A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P2020 and p2015 Intake Flap Codes

Old 10-06-2015, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

This is the A8 D3 forum. Not sure if the motors are the same.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah ok thanks!
Old 08-03-2016, 04:27 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jakematic
#'s 18 and 19. Not the intake manifold runner - I was thinking the same thing and got rather confused.

Implausible signal typically means electrical issues Mike.
Check the harness as well, especially and grounding points/tracks.

Hello, I'm reading through this thread as I think I have the same problem but I am having a little trouble understanding the system based on the discussion. Per the diagram it looks like there is one motor with a single linkage connection that controls what? An intake flap? Then there is another motor that connects to two other linkages, each fitted with feedback potentiometers. What are they?

I need to get the codes off mine, but I'm first trying to understand how this system operates so I don't just shotgun parts at it until it worky.

What should I see with engine static vs. just starting up? When I start the engine cold it runs poorly (sometimes) almost like it's missing or has vacuum leak, then smoothes out. Check engine light used to come on intermittently, then clear itself. Now on steady with no ability to clear (immediately comes back). Like I said I need to get the codes.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Pizzola
Hello, I'm reading through this thread as I think I have the same problem but I am having a little trouble understanding the system based on the discussion. Per the diagram it looks like there is one motor with a single linkage connection that controls what? An intake flap? Then there is another motor that connects to two other linkages, each fitted with feedback potentiometers. What are they?

I need to get the codes off mine, but I'm first trying to understand how this system operates so I don't just shotgun parts at it until it worky.

What should I see with engine static vs. just starting up? When I start the engine cold it runs poorly (sometimes) almost like it's missing or has vacuum leak, then smoothes out. Check engine light used to come on intermittently, then clear itself. Now on steady with no ability to clear (immediately comes back). Like I said I need to get the codes.
Back up a step or two. First, per sticky, which motor do you have? What year? Much of this thread went in direction of FSI 4.2 IIRC. If port 4.2 (or and S8 or W12, or for non-North America some others) can be different or sometimes not even applicable. Need some basics so folks don't make mistaken assumptions. Best to include them in your avatar or signature, but at least the thread post if not.
Old 08-03-2016, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Back up a step or two. First, per sticky, which motor do you have? What year? Much of this thread went in direction of FSI 4.2 IIRC. If port 4.2 (or and S8 or W12, or for non-North America some others) can be different or sometimes not even applicable. Need some basics so folks don't make mistaken assumptions. Best to include them in your avatar or signature, but at least the thread post if not.
My apologies. Sticky? I reread my post but didn't catch that. By static I mean engine not running and the related position of links. I will add the proper info to my profile once on a laptop.

I have the 4.2 FSI.

I found one of the linkages popped off. Needless to say won't be going back to that shop. Explains why maybe didn't reset. Still think I have a problem though. Watched electric motor on engine position linkages after startup. Not sure though what I'm looking at. When I can send a pic I will. Thanks.
Old 08-03-2016, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Pizzola
My apologies. Sticky? I reread my post but didn't catch that. By static I mean engine not running and the related position of links. I will add the proper info to my profile once on a laptop.

I have the 4.2 FSI.

I found one of the linkages popped off. Needless to say won't be going back to that shop. Explains why maybe didn't reset. Still think I have a problem though. Watched electric motor on engine position linkages after startup. Not sure though what I'm looking at. When I can send a pic I will. Thanks.
Thanks. Sticky = permanent post at very top of p. 1 of AW D3 board screen.

So on follow up I don't have much to add, but good you found the link issue. Will definitely help overall performance feel. One pointer and tip--watch the replies (or info in searches). From the diagram and discussion of electric motors below, I think the design changed somewhat from the port motor used earlier, and then the FSI motor. Most posts (and experience) on this subject seem to be with the port motor; this is one of the few threads I remember that ended up w/ FSI discussion. You can also find FSI in C6 A6 4.2's and Q7 4.2's. Probably a fair number more of them than D3 4.2 FSI's if you do some searching for issues, description, etc. My A6 4.2 was port era, so the older one.

Page below is basic description from the 4.2 FSI SSP publication. IIRC correctly the old port 4.2 SSP had more on it, but might help you get up to speed on theory of it. The discussion is about Q7, but should apply to your FSI A8. If it mentions RS4, that is the "other" higher performance and higher strung variant found there and in R8's.
Attached Thumbnails P2020 and p2015 Intake Flap Codes-screen-shot-2016-08-03-4.56.54-pm.png  

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 08-03-2016 at 04:02 PM.
Old 08-03-2016, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
This was perfect. Huge help thanks. I'm thinking I will clear the fault and run it. Check for any binding on intake flaps and possibly end up replacing the motor or testing it on a bench if problem persists. Again thank you! Where do you guys get this info?!
Old 09-23-2016, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Sorry for the delay in the update on this. Replaced motor and safety wired linkages to prevent them popping out again. So far so good.
Old 02-24-2020, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I have a 2009 Audi A8 L 4.2 FSI I had a constant misfire on cylinder 5 so I took the intake manifold off and mistakenly unhooked the upper arm on the intake. Now I cant get the motor to move to reattach. I was hoping to get this link back on before reinstalling the intake. Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 02-26-2020, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should be able to move the flaps by hand. If there is resistance, then there is some obstruction with the flaps.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: P2020 and p2015 Intake Flap Codes