do run some significant downforce) that the taller sidewalls work? But, I can tell you from experience that with our beasts, the shorter sidewall gives you less flex and a more controlled experience in high cornering force applications. Whether that translates to faster, etc. I don't know. I do know the larger, heavier rims do sap HP, however.
Shorter sidewall gives deceptive feeling of a better handling. Some bumps and grip is gone because that stiff tire would jump of the pavement. Deeper sidewalls would flex and keep contact with ground. Flax is good. That's why serious racing cars have deeper sidewalls. Lower moment of inertia too.

Speaking about flex in chasing grip:

Name:  DragsterWheel_zpsb6f9097e.jpg
Views: 1835
Size:  133.7 KB
Old 10-29-2014, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Mikulik,
You don't say where you live; I'm curious.
Also, google "a8parts uk forum"; they have a good group, and the site is sponsored by an Audi speciality "breaker"(British for what we in the US refer to as a "Junkyard" or car dismantler). You can call them or email for parts availability.
Welcome to AW!
-Tom
Old 11-01-2014, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's what someone is doing with their current version S6;
S6 Ceramic Brakes - Retrofit?
Old 11-01-2014, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think ceramics = really expensive. My 2011 S4 with 44000 miles needed new front pads. I went with Hawk 5.0 performance ceramic pads from Tirerack - $135? for the front set. Very happy with them - no dust. Got StopTech cryo drilled rotors too.
Midas charged me $165 for the install.

Quick Reply: OEM Ceramic Brakes