A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

An ounce of Pinch Bolt prevention

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default An ounce of Pinch Bolt prevention

So, the pinch bolt in the Audi upper control arm setup that the D3 (and other Audis) uses has been the cause of much consternation to members here and Audi owners (and I would assume shop techs also) everywhere. Heck, that bolt is so bad, very expensive tools have been developed just for it's removal.

And you say, "OK, Ohsigmachi, what's your point."

This winter I replaced most of my suspension normal wear items, and while doing so I stumbled upon a pretty good way of 1) getting the boogers out and 2) making sure they stay easy to get out.

I found that applying heat from a harbor freight 1500w heat gun at several points along the bolt's length (at the head, and through both "pinch points" in the steering knuckle) until the bolt is piping hot and then hitting it with aerokroil (applied at the same places) got the bolts out without much drama.

And you say, "Yeah, yeah, heat and penetrating oil, nothing new there."

Ok, ok, you're right.

So, when I did that suspension maintenance I decided to do a little test. A new pinch bolt was installed on both sides, one coated along the unthreaded portion with a good coat of Sta-lube Moly-graph lithium grease, the other coated with Boeshield T-9.

This weekend, due to air suspension failure, I replaced both front shocks and rebuilt the compressor. When I went to take out the pinch bolts from both sides the Boeshield side came out MUCH easier. It needed no penetrating oil and slid out with just me grabbing the hex head and giving it a good yank. The grease side was much worse and require considerable "persuasion."

Automotive & Motorcycle | Boeshield T-9®

Cheers and happy labor day!
Old 09-08-2015, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IIRC Boeshield was developed by the engineers at Boeing for the same reasons you like it.

Good stuff....
Old 09-09-2015, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I was thinking that the issue is actually galvanic corrosion between the steel bolt and the aluminum casting. If so maybe something like Never-Seize (nickel version) would work well? I don't know if the copper version is any better or worse than nickel.

Last edited by richard-tx; 09-09-2015 at 05:01 AM.
Old 09-10-2015, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

I think a little more background info on this is needed to make a concise decision. How many miles did you put on the vehicle after you replaced the bolts? What climate do you live in? Did the vehicle see salt? Which side of the vehicle did you use the Boeshield? If it was US Passenger side, it may have seen less salt spray than the drivers side. Doesn't seem like it but I see more cars with corrosion and rust on the drivers side due to the spray from passing vehicles. I definitely think you're on to something and it's interesting to see the testing. Thanks for sharing your findings!
Old 03-29-2016, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by When I went to take out the pinch bolts from both sides the Boeshield side came out MUCH easier. It needed no penetrating oil and slid out with just me grabbing the hex head and giving it a good yank. The grease side was much worse and require considerable "persuasion."

[url=http://boeshield.com/automotive-motorcycle/
Automotive & Motorcycle | Boeshield T-9®[/url]

Cheers and happy labor day!
Just a little known fact that passenger side suspension components wear faster normally to that side of lane generally being subjected to being pretty nasty.
With that being said I need to ask what type of weather this is subjected to as well, as this will have a huge contributing factor on mounting component corrosion and wear.
Keep this in mind when keeping a clear conscience on lubricating vs anti corrosion sprays. Can't forget about movement associated with bolt and/or component, how protected it really is from the elements as well...
Consider everything, not just "the spray you used".